• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 2.9L Ranger fuel pressure problems

Trace#3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
The original problem I was having with this truck was that, at random times, it would lose power, idle rough, and slowly idle down and die. There was a fuel leak coming from the fuel reservoir, tried to find a replacement for it but they are no longer for sell anywhere, online or in store.
I decided to replace the fuel lines from the tank to the engine, put in an inline fuel filter, new pump, new fuel pressure regulator, and new fuel pump relay and re-routed the return fuel line to flow directly to the tank. I started the truck, took it for a test drive and everything worked well. Started it the next day and all my problems were back.
Right now it has a lack of power when accelerating, sometimes it drives ok other times it cant go above 30 MPH. Tested for bad fuses, took a wild guess and cut out the fusible link for the O2 sensors and replaced it with a new inline fuse, still lacks power. I tested my fuel pressure, idle it is at 32psi and when I rev the engine it dips down to 20-25, if I keep pressing and releasing the gas I can get the truck to shudder and stall because of lack of fuel pressure.
I thought that because I changed the fuel delivery system it might be hard for the truck to have good fuel pressure but when I disconnect the vacum line on the fuel regulator my fuel pressure jumps up to 35-40 psi and stays there fairly consistently even when reving the engine. This truck has new fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump relay, fuel filter and pump, air filter and has been serviced regularly. Any idea what could be causing my problems? I'm thinking the MAP sensor or TPS sensor could be causing my problems but I don't know what the resistance should be for them or how to test them correctly. Any help is appreciated!!!

Trace#3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
This truck is a 1986 ford ranger 2.9L 4WD automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals