• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

another explorer-to-ranger rim swap thread. 225-70-15, 2000 2.5l 2wd

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
i do offroad a decent amount (ive been driving through a lot of patches of sugar sand lately) so i am kinda wearing of going towards thinner tires, but from what i understand they significantly help improve mpg.
will skinny tires ride decently well offroad as long as i deflate down to 25 or 20psi?

thnx for the suggestions yall. my mechanic buddy who knows my cheapness and driving habits and vehicle goals has been begging to switch to alum rims.
...hes also been begging me to wash my truck, lol
Airing down tires makes the tread contact patch mostly longer than wider. So, having a skinny tire over a wider tire in that regard won't make much of a difference. I'm drawing a blank on when skinny tires are advantageous over wider tires. I'm leaning toward where wider tires are better on sand because they will sink into the sand less. Either Ronny Dahl or 4XOverland on youtube (maybe both) covered the subject fairly recently on youtube. I would defer to their expertise on the matter since both do drive on sand, Ronny Dahl being the one who does it more.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
skinny tires improve mpg and seem to have a negative affect on everything else :p

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Skinny tires were why model T's, with their skinny tires, went around pulling the stuck Buicks, with their much wider tires out of the sand back in the 1920's and 30's

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The deeper tread just means a taller tire and farther around so every revolution carries you a bit farther down the road

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
If the steelies are bent, that's one thing, but otherwise I can't imagine it'd be worthwhile to replace them.

I'd just stick with the stock size. I measure my mpgs every tank and routinely get around 27 in mixed driving without really thinking too hard about it. I could get more if I used more aggressive hypermiling techniques and drove 55 on the freeway, but driving that way will get you shot at around here. There are a lot of gimmicky ideas on how to get better mpgs than the sticker, but the handful of things that've actually worked for me are:
1. Keep the wheel/tire size factory, use a highway tread and passenger load rating (if applicable), and keep the tires inflated. I usually go to 35psi, 38 in the back if I'm hauling stuff, you could safely inflate to the max sidewall pressure but all you're doing is eliminating the damping effect of the tires and transmitting all the vibrations to everything else, including your back.
2. Keep the truck tuned up and properly aligned.
3. Don't drive like a d*ck. When I was a teen my Dad always told me to drive as if the car had no brakes. Took me until my 30s to actually take the advice to heart, but it's a whole mentality - you learn to see and think ahead and leave more space to coast into and out of lights. Not only do you save a lot of fuel not riding the gas until the last second and then slamming on the brakes when the light turns red like every other phone zombie around, brakes, tires, and all the other wear items last a lot longer.

Replacing the rims would not make my list, needless to say.

All that said, if you want different rims for the look and feel you need to justify it, just go for the new rims man.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals