• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302/t18 swap questions

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
For us guys with mechanical speedometers the BW4406 has no speedometer drive.
Understood. My point is that the BW1356 is even wider than the 4406 and would probably be a difficult install in any Ranger. The OP is considering the 1356 as a possibility for his swap.

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So after some research it would appear that I have a bw1345. I didn't even know this existed. I found that a bw1356 has been swapped before but not without serious frame notching. Also will need to lift the body and cut a tab off of the transfer case. I read that the 1345 might be smaller than the 1356 but I could not find any measurements.

If all else fails I can slide the engine transmission over to the pass ger side and it "should" clear. Sorry for getting confused about the transfer case.

Tberry

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all!

I'm planning on swapping my 2.9 for a 302 backed by a t18 with a bw1356???...I think that's the transfer case that's behind it anyway. I have some questions for anyone with answers.

I have read through the stickies and the 302 swap write ups. I know what I need to do for the engine. The component that I am asking about is the transmission. Most people it seem swap in an aod or t5 or mazda. I k ow the t18 is overkill but it something I have laying around. So its cost effective for me.

The question I have is, since the t18 is so low geared is there a gear I can swap into my axle that could make up for the low gearing in the trans? What is recommended? What are all of your experiences with a set up like this?

Current truck is all stock. My302 ill be swapping will be extremely mild. Comp 4x4 cam ported e7 heads. Roller rockers and maybe some performance pistons (I haven't decided). 2bbl motorcraft carb. I will eventually add 4 inches of lift 8.8 axle swap and 33s which I know will drop my rpm down some at higher speeds. I most likely will not have the money to ALL of it at one time and because of this I ask that anyone who replies if you don't mind give me your best answer for the axle ratio with stock size tire and with 33s.

Entended result of the truck is mostly daily driver. Partial work truck. I know its a long shot but I'm hoping for 16 mpg...but with a t18 I know that's asking a lot.

Thanks for any help you have. I'd appreciate any input though on this setup if you have any words of wisdom. And I apologize if this has been covered before...I tried searching for t18 info and I wasnt coming up with much.
Did you ever get a t18 in?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Did you ever get a t18 in?
That user has not been online in 5 years, I doubt they will chime in.

I have an NP435 in my truck, pretty similar to a T18. What do you need to know about it?

Tberry

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
That user has not been online in 5 years, I doubt they will chime in.

I have an NP435 in my truck, pretty similar to a T18. What do you need to know about it?
Just wanted to know shifter modifications given it's so far forward into the dash. You got pictures?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Just wanted to know shifter modifications given it's so far forward into the dash. You got pictures?
Yeah... a body lift may help with this situation but this was one of the most frustrating moments of my swap. I saw someone else use a NP-435 and the shifter cleared the dash - no idea how they made that work - but I figured it would fit, bought a transmission, went through all the trouble of getting the 302 positioned right and then discovered this disaster. I was already pretty deep into the project financially so I just notched a section out of the dash and moved on. I hate how it looks but I love everything else about it. FYI I had to heat up the shifter with a torch and bend it in a couple spots.

Tberry

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah... a body lift may help with this situation but this was one of the most frustrating moments of my swap. I saw someone else use a NP-435 and the shifter cleared the dash - no idea how they made that work - but I figured it would fit, bought a transmission, went through all the trouble of getting the 302 positioned right and then discovered this disaster. I was already pretty deep into the project financially so I just notched a section out of the dash and moved on. I hate how it looks but I love everything else about it. FYI I had to heat up the shifter with a torch and bend it in a couple spots.

So you dont have a bodylift in this picture?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
So you dont have a bodylift in this picture?
That is correct, no body lift. This truck has a 6" lift and 35's so I was trying to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

There is a small chance that the shifter could have been bent further down and clear the dash without the notch but I was worried that I'd weaken the shifter if I bent it more than a time or two. At the time shifters were few & far between so I decided to just cut the dash instead.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals