• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I have a Lincoln Welder that was given to me. Any info on it?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I have a Lincoln Arc Welder 225, the code number says 7533-908 on the face plate. This was given to me about 3 years ago, and it's just been sitting. Is there any way to tell how old it is? I don't know what to buy for welding rod, or anything. I don't know much about arc welding, so any info that someone may have would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Shane

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Is it a decent welder?

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
>>>>

It's good for heavier metals, like for frames & such, but if your lookin to do mild steel, then you'll need a mig.

That particular stick welder goes for around $225 NEW and I've seen em used for $50-$100.............

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is it a decent welder?
This is an open question....it completely depends on what you're going to use it for, or what you want to use it for. It also depends on what shape the machine is in. I think that if I was in the market for a stick welder, I would look at one of these machines, but I'm biased to the blue colored welders myself.

Stick (or arc or SMAW) is a relatively hot weld. It is a versatile form of welding, and when done properly...can produce some very strong welds. You can get different types of rods for different types of metal. Usually alot of cleanup after welding is needed, but this form can be used in almost any condition (inside, outside, windy, and even underwater).

I personally prefer MIG (GMAW) welders. They're fairly easy to learn on, and can produce some very strong welds as well in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. MIG can be used in various conditions as well, but in windy conditions a flux cored wire is recommended as the shielding gas gets blown away. I have a Millermatic 211 running .035 wire with a 75/25 C02/Argon shielding gas. I really like this setup, and is what I'm using to build numerous projects including a solid axle swap.

If I had the money, I'd love to have a TIG setup in my garage....but that will have to wait for a while. TIG has the most control over the various forms of welding, and can be used for anything from very thin-to fiarly thick metals. It can also be used to weld specialty metals such as titanium, inconel, stainless, aluminum, etc. It usually used in controlled situations, ie...little wind flow to keep the shielding gases flowing properly.

Check out http://www.weldingweb.com for a ton of info and great resources. Seriously though, if you want to learn welding...take a course on it. I'm sure that there are beginner courses that give an introduction to welding around you, usually a community college or specialty school.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
no, that's a POS, better just give it to me instead

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
This is an open question....it completely depends on what you're going to use it for, or what you want to use it for. It also depends on what shape the machine is in. I think that if I was in the market for a stick welder, I would look at one of these machines, but I'm biased to the blue colored welders myself.

Stick (or arc or SMAW) is a relatively hot weld. It is a versatile form of welding, and when done properly...can produce some very strong welds. You can get different types of rods for different types of metal. Usually alot of cleanup after welding is needed, but this form can be used in almost any condition (inside, outside, windy, and even underwater).

I personally prefer MIG (GMAW) welders. They're fairly easy to learn on, and can produce some very strong welds as well in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. MIG can be used in various conditions as well, but in windy conditions a flux cored wire is recommended as the shielding gas gets blown away. I have a Millermatic 211 running .035 wire with a 75/25 C02/Argon shielding gas. I really like this setup, and is what I'm using to build numerous projects including a solid axle swap.

If I had the money, I'd love to have a TIG setup in my garage....but that will have to wait for a while. TIG has the most control over the various forms of welding, and can be used for anything from very thin-to fiarly thick metals. It can also be used to weld specialty metals such as titanium, inconel, stainless, aluminum, etc. It usually used in controlled situations, ie...little wind flow to keep the shielding gases flowing properly.

Check out http://www.weldingweb.com for a ton of info and great resources. Seriously though, if you want to learn welding...take a course on it. I'm sure that there are beginner courses that give an introduction to welding around you, usually a community college or specialty school.
I actually just bought a MIG. I got some flack for buying a Harbor Freight unit, but that's OK. It's just to learn on. If I want to get serious, I'll step it up to a Lincoln or Miller. And if I build anything where the welds are crucial, I'll use my Dad's Lincoln MIG. My Dad's MIG has gas hook up's IIRC.

I definitely want to monkey around with this stick welder though and see if it's my gig. If not, I might look into trading it for selling it on the local classifieds and get into a better MIG.

I'll look into taking a class.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
i have one my self. they sell new at lowes for around 230. id start out with some 6013 rods and see how it does. thats just what i was told i got mine used for 75 came with helmet and some rods.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
mazda
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
it's a good unit to learn to stick weld (SMAW) with and relatively inexpensive... I'm a plumber and i do a little welding in the field... thats the unit i usually end up using... Most of the time the only rod i have around is 6018, or 7010... i like 7010 alot more, cleaner welds and so much easier to weld with... i say keep and try it out a bit... see if you like it and if you're able to get comfortable with it...

94xcab4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
RIP 94
Make / Model
chevy cc 4x4 15
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is it an ac or dc machine? I would pick up some 7018 for what ever kind of machine it is 7018 is a good all around rod to use.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Get some 6011 3/32 start at 60 amps and go from there.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
ive been using mine alot with some 6011 1/8 rods and it seems to weld 1/4'' good on 135 its a great welder once u get used to it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals