• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Lone Ranger – Kage’s ’94 X-Cab Leaf SAS and Bed Bob

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Chaining down the motor

Since I was having a little bit of trouble keeping the drivers side motor mount together (I think I have that resolved at this point). There was a need for a little more insurance in making sure the motor stays put.

Not an original idea as I’ve seen a few other do this, hopefully it works out as well for me.

For my year 4.0, ford put this cute little shock here to dampen motor vibes:

Out came the cutting wheel, and on went a chain in its place:

I put some tension on the chain prior to welding it. I also welded the link to the plate that shock mounted to. This was done in hopes that if/when I need to pull the chain off, I can just unbolt the plate.

Update Edit 7/3/11:
I've had to swap out motor mounts, it worked out great to be able to unbolt the chain to get the lift I need. I think that mount that I'm using (on the motor side) Might be bending a bit though. I'll keep an eye on it and update again after another wheeling trip.

Update 8/1/11:
Well I got another run with this setup. I'm still going to keep the chain around as I haven't gotten a motor mount setup that works that well yet. No ill effects have been noticed by using that mount as a chain support.

Last edited:

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
Why does it allways seem like I'm scrambling around down to the last minute before a wheeling trip? :icon_rofl:
thats the same as me... it seems the truck is never ready... last time it bit me in the ass big time. and now im rushing to get the truck rebuilt so it can go to the local mudbog that dad sponsors

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
truck looks great buddy!!

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
truck looks great buddy!!
Well its looking a little less good :icon_twisted: I just rolled back in from going down to SMORR this weekend for SIJA's Jeep Jam (and yes, I was the lone Ranger there:icon_rofl:)

Second trail we ran Friday I did this (Still don't konw what I hit on):

Then the next day, the Drivers side got chewed on by the tire (Looks Like I need to tweak those bump stops a little more :icon_twisted:):

As a whole, I'm not dissapointed in the trucks first shake down run. That's not to say that there isn't a few issues to take care of (besides poping the bed back out some).

The quick fix list is:
-That rear LSD isn't doing squat, it needs to get gone/welded
-I need to get those Ruff Stuff motor mounts on the truck as the stock motor mounts are done for which tweaked the exhaust causing the manifolds to leak :annoyed:
-I need to grease one of the CTM joints up front (It was squeaking a bit)
-Front tires need to get swapped with something that has a bit more tread, though they did very well for as bald as they are.
-The rear is waaaay to damn soft. I don't know if I managed to find a set of chevy leafs that were extra 'broke in' or what, but I need to stick another leaf in ther to firm it up some (the front is perfect, I'm not going to touch it).

All and all, it was awesome to jam down the road with the A/C blasting, wheel the poo out of it (with the A/C on mind ya :D). Load up, and jam all the way home without an issue. Its been a long dang time since I've been able to do that.

I'll post up some more stuff when I get the rest of the photos and things up.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i reckon it's time for a dovetail bed!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
need action pics man.. come on!!!

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
looks more like you need to move that exo cage up on the to do list

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't move the rear bumpstops.....ya need to cut out the factory flares....

I tore up my flares with just 32" tires......

l8r, John

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks more like you need to move that exo cage up on the to do list
Oh its up there, I picked up the bender last night on my way home from SMORR :icon_twisted: So I should start bending tube in the next few days here. For sure, it'll have a complete cage on it before I take it out again.

I wouldn't move the rear bumpstops.....ya need to cut out the factory flares....

I tore up my flares with just 32" tires......

l8r, John
I'll probably wind up doing a bit of both. The rear doesn't really rub that much, just enough to grab things and make a mess back there. I'm trying to keep as much of the flares as I can since I'm kinda going for the 'stock' look :icon_rofl:

Thanks to whoever put up my truck as the Featured Member Truck Build :icon_thumby:
I'm waiting for a few more photos to get posted up from this weekend, after which I'll post them over here.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions guys!

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep, I used to tear up my stock flares too. I kept a little box of those plastic push tabs in my truck so I could reattach it when I'd rip it off. I wanted to keep the stock look for a long time too, and still do to a certain extent, but I think you're gonna go down a similar road I did and end up takin em off.

They would be MUTILATED if they were still on my truck.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I actually started reading this thread while drving through st louis on my way home from Chicago to Memphis Bad A$$ build man makes me want to start chopping my 2wd haha Good Luck!

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep, I used to tear up my stock flares too. I kept a little box of those plastic push tabs in my truck so I could reattach it when I'd rip it off. I wanted to keep the stock look for a long time too, and still do to a certain extent, but I think you're gonna go down a similar road I did and end up takin em off.

They would be MUTILATED if they were still on my truck.
I got a good chunk of the sheet metal bent back tonight. I'm still trying to tell myself that I"m going to keep the flares as they are. However, the little voice in the back of my head is telling me that I need to start cutting.

I still plan on keeping as much of the flare as I can, but I think some more cutting is going to take place in the future.

I actually started reading this thread while drving through st louis on my way home from Chicago to Memphis Bad A$$ build man makes me want to start chopping my 2wd haha Good Luck!
Thanks!

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what are flares?

:thefinger: looks good,oh and......

cut that shit!

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
gotta agree with slo vo here... cut!!! then maybe take then stock flare cut it to match and a heat gun and bend a new 90 degree lip into it.. that way it'd look like a regular flare but skinnier (tall wise not width)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals