• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Head gasket I think

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bob and Shady... Why argue? Why not give the best advice you have and allow others to do the same and then SHUT THE HELL UP!
It ain't about who is the best...It is about getting the guy back on the road. And he ain't interested in meaningless posts.
Big JIm

sun417

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Went through the engine and here is what I have #1,2,3 are covered with oil and the psi on each starting with 1 is 50,100,50 on the other three plugs faily clean in order #4,5,6
50, 50, 100 psi. Checked oil no coolant in it at all but very black about 350 miles on last oil change. Radiator no over heating no oil. Lower manifold looked good. Spark plug change and wire switch made no difference. Dont, know how to do a leak down so that not done. What do you guys think, I know this is gonna hurt

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Very strange, why did you quote me, instead of him, if you were responding to his post??????
It isn't strange at all. I do not answer every question, or make a comment in a separate post in order to get my post count up like some people do. I try to contain everything into a single post. High post counts do not make one any smarter or wiser. :derisive:shady
Bob and Shady... Why argue? Why not give the best advice you have and allow others to do the same and then SHUT THE HELL UP!
It ain't about who is the best...It is about getting the guy back on the road. And he ain't interested in meaningless posts.
Big JIm
It would be nice to be able to do this, but if you disagree with Ayers, or point out something that may not be correct, he becomes very defensive, and uses put downs instead of rational arguments. His reputation precedes him. shady

Last edited:

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Went through the engine and here is what I have #1,2,3 are covered with oil and the psi on each starting with 1 is 50,100,50 on the other three plugs faily clean in order #4,5,6
50, 50, 100 psi. Checked oil no coolant in it at all but very black about 350 miles on last oil change. Radiator no over heating no oil. Lower manifold looked good. Spark plug change and wire switch made no difference. Dont, know how to do a leak down so that not done. What do you guys think, I know this is gonna hurt
In cylinders 1 thru 3 no adjacent cylinders are reading the same, or close to the same, so I wouldn't think headgasket, or crack between cylinders.

In cylinders 4 thru 6, 4 and 5 are equal, but being that the readings on all cylinders are low, this may/may not be significant.

Since some of the plugs are oiling, I would suspect bad rings. The valve stem seals are probably contributing also. Burned/broken valves would probably give much lower readings depending on the damage. shady

Last edited:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Those readings are so low I suspect the test being done without taking all the plugs out to do the test.. If not then do the test again properly. If it was done correctly with all the plugs out and 2 or more compression strokes on each cylinder... you have a problem!
Testing that low is a sign that the engine is worn out and needs a complete rebuild.
Big JIm

289-tiger-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
50 psi readings and firing clean does not sound right. May I suggest a screw in type gauge for a proper reading.

sun417

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That was with a screw in type, I bought today.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I like leakdown tests because they are considerably easier to interpret, especially someone else's results. It's next to impossible to do it sort of wrong; if you screw up (mainly, wrong piston position), it's WILDLY wrong. There are lots of ways to screw up a compression test so the results look believable.

If the results are really as bad as reported, either the head gaskets are hosed in a fairly unlikely way (most breaches suck in coolant, not oil), the lower intake gasket is far worse than reported (I suspect this), or the piston rings in four cylinders are in really bad shape.

One redneck way to confirm bad piston rings (aside from a straightforward leakdown test) is to have someone drive behind you while you work the throttle. Bad rings will puff blue smoke when the throttle is stomped. Bad valve seals will puff it when the throttle is closed (including at first startup).

289-tiger-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That does not sound good. I knew a Falcon owner knows how to work on a car. If the readings are accurate, the engine will have to be overhauled.

Good luck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals