• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help me design a cage for my B2

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have been toying with the idea of building an exocage for my B2 for a while, and now I have some free time and some extra cash I think its time to do it. I have never built or designed a cage before, but I'v been doing my research and I think I understand the basics.

Here are a few designs I came up with.

This was the inspiration for the one above, I bring the suck when it comes to drawing so just imagine thats how that cage looks. Also I think I would get rid of some.....a lot of sheet metal if I built this one.

Thoughts?

-Jester

Last edited:

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
not really an exo guy but that jeep cage looks pretty stout to me

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i like the 2nd and 3rd with a bars added in

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I liked the 1st one with some more bars in back. Remove the doors and have some tube ones.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
i like the 3rd one down and the one like the xj

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2nd one with some extra diagonals

AaronC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Exos have design flaws all of there own.

A traditional cage will allow you have proper triangulation. You will lose torsional strength with an exo. Keep this in mind.

*Never have a dead tube junction. (running a tube into the side of another tube without a tube to pick up the load behind it).

*Triangulate from frame tie in to the furthest point on the other side of the vehicle. Don't go overboard.

*Tie into the frame properly. I would place upright ribs inside the frame rail and box the open side. Then place overlay plates over the frame material. Then I will land the tube on the corner of the frame rail and plate the tube in.

*Find ways to tie in high load areas. Make sure your shocks, bump stop points, suspension pivot points and tied into your cage in a manner in which will disperse the load's throughout the cage.

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual

A traditional cage will allow you have proper triangulation. You will lose torsional strength with an exo. Keep this in mind.

*Triangulate from frame tie in to the furthest point on the other side of the vehicle. Don't go overboard.

*Find ways to tie in high load areas. Make sure your shocks, bump stop points, suspension pivot points and tied into your cage in a manner in which will disperse the load's throughout the cage.
Can you please elaborate.

-Jester

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I couldnt stand up for a while after seeing that xj lol. boinngggg jk. I always wanted to build a 2 door xj and that is probably the sexiest design I have seen. Keep in mind its not the safest or strongest design, I just like it.

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual

*Never have a dead tube junction. (running a tube into the side of another tube without a tube to pick up the load behind it).

*Tie into the frame properly. I would place upright ribs inside the frame rail and box the open side. Then place overlay plates over the frame material. Then I will land the tube on the corner of the frame rail and plate the tube in.

really well put together.

i'm planning on going with a small exo cage as well. but like Aaron said, because its an exo cage, you can't do much for support from drivers to passengers side, the only bars that do that are on the top of the truck and don't have and vertical built into them, unless your top is chopped and you pull it into the bed. this pic is my motivation for the small cage i want around my cab, then tied into the frame through the bed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals