• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tony Stewart killed Kevin Ward Jr

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
It's dangerous enough to run out into a busy for-residential-vehicles road and challenge automobiles with your body. Even with the traffic roughly following the speed limit. A race track, that's dirt? (with it being night and a dark jump suit certainly not helping) Caution or not that was STUPID move, and it's unfortunate. By no means did he "have it coming", but I'm surprised more aren't killed that way. If you're still really pissed, confront them elsewhere, behind the pits, wherever, but NOT in the middle of the race track while there are still cars in motion.

Racing is routinely hailed as the most dangerous sport in the world.

Edit, the only time you need to get out of your car and away/on the ground is if it/you are on fire. Otherwise, wait for the rescue crew.

Last edited:

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Rule #1 in racing. When in a wreck stay in your car if you can. If not stay behind it. I watched that video about 15 times today and I for one wouldn't have been running out on a dark track wearing a black fire suit trying to start a fight during a race. What the hell was he thinking. Darwin award winner of the day IMHO.

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
bad accident...but as tmcalavy said ".Kevin Ward killed Kevin Ward..."

I have raced on the dirt track for years in the past, and only idiots ( soon to be darwin award winners) do stuff on the live (hot) track with cars going by. Most people with common sence takes it to the pits. If you took someone out in a race, they (and their crew) would be waiting at your trailer when you finished your run... and the fight was on.
Their are RULES that you do not leave the vehicle until safety crews are there (unless your car is on fire..etc)...just for this reason.
I seen the video many times, and from what I seenthere was no contact with tony's car up at the wall.
Ward was trying to out power Tony on the high side and got outta the groove and lost it into the wall. Then Ward gets out...and it looks like Ward almost got hit by the car (blue and white) before Tony's. it actually looks like it clipped him, then ward moves up the track and gets in front of tony's car.
Sprint cars have a Huge ass wing on top and in the front that blocks alot of the drivers view. My guess is Tony had no idea Ward hit the wall, then the caution came out. He came around the turn following the car in front of him. the he moves up the track to avoid the emergancy crew coming up from the bottom, and seeing the wrecked car in the wall on his right. at the last second he sees some guy in black run up in front of him, and tries to avoid him.
A few things are unclear here.
1: Is the engine in the video from Tony's car? There are atleast 20 HOT smallblocks on the track running. is the cell phone audio picking up tony's engine all the way on the back straight, or is it a closer engine on the front straight, but was perfect timing at impact?
2: the impact... the cars are light with very little imput on the steering. Tony clipping/hitting him with either the front or rear tire is going to make the car jerk in that direction. Or was it him trying to kick the car with the throttle?
Sprint cars are a strange beast... staggerd rear tires, one wheel brake..etc..

Do I think Tony hit him on purpose? no! Is tony a hot head...yes! But all of Tony old antics and MOST of NASCAR is not on a HOT track...its in the pits!

I think they need to enforce the rules with a heavy hand.
If a person gets out of their car (if) that car is not a threat to life before the safety crew is there ...you are DONE/SUSPENDED for the SEASON!

I am not a fan of Tony...but I am of racing.
and Ward killed himself...Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Road Rage on the track is the same road rage on the highway...if Ward got pissed off at a semitruck and jumped in front of it....same result.

But the media PR spin sure is painting Tony bad...
not a normal " racing accident involving Tony Stewart leaves a local race driver dead ..accident under investigation".
If this accident was the car in front of tony's that killed they guy, it would been a back page story and we woulden't have known it.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
^96IndyRam you hit it on the head.

The press needs to recognize this for what it is: a Darwin award being handed out and sad as it is Tony Stewart is not at fault here.

AJ

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Kowboy said:
This young man, Mr Ward, was doing something that I would call, entirely approved by NASCAR or Racing in general. Just watch some of the NASCAR TV commercials. I'll bet everyone here has seen little Danica walking onto the track and pointing her finger at another competitor. That sort of thing sells tickets. They punish and fine drivers for their on track bad behavior and then make a commercial of the offense. Doesn't make sense to me, but then I'm not selling tickets. I could go on about other events like these, but I'm sure most of us know the deal. Sadly Mr Ward is gone from us and it will take his loss to get NASCAR to take control of these brave young men who want to throw their bodies into the path of race cars. Ward was just doing what he had learned and everyone cheered until now and now we want to put the blame on a driver who probably was the one driver who just couldn't beat the odds. Some say Tony is a hot head, and I would wager that Ward knew that as well. So why would he do what he did? One more thing, NO ONE, knows what Tony saw or was thinking that night. No One! My thoughts only.
I will agree with the "approved by NASCAR" but not by the "racing in general". When I was racing (SCCA and SVRA) ANY contact between two cars was NOT ALLOWED and you, as driver, were subject to suspension or worse. Yes, all of us out on the track knew very well that car-to-car contact was very possible. If you thought it was intentional, you had a right to protest that driver/car. Who is to blame here? NASCAR, period. They were the ones that allowed Cale Yarborough to fight the Allison Brothers during the Daytona 500 in 1979. That sold a lot of tickets to NASCAR races. NASCAR is the one that made "rubbin' is racin'" OK. By the way, it's not OK. If your car isn't prepared well enough to pass someone, running into them (the "chrome horn") isn't the way to get past. The same holds true if your talent level isn't as high as the next guy. Where else do you see a driver get out of their wrecked car and throw their helmet into the windscreen of another race car? That would be Tony Stewart, at Bristol Motor Speedway, getting pissed at Matt Kenseth. It doesn't happen anywhere else. Even Indy Car divers know better. Do they gesture and come off as pissed in an interview? Yep. Do they throw tantrums and run around the track? Nope. Kevin Ward Jr. learned how to act like a douche from people like Tony Stewart. It's ironic that Tony Stewart would be the unfortunate driver to cause Kevin's death (RIP). NASCAR needs to take a close, hard look in the mirror. And, if Tony is the one that needs to be made an example, by suspension/prohibition/criminal charges, I'm OK with that (but I'll bet it never happens).

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They are going to be pretty busy if they start arresting people who set bad examples...

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, what I think is this--Tony Stewart needs to be charged as a criminal. Innocent until proven guilty. And let a trial by jury figure it out. This is a perfect exercise for our judicial system.

Personally, I think Tony purposely got close and hammered the gas to intimidate the youngster. And, unfortunately, the youngster was a bit too aggressive in his behavior and lunged toward Tony's car at exactly the wrong moment.

The part we need a jury for is to decide whether this type of aggressiveness in the case of both parties is criminal activity. This particular sport IS very aggressive and I think what Tony did IS common, but does the fact that in this exact instance someone died make it manslaughter or just bad luck. This can only be decided with a jury. If it is decided with a jury, it will change the sport and make it safer, whatever the outcome. If it is just let go and attributed to an accident, the aggressive actions of drivers toward the aggressive actions of former-drivers-now-pedestrians will not change.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The part we need a jury for is to decide whether this type of aggressiveness in the case of both parties is criminal activity. This particular sport IS very aggressive and I think what Tony did IS common, but does the fact that in this exact instance someone died make it manslaughter or just bad luck. This can only be decided with a jury. If it is decided with a jury, it will change the sport and make it safer, whatever the outcome.
Will, I agree that this would make racing safer, which is exactly why we need to not do it. We need to stop making things safer. In fact, I have recently started advocating a decade long period where we remove all the warning labels from stuff. Let's weed out the morons, like Ward, who would get out of their car on an active race track, feel the need to use the toaster or hair drier in the bath tub, or would actually attempt to stop the chain on a chain saw with their tongue or genitals. These people need to get out of the gene pool.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
...We need to stop making things safer. In fact, I have recently started advocating a decade long period where we remove all the warning labels from stuff. Let's weed out the morons...(who) feel the need to use the toaster or hair drier in the bath tub, or would actually attempt to stop the chain on a chain saw with their tongue or genitals. These people need to get out of the gene pool.
You know, I have to agree. Stupidity should be painful, even lethal sometimes. It's how we learn to walk, to not spend all our money on stupid stuff, and a whole host of other things.

The consequence of falling down sucks, and so we lean to walk without falling down. The consequence of using one's entire paycheck to buy lottery tickets is (usually) poverty. And the consequence for exiting your race car on an active racetrack and walking into the path of a moving vehicle is often death.

Kevin Ward Jr. reminds us all of that stark reality. We can speculate about what he was thinking or about what Tony Stewart's motive was for how he handled his race car. I TRY not to assume the worst about people's motives. At the end of it all, someone did something unwise and unsafe, and that person died.

I wish it didn't happen that way, but there are consequences connected to the decisions we make, regardless of our state of mind at the time we make those decisions. We'd probably all do well to take a minute or two to think about things once in a while. Maybe then we'd spend less time looking for someone to blame for the consequences.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, what I think is this--Tony Stewart needs to be charged as a criminal. Innocent until proven guilty. And let a trial by jury figure it out. This is a perfect exercise for our judicial system.

Personally, I think Tony purposely got close and hammered the gas to intimidate the youngster. And, unfortunately, the youngster was a bit too aggressive in his behavior and lunged toward Tony's car at exactly the wrong moment.

The part we need a jury for is to decide whether this type of aggressiveness in the case of both parties is criminal activity. This particular sport IS very aggressive and I think what Tony did IS common, but does the fact that in this exact instance someone died make it manslaughter or just bad luck. This can only be decided with a jury. If it is decided with a jury, it will change the sport and make it safer, whatever the outcome. If it is just let go and attributed to an accident, the aggressive actions of drivers toward the aggressive actions of former-drivers-now-pedestrians will not change.
The problem with all of this, is that there's no way to prove Stewart's intent. We all know what happened, the videos show it, but the only way to convict Stewart of a crime is to prove he intended to do harm to Ward, and that's pretty much impossible. I think a criminal trial would just be a waste of time and tax payers money.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I applaud Jim's motivation to write out about Kevin ward Jr. was murdered and agree.

Whenever there is temptation to join the crowd that loves to talk about Kevin (which the public is using him as a present to the media) how that he was young, stupid. Darwin winner, wore black outfit, etc. Remember we have an example pointing in the other direction; Tony Stewart !

The fact remains that he is an adult and should be teaching "about racing & life". Again, Jim showed facts in chronological order about the "superstar" having outbursts & temper tantrums. Why Tony was still racing is beyond me-

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I applaud Jim's motivation to write out about Kevin ward Jr. was murdered and agree.

Whenever there is temptation to join the crowd that loves to talk about Kevin (which the public is using him as a present to the media) how that he was young, stupid. Darwin winner, wore black outfit, etc. Remember we have an example pointing in the other direction; Tony Stewart !

The fact remains that he is an adult and should be teaching "about racing & life". Again, Jim showed facts in chronological order about the "superstar" having outbursts & temper tantrums. Why Tony was still racing is beyond me-
Anyone and everyone that has raced in competition throughout history, will get pissed off, and have outbursts and temper tantrums.
(just like road rage when someone cuts you off for no reason)
Most take it to the "pits" after the race, Some do it on pit road..or on the track.
Just Look at Cale Yarborough and Donnie Allison 79 Daytona 500 race.

I am not a Tony Stewart fan...but he did not murder anyone.

Here is a article from a guy that races these cars:

"I offer my thoughts and prayers to the Kevin Ward Jr. family, the Empire Super Sprints Organization and Tony Stewart. I can’t imagine what is going through Tony’s mind, or the sorrow the Ward family is experiencing. I am horrified by the comments I read on the news articles, and I would like to explain this tragedy from a Sprint car owner and driver’s perspective.

When witnessing a sprint car moving around the track prior to a race you will notice the front tires bouncing erratically side to side. The erratic movement is caused by the alignment of the front wheels being nearly parallel to each other (compared to a minimal toe in or toe out on a standard automobile), and the quick ratio of the steering gear to steering wheel movement (allowing a driver to quickly counter steer when traveling sideways around a corner at 100+ miles per hour).
Secondly, trying to harness a 700 horsepower engine at idle is nearly as intense as driving at full speed. These engines are violent in their behaviors and extremely explosive to the smallest “twitch” of the throttle. The throttle is controlled by your foot/ankle movements strapped to a lever directly fastened to the engine. Idle to full throttle is about 4” maximum movement.
Sprint cars are setup to steer right, but turn left. This may be confusing, but the dynamics of a sprint car cause it to be more stable at higher speeds traveling “sideways” around the race track. The engine is directly linked to the rear tires. There is no clutch, no transmission, resulting in no stopping with the engine running and in gear, also resulting in violent movements again when the throttle is twitched. There is only a brake on the left front tire, and the solid rear axle, causing the car to lurch leftward when applying the brake, and requiring a slight steer to the right when moving slowly to keep the car going straight.
While at racing speeds the sprint car’s suspension is under load, the dynamics of the wind on the wing panels, and the rear stagger (difference in diameter of the rear tires) all react with each other in these amazing machines to enable them to be some of the fastest in the Dirt Motorsports Industry, but all these factors also mean that even for someone as experienced as Tony Stewart, the car is going to jump around at low speeds.

When piloting a sprint car during a caution flag speeds here is the typical rundown of a driver:
Grab a tear off (plastic covering over your shield removed when covered with dirt/mud)
Open your shield to cool down and wipe your eyes of dirt.
Move your top wing backward on the chassis for more drive on the restart
Stretch your fingers/hands from gripping the wheel so intensely while at race speed
Double check gauges to verify they are within appropriate operating constraints
Find your spot and the car you should be restarting behind
All while harnessing an erratic, explosive, violently idling engine, usually with one hand!
One of the other difficulties with piloting a sprint car is the extremely limited visibility. When comparing to a Nascar Car, a Dirt Modified, or even your daily driver with an 8 feet wide by 3 feet tall windshield or opening to view out of, a sprint car is limited to an opening of approximately 24 inches by 8 inches.
To multiply the problem is a wing panel to the right that protrudes below your line of sight blocking all vision on the right side of the car, and a nose wing directly in your line of sight in front. Then when factoring in the safety equipment of a full containment seat (supports on both sides of the seat for your helmet), a HANS device (safety device strapping the helmet back to the seat, not allowing a whiplash effect) the driver's field of vision is even further limited.
To better understand the limited visibility I invite you to take a box from a 24 pack of soda. Cut a circle on the side of the box, and open one end. Put your head in the circle and look out the open end of the box. This will simulate the limited visibility of piloting a sprint car.

Now that you understand some of the basics and the difficulties of piloting a sprint car, I want you to revisit the tragic events that played out on Saturday night at Canandaigua Motorsports Park. An angry young driver named Kevin Ward climbed out of his wrecked sprint car and trotted down into oncoming, direct drive, erratic, violent sprint cars, to confront Tony Stewart.
Put yourself in Tony’s vantage point, remembering the checklist of items he was going through: tear off, wing location, stretching hands, wiping eyes, etc, all while following the bumper of the car in front of him harnessing the violent engine lurking to take off, looking through the “24 pk box” field of vision. The track is black and not well lit. Stewart is not expecting someone to be in the middle of the track and sees him at the last moment, jabs the brake causing the front of the car to turn left, and twitches the gas to turn the rear of the car to avoid Mr. Ward. (I'm not certain Stewart accelerated. The motor revving in the video seems much closer to the grandstand where the camera was filming and not across the track where the tragedy occurred.)
No one knows what really happened besides Mr. Ward and Mr. Stewart. I’ve watched YouTube. It was dark. Ward was wearing a black uniform. My opinion is that if Stewart sped up, it was a reflex action, or a result of the throttle being strapped to his foot/ankle causing the engine to rev when he traveled over the helmet of Mr. Ward. Stewart’s eyes caught the approach of someone running toward him, and he tried to get away, but Ward was too close. The right-rear tire caught him.
Our human nature results in us needing to assign blame. I have read on social media and news sights comments such as: “Stewart used his car as a weapon.” “Ward should have known who he was dealing with.” “Nascar Driver Tony Stewart Strikes and Kills opponent with sprint car after argument.” “Stewart is a murderer.” “Stewart to jail,” etc, etc. All of which are completely belligerent and uncalled for.
Trying to place blame only makes the situation worse. A young man is dead, and a veteran racer will live with this pain for the rest of his life. I compare this incident to a tragedy a couple years ago in Western Wisconsin. A man pulled over on the side of the Interstate, exited his car, and jumped in front of a semi. Obviously, the man who jumped in front of the truck is “to blame” for that instance, and the tragedy that took place on the race track on Saturday night is no different.
Ward chose to exit his race car, and would still be alive if he had stayed in his vehicle, but that is the only blame we can assign. Trying to figure out exactly who is to blame past that point is indeterminable. It was an accident with two people’s reactions at play, and the outcome was unfortunately deadly for one.
If there is a lesson to be learned, or a positive outcome from this horrible accident, I hope dirt tracks speak of this at their driver’s meetings prior to racing events. I hope nationally broadcasted racing will stop sensationalizing the fact that exiting your race car and throwing your helmet is acceptable. I hope that in the heat of the moment of competition competitors stop and think it is only a race, only a football game, and there will be another week to come back and prove yourself to be better than your competition. Live life to your utmost ability, but remember it is precious and sometimes too short as we were reminded of last Saturday night.

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
NASCAR FORMALIZES ON-TRACK INCIDENT PROCEDURE
August 15, 2014, , NASCAR news release

Rule enhances sport's ongoing safety efforts
RELATED: Pemberton announces on-track incident rules
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- In its continued efforts to evolve the safety of its sport, NASCAR announced Friday that it will add a rule that addresses on-track incidents as part of its race procedures. The rule, listed as Section 9-16, will be an addendum to the NASCAR rule book and will apply to all of its racing series, effective immediately.

FULL SERIES COVERAGE
• Latest news
• Standings
• Schedule
Section 9-16 On-Track Incident Procedure
During an Event, if a racecar is involved in an on track incident and/or is stopped on or near the racing surface and unable to continue to make forward progress, unless extenuating emergency conditions exist with the racecar (i.e. fire, smoke in cockpit, etc.) the driver should take the following steps:
• Shut off electrical power and, if driver is uninjured, lower window net
• Do not loosen , disconnect or remove any driver personal safety equipment until directed to do so by safety personnel or a NASCAR/Track Official
• After being directed to exit the racecar, the driver should proceed to either the ambulance, other vehicle, or as otherwise directed by safety personnel or a NASCAR/Track Official
At no time should a driver or crew member(s) approach any portion of the racing surface or apron
• At no time should a driver or crew member(s) approach another moving vehicle

All vehicles not involved in the incident or that are able to continue afterwards should slow down to a cautious speed as outlined in Section 10-4 (Yellow Flag), use extreme care as they approach an incident scene, and follow any directions given by safety personnel or NASCAR/Track Officials. Cars in line behind the safety car should not weave or otherwise stray from the line in the vicinity of the incident.
Robin Pemberton, NASCAR vice president of competition and racing development, says the rule is "part of the evolution of NASCAR’s rules and regulations."
"Throughout the history of our sport, NASCAR has reviewed and analyzed situations and occurrences that take place not just in NASCAR racing but also throughout all motorsports and other sports," said Pemberton. "When we believe we can do something to make our sport safer and better for the competitors and others involved in the competition environment, we react quickly. Safety always has been priority number one at NASCAR."
As with other behavioral infractions, NASCAR will handle each instance separately when assessing potential penalties.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals