• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Triple core radiator ??

RockyRoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Greetings to all and Happy Holidays -Having a few days of here for the holidays I have a "to do list " to tackle on my truck - during the past few weeks I've been slowly been tackling a heating issue that arisen, it started with a bad water pump which seized up ,and was a bear to replace -after the water pump was installed she was inconsistent (temp wise) according to the gauge - the thermostat and fan clutch were replaced- with very little success, gauge runs 3/4 on the express way and runs high to low in the city (erratic) Finally I put my hand on the radiator and noticed the bottom of the radiator and the bottom was very cold and the top extremely hot- so now I'm thinking that I have to replace the radiator, My point being here, I could have sworn that the previous owner had said it had a triple core radiator - but yet I don't seem to be able to find one. I have a 93 ranger w/manual trans and 4.0- after this long winded post - What I'm asking for is advise on a good radiator and some direction. Thank you in advance for any help that you might give -- be well and thanks again

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i dont think there ever was a 3 row. the single row was for a manual trans and the double row was for an auto trans. you can swap in the auto radiator (i would) just make sure you get hoses to make it fit. if the radiator is hot on the top and cold on the bottom, it is most likely plugged like you said, but you are making all your decisions based on a stock (junk) gauge. its worth the money to add an after market gauge so you can be confident with the readings.

RockyRoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ty for posting ur reply's they match exactly what I was looking for- Im heading for the 2 row your comments are matching what Im seeing on the net - not ever making one is why Im not finding one-- I tried to take the gauges out of play by placing my hand on the radiator and going for the actual feel, thats what has me heading towards replacing the radiator in a last ditch effort to regain a constant running temperature. Your comments helped alot tyvm and have great day!

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If it had a 1row and you're putting a 2row in, you'll also need a fan shroud (from the junkyard) and probably both radiator hoses (new).

The auto transmission fans are also not the same (one more blade), nor are the fan clutches.

codered1300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, just out of curiousity did you put the thermostat in backwards? Or could there be air in the system? Just my $.02. Not slamming you or anything like that, put where all human, i just wouldn't want you buying a radiator if not needed. Hope this might help.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If the radiator was warm on top and cold on the bottom, it's plugged on the bottom. Temperature gradients should be left to right, 'cause that's how the tanks are arranged.

Now, he could try to backflush it, but odds are it's just going to need replacement anyway.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If it had a 1row and you're putting a 2row in, you'll also need a fan shroud (from the junkyard) and probably both radiator hoses (new).

The auto transmission fans are also not the same (one more blade), nor are the fan clutches.
thats for that extra info, all things i didnt know....

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
FYI, you can use the manual transmission fan and clutch with the auto transmission radiator just fine. It's an additional (IMO unnecessary) upgrade if you really need to go there, or if you're replacing a damaged fan and/or clutch anyway.

Note that if your cooling system is having trouble at all speeds, the fan is not the issue, and upgrading it will not cure the problem. Similarly, if you aren't having trouble at idle, you won't get any benefit.

RockyRoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Update on heating situation, radiator was replaced today , since it was warmer
outside, a 2 row was installed - the older one had some pretty bad residue in it,
so it seemed like I was on the right path . NO LUCK ! The heat seems alot better
but the temp gauge still is very erratic (spiking to the hot end ) not very
consistent at all. There seems to be no performance issues - which is exactly
what I'm triing to stay away from, now all that is left or so it seems is the
temperature sensor, this will be tomorrows chore, Ive never been in this area
before - could anyone give me directions on replacing it. again Im running a 93
ranger 4.0 w/manual trans - things that have been replaced so far -water pump -
thermostat - fan clutch - radiator - all brand new - and replaced with in a week of
each other, the original prob was a bad water pump - head gasket is fine - runs
nice -Just temp gauge shows hot cold up and down. ty again for ur replys, there
very helpful

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure you got all the air out? Does the upper rad hose pressurize?

Also, assuming new = good can get you in quite a lot of trouble.

4.0Ls can be difficult to bleed all the air out of, due to the upper hose routing. Route it as low as you can. A sign of air in the cooling system is a distinct erratic knocking sound after a fully warmed vehicle is turned off.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals