• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 Explorer Ranger

UofMfanJJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ExplorerRanger
Transmission
Manual
Hello, can anyone PM me a way to directly contact them in regards to a lot of questions that I have about my 1985 explorer ranger with a 2.8 and 4x4? Forever I couldn’t get spark but now I have spark. I spliced the wire to 12v to lock out timing and put a 2150 carb on with plans to get a duraspark II when available.

I am missing quite a few things and need bolt sizes / nut sizes for: power steering bracket, motor mounts. I need help figuring out exactly what wiring garbage I can eliminate and what can stay so I don’t make any mistakes.

If you are local to metro detroit even better if you’d be willing to lend me a hand piecing the rest of this thing back together before I just remove it, trash it and go 2.3 turbo.

I have 2 XR7 cougars and am much more familiar with / highly prefer a 2.3 turbo. I am debating eventually swapping in a 5.0 just because I miss my 5.0 LS cougar that was TBI and nothing beats good ol displacement, not that I ever want this to be a race truck by any means.

I have TONS of questions about what this or that is about this truck. The history of this truck, etc.

It says “duded up by pioneer” on the tail gate and has an extremely custom paint job. When asked before I was told it’s a “tier 3” paint job? It’s an “explorer” package truck. I knew I had to buy it when I saw it based on the paint, price and that emblem that I never saw on any ranger before. Obviously just a dealer package but really cool truck.

I spoke to someone who claimed to be the kid of the guy who painted this truck, but I could not get a hold of the guy himself and do not wish to bother him further if he does not wish to be contacted about the truck.

Thank you for your time, any prompt and immediate help with this thing is highly appreciated. Uber is costing me $250 every two weeks to get to work while still utilizing the bus. I wrecked one of my XR7’s a few weeks ago when someone turned left in front of me during my green light. I was not at fault.

My other one blew a turbo drain and I poured 7 quarts of oil into it and accidentally set the manifold on fire (which I put out immediately) on the way home before it started to knock.

So if I can finally get this bastard on the road I’ll have a truck to go pick up a 2.3 turbo and T5 with hopefully, get back to happy old me again banging gears in a 2.3 turbo (not that I wouldn’t enjoy the truck) while I focus on fixing what’s bad in the wrecked XR7.

thank you for your time I appreciate any prompt direct help I can receive.

UofMfanJJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ExplorerRanger
Transmission
Manual
When I have time soon to go out and take a picture of what I have for a sending unit anyone come up with a decent idea of what to do for me? I have the right prongs on whatever this thing someone made up is but it would leak like a siv and it’s outright a joke.

Whoever rebuilt this engine and worked on this truck did know what they were doing however..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals