• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Back in the Ranger game

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So yesterday I plunked down $600 on an 85 reg cab 4x4 as a replacement for my 84 reg cab 4x2.
2.8 feels strong, needs some carb work, a valve adjustment, and a few oil seals. Transfer case seems in good shape, but can't tell if it makes any noise over the transmission which has a bad bearing or two I suspect. T-case shifts nice and smooth though.
Transmission is noisy at idle with clutch engaged (pedal out). Noisy in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. 4th may have a bit of noise but can't really tell over the valves and cherry bomb glass pack exhaust.
I'm thinking a new (junkyard) trans is in order. I want to tear into this one and see what it needs, but more than likely parts are going to cost too much to make it worth fixing. I'll try to get some pics up of this rusty gold beast tomorrow.

Anyone ever heard of a Superlift? There's a sticker under the hood that says something about it being modified with "special" tires and suspension. Which as far as I can tell is just some springs and helpers, and some 30 9.5 15s. :icon_thumby:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Get us some pics. of your truck so that we may be able to see if it might have a lift. As for the tranny check the oil in it (and dont forget about the t-case to).

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Why does it need a valve adjustment? Aren't they hydraulic lifters? I ask because I seriously don't know about that engine.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
What Transmission is it? If its the TK you can rebuild it like cake.

The sticker comes with lift kits and such... my truck has a Warning this vehicle is equipped with a lift and larger tires... something or other... I didn't have to put it on but I just stuck it in the door jam.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Why does it need a valve adjustment? Aren't they hydraulic lifters? I ask because I seriously don't know about that engine.
Nope the 2.8L has different valves...? Well I just know you have to adjust them once in a while. only takes like 20 minutes. The only engine I know of that needs adjustment in the rangers.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya these engine lack the hydrolic lifters. After my dads were adjusted it still had a tick and so does mine but the tick is something you learn to love. But for some reason both of our ticks are on the driverside heads.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It ticks like no tomorrow.

The 2.8 does not have hydraulic lash adjusters. So adjustment has to be done manually from time to time. If you get them right it's the quietest engine you'll find in a Ranger, but it doesn't last long.

Well the front springs are yellow (old for sure, the paint looks like it has been peeling for years), and the helpers in the back were installed wrong so they're crooked. But it does have Rancho shocks, and a steering stabilizer. (not sure if that came with the "lift" or not)
The bracket to mount the stabilizer to the frame is only held on by one bolt. It looks like its the wrong bracket, but I looked it up and it's the same one Rancho lists for this generation Ranger. Maybe its just mounted in the wrong place I dunno.

I didn't get a chance to take any pics today. All I have is one crappy camera phone pic I took when I first saw the truck.
The grille bar has Ford stamped in it, and needs a repaint just as bad as the rest of the truck.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I stripped out a truck just like that, same color and everything, only it was 2wd. I'm going to be putting those same doors on my truck, the ones that have the little tri-angle window.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What Transmission is it? If its the TK you can rebuild it like cake.

The sticker comes with lift kits and such... my truck has a Warning this vehicle is equipped with a lift and larger tires... something or other... I didn't have to put it on but I just stuck it in the door jam.
I'm not sure which trans it is yet. Though the pan looked very similar to this one. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/FM146.JPG
I did drain the fluid out and found a plethora of silver and gold. And not the normal pastey stuff that just sticks to the drain plug magnet I'm talking the big chunky kind! (I'm rich!!! :yahoo: )

I did also drain and refill the T-case while I was under there and the fluid despite smelling a little old seemed OK. It was dark, certainly ready to be changed, you could still tell it was supposed to be red, but no silver in that one. Surprised me to see "AFT level" engraved on the side next to the fill plug. I figured it would want 80w-90 gear oil like the trans.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I stripped out a truck just like that, same color and everything, only it was 2wd. I'm going to be putting those same doors on my truck, the ones that have the little tri-angle window.
I love the triangle vent windows. If it didn't have them I'd take them off my old one and put them on it. I also like how the passenger side windows always seem to not lock. Makes it easy to break in when you lock the door by accident and shut it while the engine is still running. :icon_thumby:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure which trans it is yet. Though the pan looked very similar to this one. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/FM146.JPG
I did drain the fluid out and found a plethora of silver and gold. And not the normal pastey stuff that just sticks to the drain plug magnet I'm talking the big chunky kind! (I'm rich!!! :yahoo: )

I did also drain and refill the T-case while I was under there and the fluid despite smelling a little old seemed OK. It was dark, certainly ready to be changed, you could still tell it was supposed to be red, but no silver in that one. Surprised me to see "AFT level" engraved on the side next to the fill plug. I figured it would want 80w-90 gear oil like the trans.
Well the TK transmission has 2 very distinct inspection plates on the upper side of the driver side. But seeing as theres chunks I'm goign to assume somethings wrong... lol

Yeah the T case and newer manual transmissions take ATF... kinda weird but yeah... I don't mind.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Where would one look on a Ranger to see the trans code? VIN? Door sticker? I think it would be a lot easier than laying down on the ground and looking under every truck I find in the junkyard. :D

edit: Also, supposn I find a TK in the yard, where would be a good place to pick up a rebuild kit if needed?

Last edited:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'll have to ask my dad but it was only like 200 online with the extra part that broke, and it came with all new everything pretty much besides the gears...

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The TK tranny's have a 14 bolt access pan on its bottom and they are cast metal. I think the FM tranny's have an auto tranny looking cover on there bottoms, they are machine pressed into shape. If you do interchange tranny's I would make sure that your drive shaft lengths will be fine. I dont recall the TK tranny's being on 2.9's but have seen an FM on a late 2.8.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals