• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Muffler delete

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
Food for thought in regard to modifying exhaust:

There's a fella on the Ranger 5G site who grenaded his motor due to an aftermarket tune, so the repairs on him, not Ford. It's a $14,000 repair.

He wants the dealership to install the new motor so he can get the warranty back.

His truck had a Ford Performance exhaust on it. The only way he can get the warranty on the new motor is if he has the dealership put a stock exhaust on it.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Food for thought in regard to modifying exhaust:

There's a fella on the Ranger 5G site who grenaded his motor due to an aftermarket tune, so the repairs on him, not Ford. It's a $14,000 repair.

He wants the dealership to install the new motor so he can get the warranty back.

His truck had a Ford Performance exhaust on it. The only way he can get the warranty on the new motor is if he has the dealership put a stock exhaust on it.
I find this hard to believe. At least with the exhaust. I have an aftermarket exhaust on my wife's focus. Ford performance I installed my self. They just put a new trans in no problem. Under warranty and have never given me any grief. it's a 2014 with a 10 year 100000 mile and they have never said anything. I think though when you do any tune to adjust factory parameters is where you get in trouble. But I've put several bolt on models on her focus and no issues. Maybe I just have an awesome dealer

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
There are lots of exhaust clips on YouTube. I like this one, also I like the dual out the back look.

I really like the sound of this. But will have to go with the single exit with the black tip. Scared the duals wouldn't be loud enough to wake neighborhood hahaha

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I find this hard to believe. At least with the exhaust. I have an aftermarket exhaust on my wife's focus. Ford performance I installed my self. They just put a new trans in no problem. Under warranty and have never given me any grief. it's a 2014 with a 10 year 100000 mile and they have never said anything. I think though when you do any tune to adjust factory parameters is where you get in trouble. But I've put several bolt on models on her focus and no issues. Maybe I just have an awesome dealer
Exhaust is a replacement part. I don't see how that can affect your warranty. Now if you ask the dealer, they will tell you that everything voids the warranty because they don't want to be bothered figuring it out. I put a Gibson cat-back on my old '08 Sport Trac when it was almost new and I also bought the extended warranty which I used A LOT for an alternator, radiator, and a multitude of front hub and bearing assemblies. Dealer never said a word about it. I can see how a tune would void your warranty. Functionally there is no difference between an exhaust from Midas or Gibson or Magnaflow, whatever.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
Functionally there is no difference between an exhaust from Midas or Gibson or Magnaflow, whatever.
Sure there is. They all flow different based on the configuration of the pipes and the mufflers. And that flow is what = HP/Torque gains.

But what folks forget is we aren't living in the 1970's anymore, where the factory put very restrictive exhaust on the vehicles and huge power gains could be achieved from an aftermarket exhaust.

Did you put in a warranty claim for a blown motor on your Focus?

The only reason the factory is telling Project Midnight to put on stock exhaust is because his extensive modifications grenaded motor. Therefore if he wants a warranty on the new motor, it needs to be as the factory intended while it's under warranty. There's nothing hard to believe about it, it makes perfect sense.

But if you go in for an oil change, a tire rotation, or a detail.... sure, you are right, the dealership doesn't do an inspection for aftermarket parts.

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I never denied warranty as a service manager, if the situation was questionable I contacted the Ford FSE(field service engineer) and had him decide. If the dealer did a repair under warranty that Ford disapproved of, it could be charged back to the dealer. Other than flood damage or a salvage title, practically nothing "voids" a warranty. If a modification can be blamed for a failure, the claim will ne denied. For example: dusted diesel engine with an aftermarket air filter, especially if it hasn't been maintained, driveline vibrations on lifted trucks, blown head gaskets on chipped diesels. Dealers don't want to be the bad guy and get sued but they also don't want to be charged back for an expensive claim. Extended service plans are tougher, if their inspector sees a plow frame on a truck without the factory plow prep package-for example-you're on your own. It's true that newer vehicles have better flowing exhaust so actual power gains are apt to be very small.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Sure there is. They all flow different based on the configuration of the pipes and the mufflers. And that flow is what = HP/Torque gains.

But what folks forget is we aren't living in the 1970's anymore, where the factory put very restrictive exhaust on the vehicles and huge power gains could be achieved from an aftermarket exhaust.
I get that but my point is that a cat-back exhaust is simply a replacement part and shouldn't affect your warranty like a tune or chip. And FWIW, if you get the Ford tune AND it is installed by a Ford dealer or ASE certified mechanic then you keep the warranty. BTW, I won't be getting it because 1) it costs $800+ and 2) you have to run 91 octane which around here is 60 cents more a gallon.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
I get that but my point is that a cat-back exhaust is simply a replacement part and shouldn't affect your warranty like a tune or chip.
Bolt an exhaust made for your Toro lawn mower onto the converter... see any issues with that? People do some really stupid shit these days. Many folks assume (ass-u-me) aftermarket parts are as good or better than oem... that's simply not always the case. And that's Ford's point.

And FWIW, if you get the Ford tune AND it is installed by a Ford dealer or ASE certified mechanic then you keep the warranty.
I'm well aware of that. But the warranty isn't any good at all if you've modified something on the truck that Ford deems harmful to the engine. And yes, Ford sells parts for the Ranger that are not warranty compliant, their Performance Exhaust is one of those parts. You as the consumer need to do the due diligence and research the parts, if they are not OEM for your specific vehicle.

That's the point...

Some folks don't care about the warranty, other's do. If you do care and you're modifying your stock Ranger that is under warranty, Caveat Emptor.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Ford would have a very interesting time winning on court on a claim that the exhaust was the cause of a grenaded motor.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
My dealer told me any bolt on aftermarket parts would not void my warranty. Hell they sell the new ones on the lot with exhaust, air intakes, lifts and more. They said that only performance tunes added to computer would void it. But peramiters of the motor are not changed due to bolt ons like exhaust and air intakes. Said it would be almost impossible to prove they would cause terminal reactions to motor. Now that being said I live in Tennessee. I know some states have laws against aftermarket upgrades due to emissions. so that could be his issue

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I think we are all forgetting one very important thing.

Engines is goes vroom.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
My dealer told me any bolt on aftermarket parts would not void my warranty. Hell they sell the new ones on the lot with exhaust, air intakes, lifts and more. They said that only performance tunes added to computer would void it. But peramiters of the motor are not changed due to bolt ons like exhaust and air intakes. Said it would be almost impossible to prove they would cause terminal reactions to motor. Now that being said I live in Tennessee. I know some states have laws against aftermarket upgrades due to emissions. so that could be his issue
You sure do trust your dealer, don't you? And some of the things you are stating just aren't true.

Bigger tires and lifts can indeed void your warranty. They can cause driveline vibrations, binding and installing bigger tires changes the driveline ratios. Depending on how big those tires are, they may have removed the intrusion bars too. Safety features Ford installed, that the dealer removed.

Changing the air intake can indeed void your warranty. If you have an aftermarket tune and you change the air intake, they will re-tune the motor for that new intake. Why? Because the ability of the motor to take in more air does indeed change the "peramiters of the motor"

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Changing the air intake can indeed void your warranty. If you have an aftermarket tune and you change the air intake, they will re-tune the motor for that new intake. Why? Because the ability of the motor to take in more air does indeed change the "peramiters of the motor"
No.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
Here's what Ford's Warranty states:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY?

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification

"the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part or software (other than a certified emissions part or software) or any part or software (Ford or non-Ford) designed for off-road use only installed
after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part to fail. Examples include, but are not limited to lift kits, oversized tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting systems and performance-enhancing powertrain components or software and performance “chips”."

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals