• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford ceo favors .50/gal fuel tax increase

tempforce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
link here

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/08/gas_ford.html

i don't know where his reasoning comes from.
people will drive less and or have less available money to buy products, such as replacement vehicles. sounds like he's shooting his-self in the pocket book.
lowering prices and taxes, makes it easier for people to buy the stuff they need and they are able to buy extras sooner.

if the government used the money they get from us, like we have to. they would have surpluses every year.

ford's ceo, needs to get real and listen to his customers, not politicians.

jasonl

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.25"
Ummm that article was from August 2007. Man if gas goes back up before this recession ends we will go into a depression. Heck we might anyhow. Isn't it funny how as bad as things were it took the corrupt speculators to get gas to $4 gal to finally break the camels back.

Last edited:

Hawker

Reaction score
Politicians love to raise taxes. Car manufacturers don't care where they come up with the money to support them, just keep it coming and lots of it. This is just one guy scratching their back and getting well paid for it. (yeah, Ford not on the dole yet but will be there soon). If he's such a deep planner and thinker, how come they're in the shape they're in?

BrokeRecord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ceo

It sounds like he's brown nosing Congress to see that he wants to help out, by hitting the taxpayers for the bail out and getting taxed more at gas pump. Ergo, little man pays for it all.:headbang::icon_confused:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, you guys are missing the point.

Ford wants to research alternative fuels. The problem is, when gas is cheap the research is wasted money for them. It's already happened to all of the manufacturers--gas goes up, they dump a bunch of money into alternative fuels, gas drops and they have to chop up all the cars and eat the research losses. Fuel going from $4 down to $1.70 makes it tough to game plan.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, you guys are missing the point.

Ford wants to research alternative fuels. The problem is, when gas is cheap the research is wasted money for them. It's already happened to all of the manufacturers--gas goes up, they dump a bunch of money into alternative fuels, gas drops and they have to chop up all the cars and eat the research losses. Fuel going from $4 down to $1.70 makes it tough to game plan.
They could still do the research. They just have a harder time justifing the cost to the board members. IMO

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Toyota isn't saddled with the UAW.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Toyota isn't saddled with the UAW.
What the hell does the UAW have to do with it? I get tired of people blaming the unions for companies problems.

Their contracts were NEGOTIATED, both sides AGREE to the terms. How fuckin hard is this to understand!

SAS_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 or 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
If prices go back up like that during last summer + the .50 cent tax I don't think I can afford to drive period.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
check the timeline of the artical. it was not written last night. By Joe Benton
ConsumerAffairs.com

August 8, 2007

fucking uaw has everything to do with it......30 years of unnecessary redtape fucking bullshit negotiatons that are accords more then fair reasonable deals...reality is reality....not a whole lot of room for that with things being what they are from non union to union....

its the standard that helped get us where we are today...one of the ways that drove my medical insurance (self employed competing with reality) to 1500 a month 6 years or so ago...couple years of that and i had to give it up..was only paying 7- 800's late 90's.

now that the world banks have recovered from debt forgivness you all paid for in fuel prices.....seems possible that greed collapsed the economy? and they just took a bunch more money..??

looks that way. i dunno..:icon_confused:

:icon_rofl:

if the big three cant keep r@d justified for 0 or near zero emmissions...

FUK-EM

DIE MOTHER F-RS DIE!

:annoyed:

its not all hate like that though...i do support a fuel surcharge for direct r&d funds for AMERICAN COMPANIES to clean up the fleet in short order

call me a COMMIE...i dont care but it can be done and its a small price to pay for the short term in my eyes..

Last edited:

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Gas tax on fuel means more money for the govt. More money for the govt means more funds avail for lending. Its also means that with more money coming in from fuel taxes, tax breaks to auto manufacturers can be handed out.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Now, I know I'm talking about FORESIGHT and WISDOM and other qualities typically lacking in our lobbyist-driven oligarchy (oh, sorry... were you... still living FD&H inside the "democracy" matrix?... my bad), but anyway...

... if FEDGOD had s-l-o-w-l-y ramped up gas taxes (e.g. $0.02/year), starting WAY BACK in 1973 (remember the gas lines and RATIONING?), AND kept the gas-guzzler tax in place, AND put almost ALL the increase into alt.energy research and pilot programs, then:

a) You wouldn't even notice the tax;
b) we'd BE in alt.energy land (like Brazil, but NOT w/ ethanol);
c) we would NOT be dying in Iraq (you didn't think it was about WMDs.... did you? It was because Saddam started selling his OIL for EUROS instead of US greenbacks... his bad.)
d) we would save HUNDREDS of BILLIONS on DoD budget every year... to be plowed back into the "homeland"...

Think Manhattan Project... think Apollo Moon Project... think Ranger 4x4 getting 40MPG on CNG... :icon_thumby:

98mazdaman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont want to pay any more money than i have to.

firefighter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
maybe ford favors the increas beaucse the run some of the most fuel efficant cars/trucks on the road as far as domestic cars go. So if someone is dead set on Ford/Chevy/Dodge for there next veichel and the gas goes up, then fuel efficanty will be even further in the mind and will see ford as a leader in the catagorie.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals