• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ranger XLT 302 5.0 AOD Carb Swap, Ol’ Dirty Blue

TimWick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225 45 17
Hey all,

Recently got this XLT with a ruined wiring harness for a good deal. 1 owner vehicle in AZ so no rust other than surface.

Currently in progress for carb swapping the 2.3.

Parts list so far:
Weber 32/36
Racer Walsh adapter
Speedway motors distributor
Gm hei module
Pc-91 e coil
Fuel pressure regulator
Low pressure fuel sending unit (if needed)
Spacers for rims
2011 ford mustang 17in rims
New spark plugs
New battery
Stuff for oil change
Misc parts

Today I took the bed off to get to the sending unit. It’s been sitting since 2019 so will also drain the gas.

Currently have it registered and insured under classic car insurance so in AZ I can skip emissions.

IMG_2672.jpeg
IMG_2670.jpeg
IMG_2674.jpeg
IMG_2718.jpeg
IMG_2741.jpeg
IMG_2745.jpeg
IMG_2746.jpeg
IMG_2748.jpeg
IMG_2749.jpeg
IMG_2750.jpeg
IMG_2752.jpeg
IMG_2753.jpeg
IMG_2754.jpeg
IMG_2756.jpeg
IMG_2757.jpeg
IMG_2760.jpeg
IMG_2761.jpeg
IMG_2762.jpeg
IMG_2767.jpeg
IMG_2769.jpeg

TimWick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225 45 17
Today tires came in. Got them mounted and balanced and swapped over.

IMG_2775.jpeg
IMG_2776.jpeg
IMG_2779.jpeg

2011 ford mustang wheels
17x7 40 offset
Tires are 225 60 17
1 1/2 in spacers
Could probably get away with 1 inch spacers. May get a set to swap out and test. Does fit the wheel well though with the 1 1/2 in the front.

TimWick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225 45 17
Pulled the tank today. Also placed back on the rear bed to get it out of the way until the new fuel tank and pump comes next week.

IMG_2780.jpeg
IMG_2781.jpeg
IMG_2782.jpeg
IMG_2783.jpeg
IMG_2784.jpeg

TimWick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225 45 17
The other day I started pulling fuel lines from the frame to run new lines.

Things were about ready to pop being old nylon. Going to be running new lines under after I get these pulled.

IMG_2790.jpeg
IMG_2791.jpeg
IMG_2792.jpeg
IMG_2793.jpeg
IMG_2786.jpeg
IMG_2785.jpeg

New fuel tank and sender should be here by the end of the week/weekend as well.

adapter for the carb came in. I must have read online wrong because the Weber does not bolt up to it like some other Google results said it would.

IMG_2803.jpeg
IMG_2804.jpeg

so now I bought another adapter for the adapter from here:

This should complete the trifecta of adapters.

Freeze plugs are also in the injector holes so it’s capped and ready.

Once it’s on and going I’ll write up all the things needed for the swap as well. Parts piling up, as well as money draining in.

GJansen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi Tim. I'm in S. Scottsdale and am restoring a 1988 STX with a 2.9l. Still working on the engine. Curious, what's your plan for replacing the fuel lines? What material, are you going to replace any of those connectors, etc. Also, if you are looking for a wiring harness I know a kid who works on Rangers and may have one. If not, he scrounges the junkyards and could find one for you. Greg

TimWick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225 45 17
Hi Tim. I'm in S. Scottsdale and am restoring a 1988 STX with a 2.9l. Still working on the engine. Curious, what's your plan for replacing the fuel lines? What material, are you going to replace any of those connectors, etc. Also, if you are looking for a wiring harness I know a kid who works on Rangers and may have one. If not, he scrounges the junkyards and could find one for you. Greg
I am going to be modifying the stock wiring harness if required but switching to carb I should only need to run a few wires to get it running.

fuel lines I will be just going with this:
Gates 27003 Fuel Line/PCV/EEC... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002JMFLQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

and using these:
Dorman 800-080 Fuel Line Quick Connector That Adapts 5/16 In. Steel To 5/16 In. Nylon Tubing, 2 Pack https://a.co/d/fGuWYdY
Dorman 800-081 Fuel Line Quick... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E3487E?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Since I’m switching to carb I am also going to be using a pressure regulator:
APIELE Adjustable Universal Fuel... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C5QZ19N9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And just in case I bought this fuel pump if needed:
HEP-02A 12V Electric Fuel Pump... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C4X68SQM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I couldn’t get an answer from the seller on eBay about the in tank fuel pump but I believe it is enough pressure to use it by itself since it was previously for fuel injected, so I’ll just drop the psi to 2 to 2/12 right before the carb as specced for the Weber

GJansen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! I noticed when I pulled the engine I've got those brittle old poly tubes too. Regular fuel line and some connection adapters to the rescue. I'll probably pull the bed off when I do the body work. I'll replace the sender, pump (2 of them), and lines then. Thanks good luck with it!

TimWick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225 45 17
Thanks! I noticed when I pulled the engine I've got those brittle old poly tubes too. Regular fuel line and some connection adapters to the rescue. I'll probably pull the bed off when I do the body work. I'll replace the sender, pump (2 of them), and lines then. Thanks good luck with it!
Good luck to you as well.

I’m just going order of operations one system at a time.

Fuel/air/spark

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Please don't run rubber hose all the way to the front, it's not hard to bend up some steel lines and it'll be a lot safer.

TimWick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225 45 17
Please don't run rubber hose all the way to the front, it's not hard to bend up some steel lines and it'll be a lot safer.
Yeah you’re right I’ll end up getting some line and learning how to do it then.

TimWick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225 45 17
Okay I have instead ordered this stuff

Dorman 800-036 Fuel Line Adapter - 5/16 In. Steel to 5/16 In.(8mm) Nylon Tubing, 2 Pack Universal Fit https://a.co/d/j5Q21JX
Shankly Flaring Tool Set (9 Piece - Professional Grade) Heavy Duty Brake Line Flaring Tool Kit and Swage Tool, Flare Tool with Tubing Straightener or Cutter (Not a Double Brake Flaring Tool) https://a.co/d/brFKtZ3
The Stop Shop 25 ft. Roll of Zinc Plated 5/16" Tubing - Fuel or Transmission https://a.co/d/0ytEgsl
5/16 Inch (8mm) ID Fuel Line Hose 10FT NBR Neoprene Rubber Push Lock Hose High Pressure 300PSI for Automotive Fuel Systems Engines https://a.co/d/4yLpsom

The rubber will be for each end. Ill use the fittings ordered previously to swap from hardline on the body to small rubber run to both the tank and on the other end the pressure regulator.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
On Post 4, The Fuel Canister is no longer available any where. Addicted Creationz on Face book sells some metal lines that bypass the canister. I have had the problem of them breaking. I am looking into removing the High Pressure Fuel Pump, bypassing the canister. I have not done it yet, but maybe something to think about. Running metal lines all the way would be the best bet.

TimWick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225 45 17
On Post 4, The Fuel Canister is no longer available any where. Addicted Creationz on Face book sells some metal lines that bypass the canister. I have had the problem of them breaking. I am looking into removing the High Pressure Fuel Pump, bypassing the canister. I have not done it yet, but maybe something to think about. Running metal lines all the way would be the best bet.
Yeah I am bypassing/ditching the canister myself. Especially since i'm switching to low pressure with the carb swap may not even need the in line fuel pump either. Will see once the tank and everything is setup with the pressure output. Or if the seller gets back to me with actual info for the psi.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Okay I have instead ordered this stuff

Dorman 800-036 Fuel Line Adapter - 5/16 In. Steel to 5/16 In.(8mm) Nylon Tubing, 2 Pack Universal Fit https://a.co/d/j5Q21JX
Shankly Flaring Tool Set (9 Piece - Professional Grade) Heavy Duty Brake Line Flaring Tool Kit and Swage Tool, Flare Tool with Tubing Straightener or Cutter (Not a Double Brake Flaring Tool) https://a.co/d/brFKtZ3
The Stop Shop 25 ft. Roll of Zinc Plated 5/16" Tubing - Fuel or Transmission https://a.co/d/0ytEgsl
5/16 Inch (8mm) ID Fuel Line Hose 10FT NBR Neoprene Rubber Push Lock Hose High Pressure 300PSI for Automotive Fuel Systems Engines https://a.co/d/4yLpsom

The rubber will be for each end. Ill use the fittings ordered previously to swap from hardline on the body to small rubber run to both the tank and on the other end the pressure regulator.
That'a a little better but I'd rather see you use steel line. I use a bender from Snap On but Harbor Freight has a similar looking tool for about $10. Gasoline burns.
1702479783048.png

TimWick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225 45 17
That'a a little better but I'd rather see you use steel line. I use a bender from Snap On but Harbor Freight has a similar looking tool for about $10. Gasoline burns.
View attachment 103044
in the parts list I had listed that I got this steel fuel line as well.

I also finally got a response from the fuel sending unit seller, they stated that the in tank pump is 4-6 psi. I am not sure it will lose too much pressure from there to the front so I won’t know until it’s together if I will need to install a in line fuel sending unit. I may install a brake from steel to rubber there just to leave room for the addition later on.

Yesterday I took off the thermostat housing to swap thermostats and it was caked with some goopy antifreeze. So instead of just changing the thermostat I will also need to change the housing as well just to be safe. Good thing I checked the thing was about half the size for flow then normal and the thermostat was toast.

Just going to add it to the parts pile.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals