• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any RC pilots?

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Look at that beautiful twin EDF OR TRUE JET phantom!!!

LOL never mind I have very little flying experience or that it'd cost upwards of 3K to build!!

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was talking to a guy at that RC fly-in that I went to, he has two jets he built. One cost him $8,000, the other cost $10,000. He must have a VERY understanding wife.

God did those fly sweet though. Smooth as silk, and FAST. He put a GPS unit in one of his jets (the 10 grand one), top speed was 345 mph in a dive :shok:

Uses about a gallon of kerosene in 8 minutes, in which time he goes I think it was 20 miles.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm . . . Will those things carry a cat?
Even if it could, it would be tricky to fly with a 7-10 lb critter freaking out inside the plane, especially if it isn't declawed.:icon_surprised:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Well, it was just a thought. Throwing our cats in the dryer doesn't phase them at all anymore.

Seriously, you guys obviously have a blast with RC planes. It's something I'd love to get into, if I had more time.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got my field box put together today, just a standard Hobbico one, but that's all I need. Got a sweet power panel, it has a built in fuel pump.

Hopefully it'll be nice one of these days so I can go fly again.

VaGent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 Bronco II
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just wondering if there's any RC pilots here.

My current setup is a Hobbico Nexstar, using the Futaba 4 channel radio that it came with. I did my first solo flight with it yesterday, first time I flew it was on Friday with my boss, he took off and landed for me, and got it all trimmed out.

My dad has a Hangar 9 P51 PTS, it seems like a pretty nice plane. He's only flown it 3 times so far (just got it 3 weeks ago, got it all balanced and stuff last week with the help of my boss). He had my Nexstar before that (made 3 or 4 flights with it), and I had a 3 channel foamie, then he gave me the Nexstar and got the P51. It's like a trainer, it has wing extensions that help keep it from stalling at slow speeds, it looks really nice in the air. It pulls hard to the left when he takes off though (like almost a 90 degree turn), we're trying to figure that out, he's thinking misaligned landing gear but I'm not sure. Gonna have to take some measurements.

Saturday we went to an RC fly-in and they had a raffle. My dad's number was the first one picked, so he got pick of the table. He grabbed a Seagull Harmon Rocket III, looks like it's gonna be a fun plane, once we get an engine and radio equipment for it and build it, and he's good enough to fly it (will probably build it this winter). I also won a gallon of fuel (not bad, we won 2 of the 12 prizes on the table, the fuel damn near paid for the $20 in raffle tickets we bought).

Anyone else fly?

Here's what the planes look like.

Nexstar

P51

Harmon Rocket III
[/U]

I've been flying RC for over 30 yrs now. Into Giant Scale (1/4 & 1/3) with gas engines & build my own form "scratch" using plans I buy. Into SCALE bigtime & bellong to a local club here & was Pres of the club for 5 yrs. Nothing like building your own & then test flying it. Lots of PRIDE in doing that for sure. Takes a lot of patience ut well worth the effort. Like building & upgrading 4X4s huh?

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
[/U]

I've been flying RC for over 30 yrs now. Into Giant Scale (1/4 & 1/3) with gas engines & build my own form "scratch" using plans I buy. Into SCALE bigtime & bellong to a local club here & was Pres of the club for 5 yrs. Nothing like building your own & then test flying it. Lots of PRIDE in doing that for sure. Takes a lot of patience ut well worth the effort. Like building & upgrading 4X4s huh?
I don't know if I'd have the patience to build a plane from scratch. It would be cool as hell, but man, that's a lot of time to put into it.

How many hours you figure to build a decent plane?

VaGent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 Bronco II
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yup it sure can be but I like doing it I can do things MY WAY when I build them instead of the way the factory does it Depending on the model you are building, the amount of scale realizim you want to put in it & the onboard systems for retractsm flapz, spoilers, etc etc, ot can take anywhere from 6 months on up to 18 months. I built an "exact scale" model of a Taylorcraft that had been highly factory modified for the new owner & it took me better part of 14 months to do it all AND I didn't even have a set of working plans to go by. I took pictures & measurements of the real one & went from there. Once I got the basic measurements converted to 1/2 scale for the main fuselage & wingspan, the rest was really pretty simple. Give me an email address & I will send you some pictures of it. It had a Fox 2.4 gas engine in it & was very acrobatic & looked just like the real plane in miniature. I really enjoyed building it. BUT NOW it's into Bronco IIs & 4X4s. The only difference in a man & a boy is the price of his toys. lol

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I have two Airhog helicopters. Does that count? I fly like I climb washouts.....bouncing off everything.

They're a lot of fun though. I got them at WalMart. Cheap too and their bodys are foam so they can take the crashes.

$30.00

I got the yellow one - $63.00 (wife bought this one for me)

You can't fly them outside. They're fun to fly in the house, but I haven't had time to mess with them over the last couple of weeks.

The yellow on is easier to fly because it has more controls. I like the blue one better even though I can't fly it very well. I got the hover thing down to a science though!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
heh heh. i forgot i even had that thing. i got one of those (a yellow one) for x-mas last year. its a hoot for flying on rainy days. ive taken it outside before (on very, VERY calm days).

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone use RealFlight 3.5? I just figured out how to fly multiplayer on there, pretty fun. If anyone does and wants to fly, send me a PM.

For anyone who doesn't, it's a R/C flight simulator, pretty fun to mess around on.

southernlifttruck41

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have 44 planes, I don't have room in my shop for anything . I have been flying R/C for several years and have half a thumb to prove it. lol My biggest plane is a 144 in w/s Bud Nolsen J3 cub. My biggest 3D plane is a 1/3 scale 540 edge with a 80cc zenoah twin. I have more remotes than I can count. Currently I am useing a Futaba 9 cap. If you are ever in KY e-mail me and we will go flying....

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's a lot of planes!

Sometime here, before the snow starts falling, me, my dad, and my boss want to bulldoze out a runway on a field that we own, probably too late to plant grass though. We're hoping to have a decent place to fly, that's really close by.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals