• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2 Water Leak Fixes

2000RangerY

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi All,

I have two water leak fixes that I have discovered on my 2000 Ranger that I would like to contribute to the community.

First, always attempt to fix the water leak from the outside first. If not, there is a good chance that you will trap moisture and rot out that area faster. Use food coloring in a jug of water to help find the leak. Cracks in the factory seam sealer is a good red flag that the leak is close.

Driver's side: I removed the fender to access the area. I had a leak coming from the top under side of the dash. To fix it, I used some urethane seam sealer. I applied it on all of the seams down to the level of the upper door hinge. Do not block off the lower horizontal seams of an area. For example, if you have an area that has an upper and lower seam, don't seal the lower. You need to allow the water to drain. I removed the factory foam pieces. They where distorted and I am thinking that they might have been adding to the problem.

Passenger's side: I removed the fender to access the area. My leak was coming from a body seam. It is in a lower area that has three seams coming together. I chiseled out the interior factory seam sealer and discovered the discolored area. I went from the outside and pushed some new seam sealer in that area. I noticed that is squeezed in to the interior and sealed the hole. I then sealed the interior as well. I removed the factory foam pieces. They where distorted and I am thinking that they might have been adding to the problem.

I circled the area where the three body seams join.

I hope this helps someone.

Take care,
Pete

leak.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals