• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Permanently locking my hubs... Good/bad idea?

Buggyman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey Folks,

I have a 98' Ranger, 4x4, 3.0 manual with 200,000 miles on it. Since the truck had 30K miles on it, the 4x4 system has been a complete lemon. It has received new hubs from Ford, a new computer, and plenty of repairs on the motor that engages the transfer case. To my current knowledge, everything works except the hubs will not engage and aftermarket hubs do not exist for 98-00' rangers. Up to this point I have decided to live with it, but after reading some articles in the tech library, I have a few ideas to fix it.

There are a few articles here on how to get around this problem. One involves jacking the hubs and axles out of a 95' or newer Explorer and bolting it into the Ranger which will give you working manual locking hubs. The other is a simple procedure for permanently locking the vacuum hubs.

I do not know were to even start looking for a junked Explorer, so I am considering with going with option two. My only question is though... How would this thing do being driven on the road 90% of the time with hubs that are locked? I have a 50 mile commute three times a week to school, and a 40 mile commute to work with some interstate driving at 75 MPH. I also live on a farm so the other 10% of the time would be spent off roading. Would the axles and differentials be able to handle being engaged with that much on road driving? Would it be able to handle the higher interstate speeds?

Lastly, for anyone who has done option 1 with the Explorer parts, would be be possible to buy new aftermarket hubs and axles for the 95' Explorer and bolt it into my ranger? There are not any salvage yards in my area, and the ones I have checked into are asking outrageous prices for the hubs out of an old wrecked Explorer with 90K+ miles on it.

Thanks for any pointers!

-Philip

Article for permanently locking the hubs:
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Apr04/offroad.htm

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The 5.0 Explorers have no provisions for either unlocking the hubs OR a an axle disconnect and they work just fine with the hubs locked permanantly.

AD

4LO 4.O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've had mine locked for over a year now, no problems. The amount of gas that it'll waste is almost unmeasurable. Beside the remote stat this is the best modd i have done, and it was free!

Buggyman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual

I decided to go on and to lock them permentally, thanks for the link for the hubs! Thats what I have been after for a long time. Its amazing how well it works now as can be seen in the picture.

Buddha62

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
locked or unlocked???

how much of a difference is it in gas with hub always locked??? what about with hubs locked and 4wd high turned on ???

4LO 4.O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
how much of a difference is it in gas with hub always locked??? what about with hubs locked and 4wd high turned on ???
May be 1 mpg more, was worth it to me not to worry if it would work when i need it.

nobbyv

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Is permanently locking the hubs only possible with the vacuum actuated hubs, or can I do it on my '95 too?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Is permanently locking the hubs only possible with the vacuum actuated hubs, or can I do it on my '95 too?

You are lucky enough to be able to swap in a set of manual hubs very easily. They will cost you about $200, but you can lock them in and leave them forever if you want, you can also leave them unlocked and use 4-LO, but only the rear wheels will be powered, so in theory you have 2-LO, which is nice for towing heavy loads around the house, etc.

nobbyv

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You are lucky enough to be able to swap in a set of manual hubs very easily. They will cost you about $200, but you can lock them in and leave them forever if you want, you can also leave them unlocked and use 4-LO, but only the rear wheels will be powered, so in theory you have 2-LO, which is nice for towing heavy loads around the house, etc.

Yeah, that's likely what I will do. While that is pretty cheap ( I actually found the Mile Markers w/ the conversion kit for $165/shipped), I was hoping there might be something even cheaper (as in free). :D

mfp4073

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am going to jump in here. My 99 ranger truck has a non-functional 4x4 at this point. Do I understand correctly, when dealing with vac hub issues, there are 2 options. first is to do the internal mod which locks the front end all the time....the way the current rangers are (called a live axle if I remember correctly). Second is to get aftermarket locking hubs that can be locked and unlocked. This acts as a bypass to the vacuum system and either they are locked making it a live axle like above or unlocked which makes them like a a non-engaged vacuum system...thereby not causing any extra drag on the system and milage increases (no matter how small).

Tell me if I got the prize for understanding or not!

Silverado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
@mfp4073: You have it correct sir.

See my thread under 'General' for a litany of issues the used Ranger I bought has.

WRT the hub locking mod, all I have to say is summed up by the following equation:

Bad vacuum seals - $1500 haggle down for 'broken 4X4' + 4 minutes labour (it took me literally 2 minutes per side to make the mod, in the snow, with the wheels still on) + 4 new studded winter tires and $900 cash saved in my pocket = PRICELESS!

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
I think that you guys are forgetting the third option. From looking at other forums I understand that a Brazilian company is making some manuel hubs that just pop in where all the plastic crap is now. I can't remember what they are called exactly, but I know that a couple members are running them here.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that's likely what I will do. While that is pretty cheap ( I actually found the Mile Markers w/ the conversion kit for $165/shipped), I was hoping there might be something even cheaper (as in free). :D
Cheaper, yes. Free, probably not.

Junkyard manual hubs should be substantially less than $165/pair. They don't die much unless soaked in water and never repacked.

Silverado

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think that you guys are forgetting the third option. From looking at other forums I understand that a Brazilian company is making some manuel hubs that just pop in where all the plastic crap is now. I can't remember what they are called exactly, but I know that a couple members are running them here.
You're referring to the AVM brand hubs from Tellico 4X4. I intend to install these when I replace the hub/bearing assemblies down the road, probably in the spring.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals