• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The tailgate coffee table project

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I'm going to try and make a matching coffee table and couch using the bench seat from a 1999+ superduty and the tailgate from a 1st or 2nd gen Ranger. For now I'm just throwing some ideas out here so I can get feedback from you guys. I'll start gathering materials this weekend.

So to start with, the bench seat is going to be kept pretty much the same. I'm going to try build a base so it sits flat, and then paint it black with vinyl paint and put a big white Ford logo in the center of it.

For the coffee table, I'm hoping to find a 1st or 2nd gen tailgate because they're flatter than the 3rd gens, and they have that badass silver accent piece on them. I'm hopefully going to paint it flat black except the accent piece, of course. I want to mount it logo-side-up on a pair of these.

They're pretty much the exact width as the tailgate, and I'll have one at either side facing out so I'll have some extra storage and I think it'll be cooler than just a wooden or metal frame holding the tailgate up. Now those toolboxes have a cam-lock system that locks the drawers closed when the lid is closed, so I'll have to find a way to defeat that. I think a few self tapping screws through the lid into the tailgate should secure it well enough.

What do you guys think?

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Interesting idea. Awaiting pics.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll post some up as soon as I get materials. Hopefully I can get started this weekend, I don't know what's going to be open though since Saturday is new years day. I'll at least pick up the toolboxes and find a way to defeat the camlock.

Anybody within 75 miles of Delaware have a 1st or 2nd gen Tailgate they'd like to get rid of?

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update: Just got off the phone with a guy selling an 88 tailgate.

Gonna pick it up Sunday. Got a small dent so I suppose I'll get to learn a little bit about body work. So is that accent piece bolted on or glued on?

I'm starting to think that instead of a big ford logo on the couch, maybe this would look better.

It's one of our 38" Windshield banners.

Last edited:

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think it has plastic pins in it. My buddy replaced his. Don't ask me how to though.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
So I'm going to try and make a matching coffee table and couch using the bench seat from a 1999+ superduty and the tailgate from a 1st or 2nd gen Ranger. For now I'm just throwing some ideas out here so I can get feedback from you guys. I'll start gathering materials this weekend.

So to start with, the bench seat is going to be kept pretty much the same. I'm going to try build a base so it sits flat, and then paint it black with vinyl paint and put a big white Ford logo in the center of it.

For the coffee table, I'm hoping to find a 1st or 2nd gen tailgate because they're flatter than the 3rd gens, and they have that badass silver accent piece on them. I'm hopefully going to paint it flat black except the accent piece, of course. I want to mount it logo-side-up on a pair of these.

They're pretty much the exact width as the tailgate, and I'll have one at either side facing out so I'll have some extra storage and I think it'll be cooler than just a wooden or metal frame holding the tailgate up. Now those toolboxes have a cam-lock system that locks the drawers closed when the lid is closed, so I'll have to find a way to defeat that. I think a few self tapping screws through the lid into the tailgate should secure it well enough.

What do you guys think?
Holy crap, I'm subscribing. Gotta watch this. Sounds like a sweet project Topher.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
So awesome. Post lots of pics, this is rad!

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. This is my first build thread so hopefully it won't be too boring. I'll make sure to point out all the stupid s*#$ I do so at least you know not to repeat it. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
The trim piece is held on from the back side by about a dozen T15 or T20 screws. Once you take it off youll see the ford letters stamped into the tailgate. Im looking forward to seeing pics this sounds cool!

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The trim piece is held on from the back side by about a dozen T15 or T20 screws. Once you take it off youll see the ford letters stamped into the tailgate. Im looking forward to seeing pics this sounds cool!
Thanks!

I may end up keeping it with the Ford letters...we'll see how it looks.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I may end up keeping it with the Ford letters...we'll see how it looks.
you won't be able to do that with that gate....once you take the trim piece off,there'll be a dozen large holes where the clips for the trim go through.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I decide to go that route why couldn't I just patch the holes? I have to fix the one dent and paint it black anyway.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I decide to go that route why couldn't I just patch the holes? I have to fix the one dent and paint it black anyway.
if you wanted to go that route,you'd be better off to start with a gate without the trim panel.it's the sort of thing i would find challenging to do a decent job of,and i've got a bit of experience with that sort of thing.

the dent is easy.

i'd keep the panel....it gives a flatter surface to set your drink on.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That was the original plan, but now he's got me thinking how pretty the letters will look.

The only way to find out: Do a test run. I'll get drunk and see how many beers I spill with the panel on vs the panel off. Vodka is too precious to spill.

Besides, the point of this project is to learn.

How am I gonna do that if I go the easy route on everything? :dunno:

I also need suggestions for the handle. I'm trying to decide if I should just leave it, smooth it out, or maybe expand it into a vodka-bottle holding recess. Maybe mount a light there. The possibilities are endless!

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think it was the more base trucks that came without the trim panel.

On a truck I prefer not to have the panel, for a coffee table I think I would rather have it for the before mentioned flatter surface.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals