• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Audio upgrade for the 94

94_PurpsRange

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
30" all terrain
My credo
Pitter-patter, let’s get at ‘er.
Good morning gents! I am looking for some information on what options I have (google is no help) I would like to upgrade the head unit and speakers in my truck... I see that they make some single DIN touchscreen units I could go for... but I guess my question is.. How would I fit a double din into my dash? ... Would I lose my air vents there? The "upgrade" you see in the picture was put in the same year we got the truck.... 1994. I do not mind just putting in a single din touch screen unit but i wanted to know what you guys all thought about it.

Attachments

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Single din touch screens? It must be newer audio, can't recall ever seeing those before. You would loose the upper vent for a double din..or you could buy a motorized flip out and up screen. I have seen double dins installed in this style dash..looks cool, yet very bad at the same time. This style dash was not made for those. The dash all hacked up to me is a poor taste..I'm an old school audio professional with 30+ years experience and knowledge of home and car audio..I always encourage people a cleaner install is always best.

You say Single din touch screens are available I would go that route.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
If you really must have a large screen I suggest the ones that come out and flip up. Once you have your music going you can have the screen retracted and still use your vent as the screen will block it.

For the '94 Ranger you will need 5" x 8" speakers for the doors and rear.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
What ^they^ said.
There are also modesl available with independent touch screens - although I would probably lose that screen with in minutes of install.

Crutchfield was recommended to me as a source by the guys here when I did my 94. I would wholeheartedly recommend them as well.

94_PurpsRange

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
30" all terrain
My credo
Pitter-patter, let’s get at ‘er.
Yeah.... so i have opted out of doing a double din so i dont have to hack up my all original dash. So I will get a single din touch screen and let you all know how it comes out.
I would like to use it for GPS while i am out seeing customers. This is going to be my daily driver for while so i need to make my trips easier on me.

Yesterday I removed all the plastic trim on the interior so i could remove the headliner and pulled out the old stereo and speakers so i can prepare it for new audio.
then this coming weekend i am doing ALL brake parts in the front end.. front suspension, timing chains and internals, plugs, wires, front main, & rear main and some other odds and ends that need to be done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals