• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

does this sound like a valve timing issue?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i've have been having problems for a while with my truck. it slowly (month or so) went from normal, to bad mpg/low power/fuel smell, to dead on the road, wont start. after doing a quick compression test i have about 30 psi on cyl #1 and less than that on cyl #3 and #4. i didnt check the other three yet and i wont unless i have to but my best guess is that my timing set has slipped or broken and caused this issue. i had to do a timing set about 6 months ago after the little tooth sheared off of the bottom gear leaving me with similar compression test results. sound like im on the right track?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
pulled the timing cover, nothing looks out of place. i cranked the engine over and the timing marks line up, nothing has slipped or skipped. anybdoy have any ideas? broken cam shaft???

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
throw a little oil in and check to rule out the rings

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
throw a little oil in and check to rule out the rings
i thought that too since its been sitting but i should still have more than 30 psi even if it was bone dry, right?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
i thought that too since its been sitting but i should still have more than 30 psi even if it was bone dry, right?

Are you trying to turn this over by hand to get this compression reading? or using the starter?

That would my thought as well "more than 30 psi"...should be some where around 100psi. very healthy is more than that.
so... it is either leaking past the rings, or valves, or out a crack in block or head or the head gasket. possiblity of broken valve springs, or bent valve rods too. you can see that the list gets large quick. concidering that the 2.9 heads are a problem area...well you get the picture.

I'm sure others here will be able to give more info as to how to ascertain where is it leaking/loosing compression with readings form a compression test.

putting a spoon full of oil in each cylinder prior to compression test couldn't hurt.

If your confident that valves ,head and pistion/rings are reasonably solid ...maybe you've lost the roll pin in the distributor gear.

hope that helps

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
the point of using oil is to check it dry then with oil.if it improves you know that rings are at least PART of the problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals