• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Ranger, Mechanical Fuel pump.

The 5.7 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ive got a 97 ranger, successfully put in a small block chevy 350, ive got a mechanical fuel pump on the engine and i was trying to find ways to retain the stock tank location/wiring. Can i use the sending unit from an 80's carbed ranger in the 97 tank? Or would i have to get the tank and sending unit?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

No it won't fit and 1997 fuel gauge wouldn't work with 1988 and older sender/float, Ford change the OHMs in 1989

You could pull the fuel pump assembly and remove the pump, install longer pick up hose and sock/strainer

If you ran it out of gas you would need to prime mechanical pump to get siphon back, i.e. remove fuel line on carb, pour fuel into the hose so mechanical pump gets filled, replace hose, crank engine

The 5.7 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
How hard is it to remove the pump assembly from the the whole assembly? What size hose would i need to run for the pickup hose and from sending unit to the pump? Priming the system is not an issue

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The best thing for you to do in my opinion is use the 97 fuel punp with a fuel pressure regulator with a bypass valve returning the unused fuel pump to the tank

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Video here, about 4:00min in you get a good look at the 1997 Ranger fuel pump assembly: youtube.com/watch?v=0_9k0wqgmIc

Just a couple of hose clamps, fuel pump is the white cylinder at the bottom

You need to measure current distance from top of assembly to bottom of pump because thats where your pickup tube needs to be, 1/2" from bottom of the tank, with a strainer/sock around it

Strainers/socks seen here: https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/fuel---emissions-16775/fuel-pumps-tanks-16472/fuel-pump-strainer-16843/fuel-pump-strainer-12308/2121c7a153ca

They need to be large because they WILL get clogged up bit by bit.............and you don't want to have to clean them every year, lol, so the bigger the better

Yes, +1 with RamCharger90 in using the current fuel pump and ditching the mechanical pump
You already have the return line in a 1997
Pressure regulator is not cheap but not too much either

You could just have Key on power to the fuel pump, or use an oil pressure switch with current FP relay

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals