• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Changing Tire Size / Splash Screen / Fog Lights With Headlights Using FORScan

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Changing Tire Size With FORScan:

In order for the speedometer to read correctly you need to change the tire size programmed into the Ranger.

First go Forscan and download Forscan for your computer:

Download FORScan

Then sign up for a 2-month free extended license key:

Support Request (forscan.org)

When you run Forscan on your computer click the 'about' icon on the lower left that looks like a steering wheel with a question mark. This is where you'll enter the license key that Forscan will email you. The key will be a file that you download. To install the key you'll click a button which will bring up a window where you'll click on the file you downloaded.

You'll need to go to Amazon and order this OBDLink EX FORScan OBD Adapter:

When you get the adapter and plug it in to your laptop (I have Windows) it will load the necessary driver in to your computer.

Now you just plug it in to your computers USB port and the OBD port on your Ranger.

Turn the key to the on position and click the 'Connect To Vehicle' icon in the lower left part of the screen.

I don't remember where I got this when I first used it, but you'll see a message about switching to real mode. Click Yes.

You'll get a window pop up telling you to make sure your key is in the ON position. Click OK.

You may also get a message telling you that the software in your adapter isn't up to date and it will update it. Click to allow it to update and make sure you have an internet connection to do so.

While connecting to the truck I got this warning message telling me that my adapter was not optimized for maximum performance and asked me if I wanted to improve the baud rate. I chose No since there was a warning that it may not work on some adapters. I may check Yes in the future.

When the vehicle is connected the 'Interface' and 'Vehicle' indicators in the bottom left will glow green instead of red.

Click the 'Configuration and Programming' button (3rd button from the bottom in the left column). This will load up the modules.

Scroll down to the BdyCM Body Control Module and click on it. Then click the 'Run' arrow button at the bottom left. That will load the module.

Scroll down to 'Tire Circumference mm' and then click the 'Edit Selected' button.

A window will open and allow you to change the tire size in mm (millimeters).

If you need to know your tire size in millimeters, go to https://tirecalculator.com

For me, https://tirecalculator.com/295-70r17-tires tells me that my 295/70/17 tires have a 2656 mm circumference. However that site says that tire size is 33.3-inches in diameter and Thunderer says that my tires are 33.5 inches in diameter, so I used https://tirecalculator.com/285-60r20-tires because that tire is 33.5-inches which has a circumference of 2669, but the speedometer read 3 miles an hour too fast, so I tweaked that number down lower.

Anyway, you can see where I had already changed it to 2669. I'm going to change it to 2656. Once you change it click the check mark button.

To get it to actually save you need to click the 'Write' button that's next to the 'Edit selected' button. It will ask you to confirm your changes. In the pic below you can see that I'm changing from 2669 to 2656. Click the check mark button.

When you do this you'll hear a click in the dash and you'll see the radio display screen blink.

A new window will pop up and tell you that the block has been programmed successfully and to turn your ignition off and then back on. Click the Ok button after you've done so.

That's it. The tire size has been changed. Take the vehicle for a drive and check the speedometer against a GPS. If the speed is off, you can adjust the tire size. If your speedometer is reading to high, make the tire size smaller. If the speedometer is to low, make the tire size larger.

Making The Driving Lights Stay on With The High Beams Using FORScan:

Some people call this Bambi mode. I have no idea why.

Again you'll want to be in the BdyCM Body Control Module.

This time you'll scroll down and look for 'Fog lights if High Beam is on'. The factory default is Disabled but you'll see where I have already enabled it in the pic below.

Click 'Edit selected' and a window will pop up to choose 0 - Enabled. Once you've chosen that click the check mark button.

Once you've done that you'll have to click the 'Write' button to save it. A window will pop up asking you to confirm your changes. Click the check mark button.

You'll hear a click noise in the dash and the radio display screen will blink on and off. You'll get a message asking you to turn the ignition off and back on. Then click the 'Ok' button.

That's it, you're done.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Changing The Splash Screen With FORScan:

This is the screen that comes up when you first turn the truck on. The default is the Ford logo.

I changed mine to the Ford Performance splash screen.

This time you'll be looking for the APIM module. Click the APIM module and then click the Run icon in the bottom left of the screen.

Once it loads, scroll down to 'Splash screen' and click 'Edit selected'.

You can scroll down through the options. I did not want to be a poser and choose the Raptor splash screen. I went on down and clicked 'Ford Performance'.

Then clicked the 'Write' button to save it. A window will pop up asking you to confirm your selection. Click the check mark button to save your choice.

You'll hear a click noise in the dash and the radio display screen will blink on and off. You'll get a message asking you to turn the ignition off and back on. Then click the 'Ok' button.

That's it, you're done.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
Are you gonna have this equipment with you at the roundup? I jad abuddy change my tire size but since I've went up I'm back off by a few mph. Then he sold his F150 with the Rough Country thingy that changed it.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I probably could. I'd have to sign up for another free extended license.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
I probably could. I'd have to sign up for another free extended license.
If not no big deal. I just watch the GPS speed on my navigation app right now to make sure I'm not speeding. Plus I can't decide on what tire size I'm running haha. From 255/65r17s to 255/75r17 MTs (which is what my speedometer is calibrated for) to 305/65r17 MTs and just got a set of 305/70r17 Toyo Open Country AT2s from a friend with about 60 % tread he pulled off his Power Wagon I'm probably gonna squeeze on there unless I trade them off before I need them haha.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Was there an option to load a custom image for the splash screen? Or are you stuck with their list of pix?

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
That's it. The tire size has been changed. Take the vehicle for a drive and check the speedometer against a GPS. If the speed is off, you can adjust the tire size. If your speedometer is reading to high, make the tire size smaller. If the speedometer is to low, make the tire size larger.
I also originally set the tire circumference to the actual according to the manufacturer and it was overkill and the speedo read too high versus the GPS. For my 265/70-17's setting it at 2400 was spot-on.

Some people call this Bambi mode. I have no idea why.
More light to help you see deer at night, aka "Bambi".
Nice write-up, thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals