• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2019 Ranger Powertrain

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Just an FYI, the base V6 in the 2018 F-150 is now a 3.3L. All 2018 F-150 engines, including the base 3.3L, now incorporate Ford's latest fuel injection technology which combines more traditional multi-port with direct injection into the combustion chamber. This results in better efficiency and more power with a side benefit of less carbon buildup on the backside of the intake valves which has been an issue on some direct injection only engines.
The 2018 base 3.3L has slightly higher power ratings than the 2017 base 3.5L all while increasing its combined city/highway fuel mileage rating by +2 mpg.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is the improved fuel mileage due to the reduced displacement/injection technology? Or due to fact that for '18, the base engine is paired with the 10 speed and has auto start/stop* (For '17 only the Ecoboost received the 10 spd, everything else got the 6 spd...)

And does it really equate to real world results? (My brother's Gran Cherokee has to down shift once if there is anything but a tailwind on the highway as it can't pull top gear at 120 km/h).

*Boosting CR by approximately a point in both NA engines won't hurt their efficiency numbers. It's crazy that they can run 12:1 on 87 octane fuel...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
:icon_surprised:

you poor bastards..

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is the improved fuel mileage due to the reduced displacement/injection technology? Or due to fact that for '18, the base engine is paired with the 10 speed and has auto start/stop* (For '17 only the Ecoboost received the 10 spd, everything else got the 6 spd...)

And does it really equate to real world results? (My brother's Gran Cherokee has to down shift once if there is anything but a tailwind on the highway as it can't pull top gear at 120 km/h).

*Boosting CR by approximately a point in both NA engines won't hurt their efficiency numbers. It's crazy that they can run 12:1 on 87 octane fuel...
The truck also got a facelift for '18... better aero may be in play also.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like all of the above.

Again, my preference/hope is that the 2019 Ranger is available with the 2.7 EcoBoost, the 10-speed auto and a 3.73 axle ratio all in an FX4 package. I want it to be able to tow 7k lbs and I don't have much interest in a diesel (higher fuel prices, higher maintenance costs, higher initial vehicle price, etc. etc.).

Nor do I have a lot of interest in a Ranger Raptor. I don't live anywhere near a desert and it will probably be too expensive anyway. If I want any off-road mods, like a different wheel/tire package or better shocks, fender flares, etc., I would rather do those myself and within my budget. I also don't want a suspension that would not be well suited for towing, and that's probably what you will get with a Raptor.

I would also actually prefer a 6-speed manual trans but I seriously doubt that will be offered, especially behind the top engine option, whatever that might be.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FX4 is just a sticker and shock package now on an F-150, they don't even get the cool lights and interior anymore.

I feel kind of dirty, while we were in Hawaii for our honeymoon last week I must have seen half a dozen flat dark earth (aka Quicksand) TRD Tacoma's over there and they looked dang sharp. I like the shallow bed and aggressive looks... and they have a 6speed manual option. Neat to see a color other than red, blue, gray, black or white like Ford's offerings too.

Kind of almost tempting...

Last edited:

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
That's pretty much what the current Ranger FX4 is as well although it does get an upgrade in wheels and tires.

From what I have read the Ranger we can't buy yet is already a pretty capable off-roader and I would rather have the stock leaf spring rear suspension than the coil spring setup that is supposedly on the 2018 Ranger Raptor for other markets.

That design was introduced on the Everest SUV. My guess is that a coil spring setup would have a lower tow rating than leaf springs. Between that and the price I doubt I would be all that interested in a Ranger Raptor unless that is the only way to get a decent gas engine.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Half ton Rams have coils in the rear and get along ok towing.

While still substantial I think the F-150 Raptor takes a hit for towing too. Soft suspensions don't help towing.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I was just going over a "build your F-150" online and went through some of the details. Maybe this was mentioned before in this thread or elsewhere, but the new F-150 body (and box) is made entirely out of aluminum. That translates into a weight reduction of at least 500 lbs LESS than the previous metal body.

So some of the increase in things like fuel economy is due to that reduced weight. I was surprised though that they are showing fuel consumption as 9-12 litres/100 km which isnt bad for a full sized truck.

I couldn't find out if the new Ranger is going to be made of aluminum though. That would extend the life of these vehicles to well beyond the typical 20 to 30 years before they rust out so bad they become a hazard to drive.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was just going over a "build your F-150" online and went through some of the details. Maybe this was mentioned before in this thread or elsewhere, but the new F-150 body (and box) is made entirely out of aluminum. That translates into a weight reduction of at least 500 lbs LESS than the previous metal body.

So some of the increase in things like fuel economy is due to that reduced weight. I was surprised though that they are showing fuel consumption as 9-12 litres/100 km which isnt bad for a full sized truck.

I couldn't find out if the new Ranger is going to be made of aluminum though. That would extend the life of these vehicles to well beyond the typical 20 to 30 years before they rust out so bad they become a hazard to drive.
F-150 went to aluminum for 2015 so 2017 to 2018 it is nothing new. I don't think it really made a huge difference for mpg as much as it did for losing parasitic weight for payload/towing.

They are just facelifting the new (to us) Ranger for North America. Since it is a few years old I doubt they will go to aluminum this late in its run.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
seen any chevy commercials lately? like where they drop bricks or tool boxes onto bed floors. Ford may be re-thinking their use of aluminum.

FYI, winter road salt doesn't corrode only steel, it chews away at aluminum too.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
F-150 went to aluminum for 2015 so 2017 to 2018 it is nothing new. I don't think it really made a huge difference for mpg as much as it did for losing parasitic weight for payload/towing.

They are just facelifting the new (to us) Ranger for North America. Since it is a few years old I doubt they will go to aluminum this late in its run.
Ah, Ok...the way they portrayed it in the flyer made it appear to be an all new thing and maybe I misread the reference...it seemed like they were comparing it to all previous models.

seen any chevy commercials lately? like where they drop bricks or tool boxes onto bed floors. Ford may be re-thinking their use of aluminum.

FYI, winter road salt doesn't corrode only steel, it chews away at aluminum too.
I was careful throwing any thing into my Ranger out of fear of breaking something...I can see frozen aluminum cracking easily though...

Aluminum holds up a bit better than metal from what I've seen. And clear coating it or painting over it actually helps.

I had a set of the 10 hole aluminum rims on my Ranger and the clear coat came off...I had them sand blasted and then I painted them with rattle cans and they never crusted up after that...

Did the same to my Dodge rims last year and they are holding up really well...so I'd imagine some coating would be a good idea...as well as a floor liner like those plastic ones I had on my Ranger.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I wonder when all the aluminum aftermarket flatbed pickup bed and trailer manufacturer's will wake up too...

If you watch the scam commercial closely the steel Chevy bed also punctured but they showed it very fast and from a bad angle.

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Half ton Rams have coils in the rear and get along ok towing.

While still substantial I think the F-150 Raptor takes a hit for towing too. Soft suspensions don't help towing.
Half ton Ram has max payload of ~1,700lbs; F-150 has a crazy ~3,300lbs. Ford's towing is similarly crazy >13lbs, while ram is ~10.6k lbs...

Soft suspension with long travel isn't good combination for towing.

Ford is so upset with the Chev commercials they moved the Super Duty line to aluminum in '17.

With how thin they are making the aluminum foil, paint, how heavily they are stressing the engines, I doubt the current generation makes 10 years. We engineers are getting much better at MTBF occurring just after warranty expires.

85_Ranger4x4 - you would have liked the F-150 in Caribou Metallic on the local lot if you wanted something different. If it wasn't for fact it was loss leader (Regular cab, XL, 3.5, etc), I might have taken a closer look.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
85_Ranger4x4 - you would have liked the F-150 in Caribou Metallic on the local lot if you wanted something different. If it wasn't for fact it was loss leader (Regular cab, XL, 3.5, etc), I might have taken a closer look.
I did like that color, they had a neat green too. Then they killed both colors, went 50 shades of gray on the color options and shaped the front of the F-150 to look like a bar of soap.

XL (rubber floor, black grille) XL appearance package (gets you chrome bumpers for durability), 4x4 of course, 5.0 V8, extended cab... would be my truck and very obviously a special order. :bawling:

Local dealer had a Caribou supercrew on the lot for around $50k :shok:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals