• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need some help wiring multiple speakers..

jdgarza_tx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I need to hook up multiple speakers, that are 7ohms each. They are for home audio. Basically I have 4 speakers, each one has a 6.5" cone woofer with dome tweeters. Each speaker has 4 connectors, and can be converted to mono. However, I do not know how to add the impedance.

If I convert each speaker to Mono and connect them in a series, will I need to calculate the impedance of the tweeters separately? I know that if I was using only one speaker and connected the speaker (mono) directly it would only be 7ohms since the tweeter and woofer are in different ranges but once you add another identical speaker wouldn't that change?

If you know of a a home audio forum pls post url.

Thanks for any and all info.

-jd

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
What are you using all these speakers for? Is it a background music setup in a house or business? Your best bet if it is for a system like I mentioned is to get yourself a 70V setup and a 70V xformer for each speaker. They often have 3 taps so you can have different zones at different volume levels. My house is set up that way. 70V amps are relatively cheap. Just look for an old Radio Shack PA amp. They usually have 70V outputs.

jdgarza_tx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info RED85.
I've decide to go with a speaker selector. I'm looking for a decent receiver that has USB capabilities. The system is basically for "whole house" background music, so no highly expensive equipment.....

-jd

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
You can simply hook up each speaker just as you normally would with car speakers. Your truck stereo is meant for 4 ohm speakers. The speakers you have, as you said, are 7 ohms. That means they have MORE resistance than regular car speakers. (An 8 ohm speaker has twice as much resistance as a 4 ohm) If it were the other way around, however, (hooking up 4 ohm car speakers to a home stereo meant for 8 ohms) then you would have to hook them up in series, beacuse there is half the resistance, and thus twice as much current running through it, and you would fry the stereo. Having too much resistance should not hurt your trucks stereo though. It won't play as loudly as before, but if you never turn it up past 1/2 volume anyway, it shouldn't be an issue. BTW, if your hooking up speakers in series, you simply add the impedances together to get the total impedance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals