• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 ranger 5.0 and 5 speed swap

cruisingkc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford / ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 ranger 3.0 5 speed 4x4 and I also have a 2000 explorer limited 5.0 awd. I would like to swap the motor and don't want to use the transmission. I can't find a m5r2 w/ the right shifer location. I can find a 5 speed & tcase from 92 f150 for 300$ or a zf s5-42 for 600$ then find a tcase.
So my question is what is the most feasible route besides just using the 4odawd. Any input would be greatly appreciated

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'd probably just keep looking, there has to be one floating around... Not many F150's in the junkyards that are still around. Whereabouts in Oregon are you? The pick a part on Foster is about the only game around unless you head south to Turner south of Salem that I know of... the Sherwood yard closes for the winter now so they don't have much of anything at the moment...

Aside from the transmission the other issue you have is the offset of the transfer case, the 44-06 that came behind the F150's with M5OD R2's also had those which are the narrowest manual transfer case, or electric if you wanted to stick with what you have...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Try this site: https://www.car-part.com/
Ford F-150
Transmission
USA
Sort by distance
YOUR Zipcode
Search

New window
MT 4x4 6 cylinder(the 4.2l)
Search

If its distant then ask about shipping, most places can plug in the weight and your zipcode/address and give you a quote, free to ask

Wrecking yard may also have the transfer case with it, but you can also search for that separately

cruisingkc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford / ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'd probably just keep looking, there has to be one floating around... Not many F150's in the junkyards that are still around. Whereabouts in Oregon are you? The pick a part on Foster is about the only game around unless you head south to Turner south of Salem that I know of... the Sherwood yard closes for the winter now so they don't have much of anything at the moment...

Aside from the transmission the other issue you have is the offset of the transfer case, the 44-06 that came behind the F150's with M5OD R2's also had those which are the narrowest manual transfer case, or electric if you wanted to stick with what you have...
I'm in Central Oregon and there aren't much yards left

cruisingkc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford / ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm in Central Oregon and there aren't much yards left
if I run a 4406 on my auto transmission would I need to change the drive lines?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yes, the 4406 has a different setup than the AWD T case, I'm trying to remember the difference but I'm pretty sure the AWD has a CV joint on the front output like the Ranger will have (don't know if it's the same flange), I know the rear output of the 4406 is a slip spline but think the front has the slip in the front driveline. I know what it takes to convert a V8 Explorer to the 4406 driveline wise, 4.6L front driveline from F150 or Expedition (along with a 13-30 to 13-10 conversion U joint) and rear driveline from a 5.4L Expedition, a Ranger will be different in the rear length wise...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals