• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 ford ranger 4.0 xlt factory fog lights not working

93ranger4x4ttb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
My fog lights don’t work on my 93 ranger there’s a black yellow red and a blue and red wire I get power to the red and blue wire I’ve hooked up power straight to the lights and they work but I can’t get them to work with a switch I’m not good with electrical

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Headlight switch must be on, pulled all the way out
Multi-function switch(turn signal stalk) must be set on Low Beam(normal position)
Turn on Fog Light switch, does the switch Light Up?
If so then wiring to the Fog light switch is OK

Main light switch ON(12volt)------multi-function switch-----fog light switch-----------fog light relay(in engine fuse box)

If Fog light switch doesn't light up in ON then its not getting the 12volts from multi-function switch, assuming Low beam headlights work

Switch has 4 wires, but 2 are for Back Lights, i.e. there is another bulb in the switch that lights up like dash lights do with main light switch ON, so you can see the location of the switch at night
This is a separate 12v from dimmer
See if that part is working, the back light, because its Ground wire is the ground for the ON/OFF bulb in switch, this wouldn't effect Fog lights working or not, just effect the light bulbs in switch
These 2 wires are light blue/red stripe(dash lights) and Black(ground)

Other 2 wires are to activate Fog Light relay
Red/black stripe wire is 12volts IN from multi-function switch
Yellow wire is OUT to Fog Light Relay

You have 12v on Blue/red so dash light power, not fog light power

The red/black wire should also have 12v, 12v IN from multi-function switch with main light switch on
If no 12v on this wire then thats the problem, jiggle the multi-function switch, see 12v comes on, push it back and forward as well, i.e. high/low beam

If you have 12v on red/black wire then with fog light switch ON the yellow wire should now have 12v, if so switch is OK, if not replace switch

If yellow wire has 12v then fog light relay in engine bay fuse box may be bad, but first test/check Fuse 19, 20amp in engine bay fuse box
If fuse is OK then swap a similar relay in engine fuse box to replace fog light relay, test if fog lights now work, if so get a new relay

The 12volts that powers the Fog lights does NOT come from in the Cab
The fog light switch operates a relay in engine fuse box, fuse 19 in engine fuse box powers the fog lights

1994 diagram is same as 1993

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals