• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 2.9l V6 with ambiguous parking brake issue

newnthused

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I bought the truck with the parking brake disconnected and the parking brake pedal fully depressed. So I released the pedal today and pulled it hard to connect it.

Now, when the pedal is fully depressed, the cable is tight, but the parking brake doesn't feel engaged. The truck still rolls with transmission in neutral.

Also, when I pull the pedal release (which isn't even there, just the mechanism behind it that I have to reach for to get), the pedal does not fully release. I have to manually pull the pedal up to what I assume is the "full-off" position (it being fully up and away from the floor).

I tried to adjust the equalizer nut (with no success because it was stuck), but didn't mess around with it too much because the Haynes repair manual says to "adjust the rear brakes prior to adjusting the parking brake cable," but then doesn't refer to the section that instructs how to adjust the rear brakes. I don't want to accidentally mess something up chasing the wrong issue.

I'll include a picture of where I reconnected the cables today.

Attachments

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
you can follow the cable back to your drums and see where they pull so you can adjust them but they are usually the at the bottom as the hydraulic primary brake assembly is at the top.

my buddies nissan had the same issue, push the pedal and the back brakes would do hardly anything and it would roll in gear at idle. we ended up having to replace his rear shoes and all the small parts that come in the brake kit, the springs and clips, etc. than, we had to do lots of working the cables back and forth till they slide easily in the sheathing. afterwards, we could not get the correct setting on the nut at the pedal but got it to where the brakes held the truck very well so we left it.

it passed its safety inspection, so he was happy.

you need to get that nut to break free and maybe put a return spring on the pedal. depends on how everything works once you get the rest of the system working again

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It is also possible that the cables are hanging up inside the housing. I had to replace the rear cables on my 2011 recently and found spots on both cables where something had worn through the housing, letting water and dirt in. Parking brake function returned to normal after the cables were replaced.

newnthused

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
you can follow the cable back to your drums and see where they pull so you can adjust them but they are usually the at the bottom as the hydraulic primary brake assembly is at the top.

my buddies nissan had the same issue, push the pedal and the back brakes would do hardly anything and it would roll in gear at idle. we ended up having to replace his rear shoes and all the small parts that come in the brake kit, the springs and clips, etc. than, we had to do lots of working the cables back and forth till they slide easily in the sheathing. afterwards, we could not get the correct setting on the nut at the pedal but got it to where the brakes held the truck very well so we left it.

it passed its safety inspection, so he was happy.

you need to get that nut to break free and maybe put a return spring on the pedal. depends on how everything works once you get the rest of the system working again
I took off the drums yesterday to have a peek in there. It was so black up in there. I couldn't tell if the parking brake was engaging or not because I didn't have a partner to depress the pedal while I checked. I'm thinking of replacing the entire brakes. Drums, shoes, springs and all.

Do you know what the brake shoes should be doing when I apply the parking brake that I should look for if I check again?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
The bottom part of the shoe will push outwards against the drum when the parking brake is applied. Don't push the regular brakes with the drum off or you will be in a whole world of trouble though

Last edited:

newnthused

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
The bottom part of the shoe will push ouwarfs agaunst the drum when the parking brake is applied. Don't push the regular brakes with the drum off or you will be in a whole world or trouble though
Yeah I used the snip wheel to adjust to get the driver side drum off. Trying to get it back on was a huge pain. The inside of the drum has a lip on it. I tried to grind it down but didn't want to go too gnarly into the drum. I definitely scraped off some of the shoe trying to get it back on.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
thats super common to have a lip form there. usually new drums are the least expensive part of doing the rear brakes so i replace them if they have a lip. back in the cay, you could take drums and rotors and have them turned for very little money and that removed lips and made them back to smooth with no runout or variation

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Most O'Reilly's stores still turn drums/rotors...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Do you know what the brake shoes should be doing when I apply the parking brake that I should look for if I check again?
The brake cables are connected to levers that pivot from the top of the secondary brake shoe (rear shoe). The lever (when park brake is applied) pushes the park brake strut that ties the lever to the primary brake shoe (front shoe) and pushes it firmly into the brake drum. If that strut is not there you will have zero park brake.

You should have taken a picture of the brakes with the drum off... that way we would know if all the parts are there.

You should also adjust the rear brakes properly before checking park brake adjustment.

newnthused

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
The brake cables are connected to levers that pivot from the top of the secondary brake shoe (rear shoe). The lever (when park brake is applied) pushes the park brake strut that ties the lever to the primary brake shoe (front shoe) and pushes it firmly into the brake drum. If that strut is not there you will have zero park brake.

You should have taken a picture of the brakes with the drum off... that way we would know if all the parts are there.

You should also adjust the rear brakes properly before checking park brake adjustment.
Ugh I know 🙄. Maybe I'll get them off again and take a picture.

newnthused

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual

How do I properly adjust the rear brakes. I know there's the self adjuster that you can adjust with a flathead screwdriver, but idk how to set it "properly".

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I think before you adjust them up...

It's worth another inspection to ensure everything is in place and working.

But to adjust... click that adjuster out until you can hear the brake shoes making contact with the drum and you can feel a bit of drag while rotating the rear tire. Then when you put it back on the griund... get moving in reverse and stab the brake pedal several times. Those adjusters are self adjusting and self adjust while backing up. However it only works if adjusters are free and brakes are in proper working order.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals