• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

i really need to get this fixed soon, any knowledgable people please help?

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, here goes the story again. i was out wheeling in the snow. broke driver front axleshaft. i have a welded diff so i had 3 wheel drive. the hill i was trying to get up was approx. 1/8 mile long. i hit it in 4low 4 gear, only cuz i needed the low gears to get some speed up cuz the hill was mostly ice. im spinning the 3 tires at about 4700rpms. i get to the top, and shut off my ignition. the engine tries to stay alive, then all the sudden the rpms jump to way over the limit on the tach. it was soo high it started sounding like a little diesel. then after 2 seconds, smoke starting coming out from under my hood. i opened the hood, and ripped the positive cable off the terminale. then it shut down....this all happened in about 10 seconds from after i shutoff the ignition. now everytime i start it, it idles at about 3000. sooo after talking to a few people on trs, they came to the conclusion that it sounds like a vacuum leak. i pulled all the vacuum hoses, and the plastic intake off along with the throttle body. it was all pretty gummed up inside there so i cleaned it all with brake cleaner. i got some rtv red high temp silicon and made sure everything had a good seal. waited a while, then started it up. dropped the rpms by about 500. now its at 2500. so today i took it to my mechanic, there wasnt a code, but the engine check light didnt come on when you turn the ignition on like its supposed to. sooo he said i might have a bad computer, and that i might have gotten it wet. anyother info that anyone else has would be greatly appreciated. i really dont know what to do, its my dd rightnow, and im short on work. so whatever i can do to it myself im going to....

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
a few ideas.

check your vaccum/timing advance system.

check your throttle cable for sticking along with and intake leak. i was told to spray down the intake with starting fluid or brake fluid to check for leaks in the intake. if the gasket is significantly blown out it will be sucking in air and allowing the motor to rev higher than it should.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals