• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

son of a bishop -- seized compressor

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, my compressor died on the highway in the middle of nowhere yesterday. I noticed a burning smell (though, remarkably, astonishingly little noise -- just a very subtle rubbing sound). So I pulled over, and saw acrid black smoke coming from under the hood. Turned off the A/C and it stopped.

The compressor hub was completely seized, and the belt was slipping. So, I need a compressor, maybe a condenser (Ford black death), massive flush, drier, orifice tube, and of course a serpentine belt. Is it necessary to replace the compressor lines due to the integral filter? I'd think so.

I use A/C almost continuously all year to dessicate the air. Now, the compressor is unplugged so I can use the now-emasculated defogger (it's better than nothing).

I'm a bit stunned that that slipping serpentine belt didn't squeal like a stuck pig. I wouldn't have known there was a problem except for the smell. At least the belt didn't break; not having a water pump more than 25 miles from the nearest town would have been a bit of a problem.

This is the 4.0L Exploder.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
aside from the expense for parts,we know you can do the work.never happens in the driveway does it?ouch.good luck and happy wrenching.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Are you looking to pick up a used compressor or new? Got a good, but used one off a 2.3 Ranger. I'd think they were the same as one for a 4.0. Let me know. Thanks

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, my compressor died on the highway in the middle of nowhere yesterday. I noticed a burning smell (though, remarkably, astonishingly little noise -- just a very subtle rubbing sound). So I pulled over, and saw acrid black smoke coming from under the hood. Turned off the A/C and it stopped.

The compressor hub was completely seized, and the belt was slipping. So, I need a compressor, maybe a condenser (Ford black death), massive flush, drier, orifice tube, and of course a serpentine belt. Is it necessary to replace the compressor lines due to the integral filter? I'd think so.

I use A/C almost continuously all year to dessicate the air. Now, the compressor is unplugged so I can use the now-emasculated defogger (it's better than nothing).

I'm a bit stunned that that slipping serpentine belt didn't squeal like a stuck pig. I wouldn't have known there was a problem except for the smell. At least the belt didn't break; not having a water pump more than 25 miles from the nearest town would have been a bit of a problem.

This is the 4.0L Exploder.
i recommend reading the sticky by some guy named makg,might help you out.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Are you looking to pick up a used compressor or new? Got a good, but used one off a 2.3 Ranger. I'd think they were the same as one for a 4.0. Let me know. Thanks
It looks like the store I bought it from is going to warranty it.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The compressor siezed on my F150 about 3 years ago. It was working when I stopped the truck, and when I turned it back on again, it wouldn't turn. I replaced the compressor only, and it has worked fine since. A/c tech said black death usually gives other symptoms over a period of time. shady

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have to admit, this is why I buy parts from these guys.

It's in (ready for pickup), and they DID warranty it. I'm going to have a shop recover the remaining refrigerant and flush it. The jury is still out on whether I need a condenser or compressor lines; we'll see what the flush comes out with.

It appears the repair will be less than $100 for the flush (labor and flush fluid), and parts will be around $60, counting the refrigerant. As usual, replacing the accumulator/drier, and orifice tube. I have all the equipment to charge R-134a, and I'm perfectly willing to let the vacuum pump suck for hours.

Shady, what other symptoms?

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Intermittent cooling. Slowly loses the ability to cool similar to a loss of refrigerant. Evaporator freezing were a few he mentioned. shady

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, I've been running the defogger, so I doubt I'd notice intermittent cooling. The defogger seems a LITTLE worse than it used to be, but that's really easy to fool oneself with. And those symptoms sound like a plugged orifice tube. If that's what's going on, pulling the orifice tube ought to make it really obvious, right?

The static (engine off) low side pressure is just under 40 PSI. This thing is fully charged. Since the compressor is seized, I can't measure it running like I'm supposed to.

It's going to be flushed Friday; I'll ask for the orifice tube and whatever goop comes out with it in a baggie.

The A/C tech says they can "usually" flush parallel-flow condensers like the aftermarket one I have. I find that a bit hard to believe. Does your A/C tech concur? Thanks a bunch.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have to admit, this is why I buy parts from these guys.

It's in (ready for pickup), and they DID warranty it. I'm going to have a shop recover the remaining refrigerant and flush it. The jury is still out on whether I need a condenser or compressor lines; we'll see what the flush comes out with.

It appears the repair will be less than $100 for the flush (labor and flush fluid), and parts will be around $60, counting the refrigerant. As usual, replacing the accumulator/drier, and orifice tube. I have all the equipment to charge R-134a, and I'm perfectly willing to let the vacuum pump suck for hours.

if you have a thermister micron guage and the time,let the vacuum pump pull on it overnight.shoot for 100 microns or lower.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My gauge isn't nearly that good -- it's just the vacuum side of my manifold gauge set, and I'm lucky to read down to 0.5 inches. But I do have the time, as long as the weather is decent.

The vacuum pump is a dinky converted R-12 Robinair, but it serves. Got it used for $30....

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
your vacuum pump should be ok,vehicles are small systems.micron gauge is a separate device w/hose that attaches to another available port and reads in microns.i pressure test w/dry nitrogen and soap bubbles for system tightness then blow nitrogen if ok,evacuate w/the pump.i let the pump pull for 15 minutes,then break the vacuum w/nitrogen to 0 psi,vacuum for 15 min,break w/nitrogen to 0 again,then let the pump run all nite.used to break w/refrigerant but it is illegal now.helps clear any pockets of air or non condensibles.micron guages range from about $100 to bend over,and are nice to have but your not dealing w/a $100,000 water chiller there.anyway good luck.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ps,change vacuum pump oil after each use.meaning when you complete the job,before you put the pump away.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals