• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 ranger speakers

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
this could give some ideas of what I did in my 83. under dash and rears. cheers

post 89 has a set of boxes (homemade) and amp mounted.

post 61 greater detail

post 24 under dash speakers

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
1989-92 Rangers used 5 1/4" (hole size) speakers in the doors. A door speaker generally will give the best sound in a pickup cab. It was common, "back in the day", to put the same size aftermarket speakers in the doors on the 1983-88 trucks. Here's an '89-92 factory door speaker:

View attachment 66110

Note the water guard on the back.
View attachment 66111

The standard cab Ranger factory rear boxes used about the same size speaker.

If you don't want to cut the doors (metal and cards) your best option is good 4" speakers in the stock locations for the fronts, and just good set of small aftermarket box speakers for behind the seats.

I have set of original rear speakers, but I'm not sure what would be involved in replacing the speaker inside the box. If memory serves, it looked like the rear enclosure is glued together.

View attachment 66112
did the first gens ever have door speakers factory or were they just in the dash?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
did the first gens ever have door speakers factory or were they just in the dash?
1983 through 1988 Rangers had factory front speakers only in the dash. Starting with the 1989 models, the factory speakers moved to doors.

A lot of first gens had door speakers installed after leaving the factory, and some of these aftermarket installations were clean enough to look factory. If a customer had cloth door panels and preferred a cleaner look, I'd mount speakers to the door and then just cut a hole only in the panel card, leaving the original fabric untouched. It was a "stock" look, and the speaker played fine through the fabric.

Bobs Ford Anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a set of the rings I snagged at a JY.

Rear speakers are a weird small size, I opened up the holes in my boxes and stuffed in some 6.5's that I had laying around.

I've looked everywhere for those front adapters for my 1988 ext. cab. the rear in mine are 6x8

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
1989-92 Rangers used 5 1/4" (hole size) speakers in the doors. A door speaker generally will give the best sound in a pickup cab. It was common, "back in the day", to put the same size aftermarket speakers in the doors on the 1983-88 trucks. Here's an '89-92 factory door speaker:

View attachment 66110

Note the water guard on the back.
View attachment 66111

The standard cab Ranger factory rear boxes used about the same size speaker.

If you don't want to cut the doors (metal and cards) your best option is good 4" speakers in the stock locations for the fronts, and just good set of small aftermarket box speakers for behind the seats.

I have set of original rear speakers, but I'm not sure what would be involved in replacing the speaker inside the box. If memory serves, it looked like the rear enclosure is glued together.

View attachment 66112

jjpp250

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5” + 2.5”
Tire Size
32/11.5/15 33/12.5/15
I don’t know what speakers you installed but, on my 85 ranger I had so many different set ups. I started with a pair of 51/4” alpine coaxial in the dash (they will fit if you use a heat gun on the a/c duct) 61/2 coaxial alpine in the doors 4 punch 8s facing down behind the seat, always keep the same sizes in the dash and doors more or less changed them a few times as well went from 4 8s to 2 10“ to 1 oz audio 10” to finally 2 solo baric 12” I run 2 punch 75 to the fronts and a punch 150 to the subs for along time now I have 2 zap on 150 to the fronts and a 100 zabco 1 ch to each sub that set up along with a zapco SX-SL and alpine 7292 for over 20 years not driving it for more than 2000 miles and it all still works. The regular cab ranger has to be the worse truck you can build a good sounding stereo not near enough room I am very happy what I ended up with it is very clean and it’s party loud I could put more power to it but I like the zapco stuff it’s old but it’s made locally here in CA will they used to be anyway

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals