• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dropped Pitman Arms

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking into buying dropped pitman arms. I've heard that with the 6in lifts they usually give you a new arm that is too short. Is this the case for the skyjacker 4in lift or will the 4-6in drpped arm do well at properly aligning my steering linkage?
Thanks

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

du510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MAZDA
Transmission
Manual
I had no problems properly aligning with my 4" kit - with the drop arm that came with it.

If that helps you at all....

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
the only reason i diden't run one in my truck is because i noticed the driver side frame rail twisting visibly with the steering box when i turned the wheel.open your hood and start the truckthen reach in the cab where you can see the steering box still.when you move the wheel the box should rotate a little against the direction of the pitman arm.a drop pitman arm gives it that much more leverage on the frame.i built a brace that goes from the pass. side of the engine crossmember to a clamp around the bottom of the steering box(like the jeep braces you see in mags) which helped a lot.my trucks a long bed so the bump steer isen't too bad but i want to run a superrunner set up when i can afford it.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The arm that comes with a lift will work acceptably at 3-4" lift, but not any higher (you'll need the Skyjacker pt# FA600 arm (or a custom K-link setup) to get the linkage aligned well at 5-6" lift).

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
The longer pitman arms increase the force on the gear box quite a bit. I think Todd recently had his gearbox bolts tear right through the framerail, and had to weld on a beefy backing plate.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
most 4" arms dont work good witha 6" lift. Too short. 4" arms work with any lift 2-4". STX highrider pitman arm is the same exact dimensions as a 4" arm FYI. Jeep CJ 4" arm is the same as a ranger/b2 arm.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The longer pitman arms increase the force on the gear box quite a bit. I think Todd recently had his gearbox bolts tear right through the framerail, and had to weld on a beefy backing plate.
How might that be?

I could see large tires or uncorrected alignment increasing the force on the gearbox, but the drop should be parallel to the sector shaft, and therefore shouldn't change the force on its own.

A correct drop will also not change the steering linkage angles from stock; that's the point of dropping it.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
How might that be?

I could see large tires or uncorrected alignment increasing the force on the gearbox, but the drop should be parallel to the sector shaft, and therefore shouldn't change the force on its own.

A correct drop will also not change the steering linkage angles from stock; that's the point of dropping it.
put it this way,the frame rail is the pivot point and the distance from its center to the point where the end of the drop arm would be perpendicular to the sector shaft is the distance that steering forces have as leverage against the frame.if you move the distance down the sector shaft centerline you make more leverage against the frame so it twists more and fails sooner.bigger tires will increase the amount of force to turn them but the drop arm will increase the leverage.not a good combo when put together.i figured you'd understand that MAKG:icon_twisted::thefinger:

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That's not leverage on the gearbox. It's leverage on the mounting bolts.

So use bigger mounting bolts and reinforce the frame.... IF it's really a problem. I have a very hard time believing that it's anywhere near as bad as you say -- most drops less than double the distance, so those bolts would have to be marginal in stock form. Or your buddy spun his truck out and whanged a curb.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
How might that be?

You have a good point. I actually can't think of why the force on the frame rail would be increased from a Physics standpoint.

It does seem however, from practical experience, that it is increased. I know someone above said they noticed the rail twisting much more after the install and built a brace. Todd had his longer arm in for no more than a month before the bolts tore right through the rail. After I installed mine, my gearbox sprung a leak in the lower sector shaft seal.

Now, you could reasonably say that this is caused by running large tires, locked axles, and abuse on the trail, but the timing is suspicious.

Maybe the longer shaft causes the box to want to rotate more on a perpendicular plane around the frame rail rather than on a parallel plane which is more the norm, and what the bolt pattern is designed for.

A vector diagram would be hepful here, as I have a lot of trouble visualizing all the forces on a TTB.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
...I have a very hard time believing that it's anywhere near as bad as you say -- most drops less than double the distance
Even a 50% increase of a lever's length translates into a lot of force. Some of the arms I've seen on 6" lifts are really long! It takes a big drop to get down to that level.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A 50% increase of a lever's length leads to a 50% increase in force. That's it.

An impact can raise the force by a factor of several (easily), possibly much more.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
A 50% increase of a lever's length leads to a 50% increase in force. That's it.

Yup. I don't think you'll find anyone passed the 4th grade who would argue with that. Good old simple machines.

I'm saying that a 50% increase in force is quite a bit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals