• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 Ranger Head Bolt question.

Danny Rominger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Had to replace heads on 1999 ranger 3.0 engine. Got new head bolts (Felpro ES 72174) and I have the Ford 1999 Ranger workshop manual book 1. On page 303-01B-104 in that book it says to 1- tighten bolts, 2 - loosen bolts, 3 - tighten again, then 4 - tighten again. I used the max numbers on that spec, so I first tighten to 59lb-ft, then loosen up one turn, then tighten to 40 lb-ft, then tighten again to 73 lb-ft. Is that it? No TTYing is mentioned to do on this page. Almost got the engine put back together, but if I needed to do extra turning (TTYing) than what this Ford OEM book says to do, then I might loose my religion and cuss like no means thinking I will have to tear engine back down again to do extra tightening (TTYing) Just want to make sure I did this right and OK with what I did. Ford Ranger's head bolts

Attachments

Danny Rominger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
That last step #4 to tighten to 73 lb-ft. Is that the yielding?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you get new head bolts? I'm not saying that you needed to. Some engines are one time use, others are reusable, I don't know which the 3.0L is.

Rereading your post I see that you did get new head bolts.

Did they come with instructions?

Sometimes head bolt makers will have special instructions for their headbolts that differ from factory specifications. If none were provided go with what the service manual says. If you did through step 4 then you are done. Not all engines have TTY bolts that require a degree turn after finaltorque step.

For future questions you would be better served by posting in the right section of the forum. This section (1983-2011 Ford Ranger Mini Trucks) is not intended for tech questions but to show off your truck and what you are doing to it. There is a section further down dedicated tech questions regarding the 3.0L engine. A lot of other parts of the truck have dedicated sections as well.

Danny Rominger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Did you get new head bolts? I'm not saying that you needed to. Some engines are one time use, others are reusable, I don't know which the 3.0L is.

Rereading your post I see that you did get new head bolts.

Did they come with instructions?

Sometimes head bolt makers will have special instructions for their headbolts that differ from factory specifications. If none were provided go with what the service manual says. If you did through step 4 then you are done. Not all engines have TTY bolts that require a degree turn after finaltorque step.

For future questions you would be better served by posting in the right section of the forum. This section (1983-2011 Ford Ranger Mini Trucks) is not intended for tech questions but to show off your truck and what you are doing to it. There is a section further down dedicated tech questions regarding the 3.0L engine. A lot of other parts of the truck have dedicated sections as well.
OK thanks for your reply. Just new to this forum and learning it. I will try to find that section and re issue the question.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
OK thanks for your reply. Just new to this forum and learning it. I will try to find that section and re issue the question.
One of the moderators has already moved it. It's just easier to get the right people looking at your questions when they are posted in the correct place. Also easier for people that might have the same question in the future to find it.

Danny Rominger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
One of the moderators has already moved it. It's just easier to get the right people looking at your questions when they are posted in the correct place. Also easier for people that might have the same question in the future to find it.
OK I see it has been moved. Hopefully will get more views and responses. And no the bolts didn't come with instructions. So I think I might be OK but just not sure. I looked up the Felpro head bolts that I bought and few websites says they're TTY but most don't mention it. Even Felpro.com don't mention that they are TTY but does says this about them:

• Meets or exceeds all original equipment specifications
  • Application specific design to ensure a perfect fit
  • Avoid risk associated with re-use of T-T-Y (torque to yield) head bolts
  • Validated for fit, form and function
  • Unsurpassed quality you can trust

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
FelPro didn't include special instructions, so they wanted you to use manufacturer instructions. If they are TTY, the factory instructions torqued them to the point that they need to be. If they are not TTY, the instructions torqued them to the point that they need to be.

To quote a YouTube personality: "A man can worry a thing to death" -Derek (VGG)

Stop worrying about it. You followed the instructions, trust them. You've done that part of the job the best that you can. If you have issues, it probably won't be because of the torque on those bolts.

As for what various parts sites say, I wouldn't put too much stock in that. You know how those sites will use stock photos for parts. That is using a generalized photo to represent the part rather than a photo of that particular part. Yeah, they do the same thing, but even more for part descriptions. The part manufacturer will list a genralized description and feature set of their product line, the reseller will copy or paraphrase that for their listing. That does not mean every product in the line has the features listed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals