• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Am I throwing money away with an alignment??

mr_speed77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just put 31's on and went for alignment and they couldn't align it they needed these things to adjust the wheel more for extra $75. If i go off roading am i going to kill my alignment?

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If your going to drive it on the road, spend the money and get it done. If it's going to be off road only you don't really have to worry about it as much. Dirt is forgiving on tires, asphalt isn't. As to your question, will off road kill your alignment, it's already out of alignment. It's all about the tires.

That's just my opinion I could be wrong ( but I'm not )
Jay

mr_speed77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
it's already out of alignment. It's all about the tires.
Whats this mean? Im getting it aligned as we speak. Its going to be mainly road and some off road. Whats all about the tires?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Whats this mean? Im getting it aligned as we speak. Its going to be mainly road and some off road. Whats all about the tires?
If it is only offroad the only thing it will hurt is your tires.

As long as you don't hit anything really hard or jump it your alignment should stay fine.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
It depends on how many degrees it is out. I assume since you installed bigger tires you also recently upgraded to leveling springs. More than likely, the bushings that were installed at the factory have little to no adjustment in them. You can save some $ by going to your local autoparts (advance, autozone, napa) yourself and getting adjustable camber bushings that have the adjustment range needed for your vehicle. I highly recommend getting the 2 piece dual adjustable bushings from napa, or ingalls. This way you never have to buy new bushings again as they have plenty of adjustment. You can find more info on these by using the search function...

If your truck never sees asphalt, then you can install them yourself and just eye it up to get it close. But personally, I would spend the $40 to get it done right.

Also, most shops cant align a ttb to save their @$$. Find a shop that knows how and become good friends with the alignment tech. If your anything like me (constantly upgrading), you'll be back many times.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes you WILL change the alignment by hard offroading. Specifically, you'll sag the front springs. This gives you negative camber. It's probably what's being fixed now (though you REALLY should be sure the balljoints, wheel bearings, and tie rod ends are all good first). However, it will take a while, and the usual 6 month alignments ought to be completely adequate, unless you're jumping the vehicle.

Most RBVs will tolerate 31s without lifting the suspension or the body. But a brand new set of good 31s is expensive enough that it's very much worth the extra money to align it right. Incorrect camber will chew up one edge of the tire, shortening its life (possibly substantially). It will also make the vehicle "pull" to one side (as will caster) on pavement.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
GOOD quality springs should not sag out from offroading (Skyjacker coils seem to hold their height extremely well, as well as the OE springs also).

Is your truck lifted? And if so, how much, and what drop pitman arm (or steering linkage) you have on it? These factors (specifically, your steering linkage geometry) will make some difference on whether you're pissing away the money on alignments or not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals