• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EGR question

ZanderH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all. New here. I picked up an 84 B2 xlt 4x4 auto on friday for 400 bucks. It needs a little work, but she runs and drives. I have to get it inspection ready as soon as possible so I don't have to wake my wife and kids up anymore to take me to work. So I was poking around under the hood yesterday and saw that the rubber tube for the egr system that goes to the manifold is disconnected and plugged leaving the nipple from the manifold open and shooting exhaust gas into the engine bay which in turn is leaking into the cab. What could be the reason(s) for that tube to be disconnected and plugged? I live in Virginia, we don't get a tail pipe emissions test, but do get a visual inspect of the components so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to have it hooked up to pass inspection.

TheNicky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im having a little trouble understanding this bare with me...

On my EGR there is a plug for the computer and a nipple in which a vacum line is hooked up to.. and during certain times the vacum with suck the egr allowing the plunger piece to come up...

maybe a picture would help better i dont know?

ZanderH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Wait, I'm sorry. I see that I'm wrong. It's not the egr system. It's the thermactor system that I was looking at. The system that mixes exhaust with fresh air via the air pump located under the alternator. Sorry for the confusion.

ZanderH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Hey mods, I goofed. Could ya'll delete this thread when you get a chance?

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are two check valves on the thermactor system, at least on mine there is. One that comes from behind the engine. This one ties the two manifolds together at the back and come out from behind on the right side of the engine. The other one comes up from the cat/converter. If either of the check valves at the end of the tubes are shot it will dump exhaust gas into the engine compartment. Chances are, since this is what you described, the check valve is shot and the hot exhaust gas probably melted the hose that hooks on to the check valve. I have had this happen to me. The one that hooks to the manifold may be kind of a stinker to get to especially if the bolts(one on each manifold)are rusted or heat frozen. That part is only sold as a complete piece, piping and all. The one to the cat can be had with out the pipe. I purchased them on-line. I live in California and have to have all the smog stuff looking and working right.

Eric<><

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals