• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ranger rear axle swap, some guidance needed.

JDiFet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I have a 2000 ranger 4x4. It has the 8.8 28 splined rear. Due to its condition I need to replace it. I’m looking at a fairly newer rear out of a 2011 (also 8.8) but it has disc brakes. If I were to swap it in what would I need to change to accommodate the new disc brakes? As in brake lines, parking cables etc etc.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
What’s wrong with your current axle? I usually go through and replace bearings, seals, brakes and gear oil before putting an axle under the truck and limited slip clutches if the axle has it. So if all your axle needs is a refresh, that’s the cheaper option. The 8.8 in any form is a decent axle.

Gearing is important if you have 4x4 or specific things you are trying to achieve. If you have a 4x4 and are only changing the rear axle, you have to use the same gear ratio. Or you have to change both axles.

I don’t know if a 2011 axle uses the same setup as the 2000 for getting wheel speed and ABS readings, something you will have to verify. Someone else may know, I’ve never swapped anything newer than a 2000 so far. Newer Rangers that have the disk brake rear don’t seem to end up in local junkyards.

I do know that the Explorer disk brake rear uses different brake cables for the ones coming off each side but hook to the Ranger mid and front cables. The brake hose that goes up to the frame and connects to the hard line fits the Ranger fine too. The down side to the Explorer axle is where the spring perches are mounted.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Hey guys, I have a 2000 ranger 4x4. It has the 8.8 28 splined rear. Due to its condition I need to replace it. I’m looking at a fairly newer rear out of a 2011 (also 8.8) but it has disc brakes. If I were to swap it in what would I need to change to accommodate the new disc brakes? As in brake lines, parking cables etc etc.
2011 axle is a different size tube. You would have to change u bolts, spring mounts, etc. Plus RABS will not work. Not sure if parking brake cables interchange. Probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Speedometer in a '00 is driven off the tone ring on the rear axle so the speedo wouldn't work either...

JDiFet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, so it looks like they’re not as interchangeable as I thought. So it’s a no-go for a 2011 rear. To answer @lil_Blue_Ford, my axle tube has a big crack in it. I had it braced by a buddy who’s sort of familiar with rangers, and it worked for about a year, but it’s starting to leak again and I just want to throw a new rear in and get it over with.
The truck is a 4x4 and it’s running 4.10s, I plan to keep it that way. For some reason the 4.10 rears are hard to come by.

I considered the explorer rear, but the spring perch having to be remounted is a turn off for me. I just want something I can pretty much bolt up and drive. So I guess a 2000 rear it is!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so it looks like they’re not as interchangeable as I thought. So it’s a no-go for a 2011 rear. To answer @lil_Blue_Ford, my axle tube has a big crack in it. I had it braced by a buddy who’s sort of familiar with rangers, and it worked for about a year, but it’s starting to leak again and I just want to throw a new rear in and get it over with.
The truck is a 4x4 and it’s running 4.10s, I plan to keep it that way. For some reason the 4.10 rears are hard to come by.

I considered the explorer rear, but the spring perch having to be remounted is a turn off for me. I just want something I can pretty much bolt up and drive. So I guess a 2000 rear it is!
The rear I took out of my green 00 Ranger is a 4.10, I put an Explorer 8.8 with 3.73 in the truck and changed the front too. It will be an AWD beast when I get done with it. Welding isn’t a problem for me but I’m using it flipped in the Ranger to lower it. I’d offer to make you a deal on the old rear, but right now I have no way of hauling it anywhere really, so you’d have to come all the way here or have it shipped and I’m on the wrong side of the state, lol

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You can widen it out past 2000, '93-09 are pretty much identical as long as you get drum to drum, the drum centering size changed around '06 I think... as long as you're not really picky about width you can drop that down to '90 (they're about an inch narrower before '93)

kansastj

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Better plan on buying new shackles w/ bolts and u-bolts. I just did an explorer 8.8 swap in a 2WD ranger to lower and for an upcoming V8 swap. My shackles bolts were super rusty and I had to cut out via 4" angle grinder and reciprocating saw. Took way longer than expected. FYI.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals