• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

puzzle lovers heres a problem

thehotwire

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
alrighty fellers here we go, ranger recently cut of on me, thought the carb was flooding itself but turns out i want getting spark and when i was pressing the gas with no spark it made it seem like it was flooding well now i replaced, coil, distr. distr. cap, rotary button and module and wires. i finally got spark, and gas, and compression but........it will not run. cranks but wont run, its getting fuel spark and compressioin and its in time, i spent forever making sure that sucker was in time, but it wont run. THAT DEFIES THE LAWS OF AN INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE, WHAT THE HECK!!! cam isnt broken cause distr turns, crank aint broke cause i checked for TDC with piston, distr works along with rotary button and cap and module and it turns, so what in the world is going on here.??? coil is getting power to it and getting spark and the plug wires are getting spark, so i thought it was spark plugs, pulled em out and there sparking.......so.......what the hell?

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
You forgot air! Are you getting air into the engine?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you changed the distributor, are you sure you're not 180 degrees out?

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
spark plug wires are in the correct positioning? that one got me, i spent $300 on injectors thinking they were weak and it turns out i had them on in the wrong position, it ran, but like crap.

dennis461

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Jeep
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
start by removing the engine

Judgeing from your other posts, you are doing an engine transplant with an engine that never ran, correct?

And, based on your other posts, you may not even have the right camshaft, distriuter or crankshaft.

So, in my opinion ( don't get upset) stop wasting time on it and get the right engine for the truck and make sure it is running first before buying it.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Have you hooked up all the vacuum lines correctly? I know mine refused to start when one of the vacuum lines was not hooked up. thats one of the big problems is not having correct vacuum with this engine.

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I am not sure but everyone is missing something which is the carb flooding and you need to find out why the carb is flooding because if the spark is right and compression is right
then it should run if it has gas flowing than it wouldn't...

thehotwire

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok, i never finished the motor, it is the original motor in the truck i never swapped it, and timing is correct, we triple checked and checked again, yes it is getting air, and although i thought possibly a vacuum line, i am spraying starter fluid in the intake manifold directly therefore it should at least fire for a second. so what the hell?

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic
do you have bosch plugs........i have had this problem on a 2.0 pinto motor. bosch plugs would not fire under compression. sounds odd, and im sure i will have ney sayers but thats cool. just something to think about.

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is correct thinking that if you have gas, air, spark and compression at the right time, it should be running. It would seem to me that one of those things is lacking. I read all the triple checked stuff...but it's not running. I would start with making sure the plug wires are where they belong. I would also check to make sure you are not 180 out on the distributor. If all those things are right, I may investigate the cam timing. Even if it wasn't getting gas it should have fired when you put starting fluid down the carb.....that is if the ignition and cam timing are correct. I didn't read weather the engine was proven before you installed it or if it was something some one assembled or something you found and installed.......

Eric:icon_welder:

schmoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83 2.8 ranger
Make / Model
84 2.3 4x4 rang
Transmission
Manual
exhaust plugged will do that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals