• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Axle isn’t coming out

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Should I just pull the arm with the rear end in it or will the rear end come out with what’s left of the axle? Drivers side !!! Dana 28 . Thanks

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
If it's the rear axle, there's probably a c-clip holding the axle shaft in place. You will need to remove the diff cover to gain access.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
to some people the "rear end" is the differential, to others it's a "pig" or "diff" or whatever slang... talking Dana 28 it's the front differential...

OK, once the spindle is off on a D28 the drivers side axle shaft should just pull out with the knuckle straight, might take some wiggling to get the seal through the hole but there's nothing holding it in. The passenger side stub with the center joint on the other hand has a C clip in the differential from the factory so it won't come out until you remove the differential from the suspension beam and pull the cross pin.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is the second drivers front axle that’s been twisted . It’s not gonna pull out this time . Will the pig come out far enough so I can remove it with the inner axle ? Spindle and outer axle are already removed . I have another set-up , but was hoping someone else might of run into this before and knows for sure . Thanks

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Not to sidetrack the discussion, but. How are you twisting the driver side axle? What hubs do you have installed? What gear ratio?

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
This is the second drivers front axle that’s been twisted . It’s not gonna pull out this time . Will the pig come out far enough so I can remove it with the inner axle ? Spindle and outer axle are already removed . I have another set-up , but was hoping someone else might of run into this before and knows for sure . Thanks
Splines are probably twisted inside the spider gear. Can you get a slide hammer on it somehow? Might have to remove the knuckle... that would make it easier to access.

Not sure about removing the pig. I don't know if the axle shaft will fit through the little window in the beam that it resides in.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not to sidetrack the discussion, but. How are you twisting the driver side axle? What hubs do you have installed? What gear ratio?
Factory hubs , 3.73 gears , 2.9 5 speed. The first one , got in a large pot hole turned the wheels all the way and dumped the clutch , this one best story is in a ditch , thought it was all mud but it was either concrete slabs or packed rift raft . It’s my grandsons. 😂😂 In case anyone has this problem the pig won’t come out , but it will move out enough to get touches to the axle . This was an open rear , the one going in is a limited slip .

Attachments

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Factory hubs , 3.73 gears , 2.9 5 speed. The first one , got in a large pot hole turned the wheels all the way and dumped the clutch , this one best story is in a ditch , thought it was all mud but it was either concrete slabs or packed rift raft . It’s my grandsons. 😂😂 In case anyone has this problem the pig won’t come out , but it will move out enough to get touches to the axle . This was an open rear , the one going in is a limited slip .
Must be the difference between Dana 28 and Dana35. I just keep breaking hubs. I rarely dump the clutch in those situations, too. I run an Aussie locker in both of my diffs. My last failure, I broke both hubs.

BTW, we call that the differential, not a rear end. Since you have one on each end of the truck and the one you're working on is actually the front.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It clearly said front . In a semi you have two rear ends. One is the rear and the other is the front , both in the rear!! Anyway it’s out and got it apart. Know why it wouldn’t come out , but ain’t visually seen what caused it . I will find out when I put it back together . It’s getting a limited slip this time and new axles. I have two Dana 35 set-ups . One converted to manual hubs and the other still auto.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Must be the difference between Dana 28 and Dana35. I just keep breaking hubs. I rarely dump the clutch in those situations, too. I run an Aussie locker in both of my diffs. My last failure, I broke both hubs.

BTW, we call that the differential, not a rear end. Since you have one on each end of the truck and the one you're working on is actually the front.
What hubs are you using? I’ve seen others breaking hubs on the 35’s.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I gave up on the D-28 after breaking the drivers shaft twice and went to a D-35 only to break the passenger shaft. I had a locker in the 28 and the 35 is open for now. Never had much trouble getting the broken bits out though. Haven’t decided if I’m going to try chro-molly shafts or a bigger axle. You may end up breaking more 28 shafts with a limited slip or locker.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
What hubs are you using? I’ve seen others breaking hubs on the 35’s.
I use the Warn or Milemarker hubs. Whichever I can get. I haven’t found a set of the heavier duty Warn hubs. I’d probably tear up axle shafts with them. Hubs are quick and easy to replace.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
We have Cro-mmolly
I gave up on the D-28 after breaking the drivers shaft twice and went to a D-35 only to break the passenger shaft. I had a locker in the 28 and the 35 is open for now. Never had much trouble getting the broken bits out though. Haven’t decided if I’m going to try chro-molly shafts or a bigger axle. You may end up breaking more 28 shafts with a limited slip or locker.
We ordered inner and outer chrome - moly from bronco graveyard the other day .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals