• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 2.3 won't start

NorMI1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 1995 2.3 4 cyld 5 speed ranger that had been sitting for 2-3 years.The guy I bought it from had driven it a ways (25 mi)after the alt had seized up.It was in January.He had put a new belt on it but hadn't changed the alt,so it turned over really hard.
I took the belt off and it cranks over fine but won't start. it has spark,but doesn't seem to be getting fuel. The fuel filter had rusted out I changed that.I towed it about a half mile but it wouldn't start.Pulled a plug and it was dry. There seems to be fuel at the injectors,the fuel pump in the tank runs.
Any ideas what to do now?

Last edited:

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
If your sure you have spark and your sure you have fuel at the rail but not in the cylinders, then that pretty much leaves injector wiring. Are you sure the timing belt is good?

NorMI1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Dave,you were dead on.We looked at the timing belt,snapped in half.We'll start there .Thanks!

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Well, that's a relatively easy fix.

Since the Cam Position Sensor wasn't turning the fuel injection cycle was probably way off, it's no wonder you weren't seeing any gas on the plugs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals