• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Body on F-series Chassis???

bigredrangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Stock 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I picked up an 87 std. cab, long bed 4x4 with manual tranny and 2.9L (mint. Body). I want to swap in a 351W, 460, or...7.3L Diesel with a manual tranny/t-case and axles from an F-350 (basically the entire rolling chassis). Has anyone tried swapping a ranger body onto a full size chassis??? If so what was all involved? I am assuming new body mounts inboard of the F-350 frame rails would be necessary, frame shortening along with new drive shafts and steering modifications. I am figuring on purchasing a complete donor F-350 with a trashed body and good running gear to complete the swap. Ideally I would also use all of the F-350 wiring. Thanks in advance for your input.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone tried swapping a ranger body onto a full size chassis???.
not a ranger but a broncoII. and
not a ford chassis but a chevy
http://broncoii.org/forum/index.php?topic=9152.0

but a ford full width chassis is just as different from an rbv as a chev chassis is.

i shortened the frame, built my mounts (which didn't need to be "inboard" just closer to the frame), cut a hole in the floor to let the shifters through, i made a steering shaft with 2 u-joints to combat the box being in a different place, adapted the throttle cable, and welded brackets to the body to hold the radiator from the full-size.

that was about all it took
here is the frame before i set the body on to it a year and a half ago(see the mouts i built):

Last edited:

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i saw a ranger once that was on an old f100 chassis

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
Its been done quite a few times I've seen on here with full size broncos and f 150s it works fairly well just measure where you want your fenderwells to be over the wheels. In an ideal world you will get lucky and the tires match up them you just make your body mounts and deal with whatever frame sticks out front and back at least that's how I've sen people do it. I cannot remember the name of the guy now but he's on here with a 2nd gen ranger on a f150 frame 460 big block and 42" cut boggers

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
me would tihnks that a short/short f-150 would have close to the same wheel base as a supercab long box ranger... if the ranger wasn't longer than the f-150...

the 350's shouldn't be much different, length wise, than the 150, and worst case senario, if you took a super cab long box ranger, you can always shorten the box if that body is too long...

i think it would be a wicked project, just PLEASE!!!! don't do what some of the guys on here do, and that's when you do your build thread for an epic build like this, don't start on it, get us all interested and wait 6 months before doing more, because that's like foreplay and blueballs... if you're going to do it, get-er dun as fast as possible for our sake (and yours i suppose too)

rangerdestroyer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ya im thinking of doing that kinda build to. i got an 1988 F150 2wd converted to 4x4 long box reg cab, im going to be putting a 1984 ranger ext. cab short box on the frame????? its going to be a fun build

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals