• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C Clutch Frozen?

grn92xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all, I recently acquired a 92 Ranger from my brother. It's not a bad little truck, it just needs some minor work.

I noticed when the engine is running(4.0 V6 by the way), the a/c compressor clutch is always spinning, even with the blower off. Disconnecting the wire lead to the compressor has no change at all. If this were the case, would this part somehow "drag" the engine down? Truck has a habit of sucking fuel down like there's no tomorrow and it has some hesitation problems when first started. I already cleaned the MAF sensor and that made it run smoother, I'm just wondering if the compressor is putting any strain on the engine being engaged like that. Also, I can safely say the air conditioning does not work anyway, it just blows warm.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you have the heater set to defrost it runs the compressor.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you have the heater set to defrost it runs the compressor.

Not the problem, disconnecting the clutch wire should disengauge the AC compressor clutch.

Sounds like you need to replace the clutch.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
An always-engaged compressor -- especially one known to be out of its operating point (warm) -- can cause some significant mileage issues, but if it were bad enough to make it "suck down the fuel like there is no tomorrow", it would just make the serpentine belt slip. Really noisy.

So, there is likely a problem there, but it's not THE problem.

grn92xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all of your quick replies, I really appreciate it.

Mileage went up a little after I cleaned the MAF sensor. Not expecting 20+ mpg out of a truck with a little over 184,000 on the clock.

I do not want or need A/C in this truck. According to the belt routing sticker under the hood, it shows an option for "without A/C", so I'll just throw a non A/C belt on it.

Thank you.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you think you don't want A/C in your truck, you've never tried both options in wet weather.

The defogger actually works with A/C. Without it, it's not very effective.

But fixing your A/C is likely to be a bit pricey, since it is engaged but still warm.

And FYI, 20 MPG is about what you can expect from a 4.0L Explorer. Your truck is significantly lighter.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all of your quick replies, I really appreciate it.

Mileage went up a little after I cleaned the MAF sensor. Not expecting 20+ mpg out of a truck with a little over 184,000 on the clock.

I do not want or need A/C in this truck. According to the belt routing sticker under the hood, it shows an option for "without A/C", so I'll just throw a non A/C belt on it.

Thank you.

Not a good idea! Without running the compressor, it will tend to lock up, and you will be buying a complete compressor some day, instead of just the clutch.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I've gotten 21-ish from my 4.10 geared Ranger supercab 4x4 over the last THREE tanks of fuel and I'm not even trying to get good mileage.

Fix the A/C.

DO NOT simply replace the compressor clutch, if the compressor has been
spun even though it doesn't "make cold" the insides of the compressor are no longer "happy"

Might I suggest a junkyard compressor?

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals