• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 engine swap wiring

betch102

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys first of all I’m sorry for making another thread about 5.0 swap stuff. This is my first post on here after years of reading. I have a 91 single cab short bed 4cyl 5 speed and I have a 2000 Mercury mountaineer premier w/ the 5.0. They have been patiently waiting for the last 4 years for this swap to commence, the only thing being done in that time was making a running ranger not that. Anyhow I like to think I have a pretty good understanding of the write up on here for the swap but I’m concerned about wiring. I planned on taking the entire wiring harness from the mountaineer and putting it into the ranger if possible I didn’t want to have to splice anything into the ranger harness. Is this something that has been done? Is it doable? Is it worth it? I don’t have the money to buy a stand alone atm and I don’t want to let this project go any more years then it needs to. Thanks in advance!

betch102

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I forgot to add that the engine will be mated to a T5 out of an ‘88 Foxbody

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome @betch102

If you are planning to take the entire Mountaineer wiring harness into the Ranger, you have some work ahead of you.

If you follow the path from the PCM (engine computer in firewall) back, you would find that in the dash, it goes to:
a. The ignition switch​
b. The PATS module (above/behind the glove box)​
Your '91 has neither the wiring for the ignition switch, not the PATS module.

You're in the grey area of my knowledge - if you could swap the Mountaineer dash into the '91 or not (I know its possible for '93 up but I really only work with '98s and newer)

You will need to make a cable to go to the T5 rather than the 4R70W (primarily to get reverse lights).

You aren't going to have a clutch interlock switch. And you're going to have some issues with speedometer - Mountaineer getsan electronic output from rear axle, while your Ranger has a cable output from transmission.

p.s. If you can find an S-10 T-5, replacing the Mustang tail housing, it puts the shifter in a much better location.

betch102

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks @don4331 !

i forgot to mention the axle from the mountaineer would carry over to the ranger as well. I was toying with the idea of swapping dash if possible or just making some type of dash from sheet metal and implementing the cluster from the mountaineer. Would that satisfy the speedo issue?

never thought about reverse lights but I’ll at that to the list.

the clutch interlock system sounds like it could be an issue. I don’t mind not needing to hit the clutch to start the truck my Jeep was like that for years. But If it interacts with speed control sounds like it can make for some gnarly shifts deff something to look into

and as for the trans the guy I bought it from said it had 2nd gear synchro problems so I was going to take a stab at rebuilding it myself and source the s-10 tail housing

I know it’s a novelty and it’ll wear off once I get my hands dirty but I’m so excited toget this projectfinally started this whole dream was born from reading thisforum as a 12 year old and here I am 15 years later same dream but now I have tools and money!

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Clutch interlock is just so you aren't able to start in gear.

The cluster is small beans, its the anti theft/fuel pump wiring that are critical (PATS module) and the fuel pump reset (in passengers footwell), along with the wiring in steering column.

Without those, the electronics will assume you are a thief/have been in accident, and prevent the engine from starting.

If you're bring over the Mountaineer axle, you'd want to include all the wiring from the axle to the dash (and you're going to have to strip that a part to keep what you want/need).

You really want to get Ford wiring manuals for your Ranger and for the Mountianeer and study what you need.

lol, I'm at other end of the age scale - running out of ambition/time to do one last truck as the "ideal" build (for me)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would have someone reprogram the PCM and just do away with the PATS.

It is pretty common to do with Explorer swaps.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like you were talking about swapping the entire body and engine harness from the 2000 Mountaineer into your 91 Ranger? I just have one bit of advice...

Don't do it!

I had the same idea once for a 98 Explorer into a 86 Ranger 2.9. it would be very similar to the swap you are suggesting. I was keeping the 4R, yet out side the engine harness there was not a single harness or connector that would have been left untouched. There are just too many differences in wiring and components between the years. I bull-headedly carried on with the idea and destroyed the harness in the Ranger. 15 years later I have a pile of Ranger parts with no engine and no wiring.

You are much better off leaving your trucks wiring alone except for the connections required to make the engine run. Instead make the explorer harness into a standalone unit and get a tune to turn off PATS. There is a guy that goes by EFIguy on the Classic Bronco forum that has put together pretty good instructions for making the Explorer system run standalone. That is the route I switched to before I decided I wanted to do the swap on my 99 instead. The harness modifications didn't take long, but by that point the 86 Ranger was too far gone.

I only went that route to retain the 4R. If I were doing the swap with a manual transmission, I wouldn't use the Explorer electrical. I'd still use that engine, but I would pair it with the EFI from a fox body Mustang, or go completely aftermarket. Don't think I need to explain the aftermarket, but the A9L stuff is supposedly simple and easy to run standalone. Both are also better supported than the Explorer stuff. The Mustang components are still available new reproduction if you look for it.

Actually if I were to attempt it again on a first gen (and I can't rule that out), I would probably go aftermarket with a PiMP system which is Megasquirt based. Pair that with a new reproduction. Mustang wire harness. The PiMp is a Megasquirt system built into a Ford ECU (EEC-IV?) box with Ford ECU connector, and plug and play capable with a factory Mustang engine harness. The Mustang harness will probably put the ECU right back in the Ranger's stock location. Not a cheap solution, but probably the quickest route to getting it done and going with EFI.

Sorry, I went off on a tangent there. Check into EFIguy in he classic bronco forum and how he does the standalone conversion for the Explorer/Mountaineer EFI. Given your situation, I think that is your best option.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
One other thing to keep in mind, the 91 Ranger fuel system is a return system with lower pressure, the 2000 Mountaineer/Explorer is a returnless high pressure system, so beyond the wiring issues, you have fuel system incompatibility. The 97 and older Explorers had no PATs and a return fuel system, so they are a more ideal candidate.

Danny74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Don't wait till it's broken to fix things
. . .. The 97 and older Explorers had no PATs and a return fuel system, so they are a more ideal candidate.
Wow, so that means he has to find a 95 96 or 97 to do this swap. That's definitely limiting.
Is there something that he can go to a junkyard and pull out of one of those early years explorers to use with what he has? I mean it sounds like he's got everything he needs. The Mountaineer comes with all the bells and whistles that you would want. Limited slip rear end, great seats and center console for the interior swap, and dash swap too if he wants to do that which I seen it looks nice. I believe even the overhead console is standard in the Mountaineer too. Not to mention the V8 engine.

I wish I was able to do a mountaineer swap myself or have somebody help me, or even find somebody I could pay to do it. It definitely has everything one would really want.
I've never seen somebody mentioned the fuel problem before, so it makes me wonder how so many people with later model Mountaineers or explorers are able to do their swaps, unless they get a part that they need from the earlier model explorers that they can swap in. Which brings me to my question, what would be needed to swap out to remedy this issue?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wow, so that means he has to find a 95 96 or 97 to do this swap. That's definitely limiting.
No, that means that those three years would be the easiest EXPLORER donors for his swap. Any of them can be used and made to work.

Since he's wanting to use a 5.0 and a T5, the easiest do or would be a Foxbody Mustang. That would give him the engine, the transmission, a fuel system that is compatible with what is in his truck, and an EFI system that will require minimal modifications.

His 2000 Explorer engine (like all Explorer 5.0s) is the most compact accessory drive of any factory 5.0 which helps with fitment in the engine bay, but that is the main advantage that it has. To use his 2000 Explorer engine he will have to make his fuel system work with returnless or convert the engine to return style. He will have to have PATS disabled. He will need to get a 50oz flywheel. He will need to modify the harness to work standalone. Several other changes will have to beade, all of which are detailed in various threads and parts of the website.

The easiest way for him to overcome the fuel supply issue would be to upgrade the fuel pump in tank and run a fuel pressure regulator in the fuel line. FPR outlet to Explorer fuel rail, and return going back to the tank return. Other option would be to acquire a return style fuel rail and injectors from an earlier Explorer (maybe any 5.0?) and hope that the ECU doesn't need retuning to work right.

As for the interior. First off are you familiar with the years that we are talking about? There are so many differences that the suggestion seems comical.

Not much beyond the seats will go into the 91 Ranger. The seats might fit with a track change, but that doesn't mean they are better depending on what he has now. The long center console will not fit up to his existing dash well. A short console could be used, but I've never seen a higher optioned explorer with one of those.

The dash is very questionable and would be a huge undertaking if it could be made to work. The Explorer and later Ranger bodies and dashes were very different. It definitely won't bolt in, I'm not even sure if they are the same width and have the same curvature at the firewall. It would take a while lot of work get any of it close to fitting, I don't even want to think about making it look right. Once you got the dash to fit to the body you'd still have to figure out how to make all of the HVAC stuff work together, because those components are even more different.

Any thing can be hacked together and, given enough time and money, can be made to work and look nice. It sounds like OP doesn't want a hack job, doesn't have a lot more to invest, and feels like the project is already taking longer than he would like. I can't speak for everyone else's suggestions, but IMO with mine he could probably pull the engine, part the rest to offset the parts cost and have it done relatively quickly.

betch102

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’m totally fine without neutral safety

as for hvac I am doing away with that completely. (I know I’ll regret it but it’s not going ti be a daily and all my daily’s don’t have a/c any how. Maybe an electric heater for the colder months. (I’m in north jersey)

The ranger is pretty stripped down and iirc I bastardized the harness. 👎 the dash seats and what ever plastics I didn’t throw out are sitting in the bed. The blower motor is torn out(also in the bed so I can trace it to make a cover for the firewall) engine trans was scrapped.

as for fuel system …sounds silly but what if I were to take the mountaineer fuel tank and strap it in the bed to get everything mocked up and running then save up some money to get a nice aftermarket fuel cell?

I was always worried about the engine not wanting to start when this is all said and done because it’s not receiving soginal from the auto trans. Never thought about the anti theft system. Also never thought about asking o ln

my overall plan was to take every bit of what the mountaineer needed to run and implement it some how into the ranger.

when I picked up the t5 the guy had given me a fly wheel (not sure of the weight) another explorer style intake and a set of the nastiest gt40p heads I’ve ever seen along with cobra valve covers.

as for the dash I saw an obs f150 on marketplace last night with a pretty neat custom sheet metal dash that I really liked I’ll see if I can snag a pic.

theranger came with a 60/40 bench which I was going to use the passenger seat and my buddy had given me an old racing seat that I was going to get reupholstered… eventually.
And I haven’t put much thought into the center console. After the truck is running maybe I’ll try my hand at wood working and see what I can make.

hopefully that clarifies things a bit

thoughts? Be bold I can take it!

tomorrow is going to be around 60° here I was hoping to get the mountaineer as close as I can to shipping it to the scrap yard it’s pretty rotted out my buddy crashed it a few times I bought it fixed the body damage then totaled it two months later it’s pretty shot inside and out but he took damn good care of the motor at 189k miles runs very smooth. But I don’t think I’m getting any money out of the rest of it trans is only good for a core (aaa blew it up after accident) every panel has damage this is it’s only shot at a new lease on life

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I’m totally fine without neutral safety

as for hvac I am doing away with that completely. (I know I’ll regret it but it’s not going ti be a daily and all my daily’s don’t have a/c any how. Maybe an electric heater for the colder months. (I’m in north jersey)
You won't need or get a neutral safety switch with the manual, but I would do a clutch safety switch if it were possible.

Running without HVAC wouldn't be an option down here in Middle GA. Well I guess it is an option, but not one I'd consider. FWIW I have got a truck without, and adding it is on the short list for upgrades once I figure out what I'm going to do with engine.

The ranger is pretty stripped down and iirc I bastardized the harness. 👎 the dash seats and what ever plastics I didn’t throw out are sitting in the bed. The blower motor is torn out(also in the bed so I can trace it to make a cover for the firewall) engine trans was scrapped.
Sounds a lot different than what I was thinking from the previous posts.

as for fuel system …sounds silly but what if I were to take the mountaineer fuel tank and strap it in the bed to get everything mocked up and running then save up some money to get a nice aftermarket fuel cell?
You could do that. The cell is basically the same as I was saying above about adapting your system.

Run the Mountaineer tank like you said. When you switch to a cell, run an inline pressure regulator with the return going back to the tank.

I was always worried about the engine not wanting to start when this is all said and done because it’s not receiving soginal from the auto trans. Never thought about the anti theft system. Also never thought about asking o ln

my overall plan was to take every bit of what the mountaineer needed to run and implement it some how into the ranger.
All you really need is the engine harness, start/charge harness, and all attached electronics from the Explorer. There is also a small relay box that can be helpful to snag (under the dash IIRC). Look up the guy I mentioned in a previous post. He's got information and videos on how to do all the wiring you need to make the engine run.

Your #1 issue will be PATS. Your best option there would be getting it turned off with a tuner. Alternatively you may be able to dig the required circuits and parts out of the explorer to wire in and retain it. I'd really recommend getting it turned off.

when I picked up the t5 the guy had given me a fly wheel (not sure of the weight) another explorer style intake and a set of the nastiest gt40p heads I’ve ever seen along with cobra valve covers.
Make sure that it is a 50oz flywheel, using a 28 will cause problems. Nastiest as in dirty or nasty as in modified/ported?

Those valve covers could be a good thing if you decide to install a cam. From my understanding the explorer VCs don't have room for a cam with a lot of lift.

as for the dash I saw an obs f150 on marketplace last night with a pretty neat custom sheet metal dash that I really liked I’ll see if I can snag a pic.
I would do that before trying to adapt the Explorer dash.

thoughts? Be bold I can take it!
Some things just aren't worth it. To be honest if I had what you are starting from, I'd probably scrap it and find another. Well, that's pretty much what I did. Scrapped my 86 because it was about the same condition as your 91 and not worth the effort to fix yo the level I wanted. Got an 85 to replace it. It's staying an 4 cylinder, but might not stay naturally aspirated. The V8 is going into the 99.

Danny74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Don't wait till it's broken to fix things
😳 Holey shlitz. Im in Lower Orange County NY, near the bergan county NJ border. What part of NNJ ? . Maybe I could come check this out when your working on it sometime?

betch102

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
@Danny74 I’m in Bergen county lol and yea I’d be down

i finally got the engine out of the mountaineer, quite daunting I enlisted the help of my girlfriends sisters boyfriend (he’s a diesel mechanic) and he talked me into stand alone

so being that I’m gonna do stand alone what should i keep from mountaineer I currently have engine and computer i need to get rear axle out of it still but pressure is on to get rid of the truck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals