• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheel Bearings

Automan1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 92 4x4 Ranger and the front wheel bearing lock nut keeps coming loose. I have torqued it to 130 ft. lb. as I recall reading that that was the spec. The wheel bearings about a year old and are still good. Any ideas why they keep coming loose?

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most of the time they come loose because something wasn't done properly. I have read many posts with the same problem but, I've never had the problem myself.
What size tire are you running? Bigger tires seem to cause this more often.
Start by Torquing the first nut to 20 ft/lbs while turning the rotor, then back the nut off and hand tighten while holding the rotor still. Make sure the washer goes on the pin of the first nut and seats flat! Then tighten the second nut as tight as possible. you can break the second nut by over tightening it so it takes some trial and error to get it just right. I use my impact and just slam the nut down. I haven't broke one or had one come loose.
Most of the time when I fix someone elses, I find the pin pushed into the first nut because they didn't make sure it was lined up properly.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
The torque spec that warn recommends is no where near enough if you are running larger than stock tires. I torque mine down to 230ft-lbs and have no problems with it.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here's the procedure more or less by the book.

Put the first nut on and torque it to 35ft#. Then turn the shit out of the rotor, back and forth and keep retorquing it to 35ft# until the nut won't go anymore. You have to squeeze the grease out or it will immediately loosen. It takes about ten sets of turning and retorquing before the bearing is fully seated.

Next, turn the nut carefully backwards 90 degrees. You will feel the tension go completely off the ratchet. Don't bump it--you don'e want anything to move.

Next, set the preload. This is important. The books says 16 INCH POUNDS. I go 25 INCH POUND. It's not much torque, but you need it. Two cans of beer stacked on a ratchet handle is about right.

Next, put the washer on making sure the tit goes into a hole. Torque the outer nut to 150ft#. Some people go more, I never do. I've run 35s with huge offset without it coming loose. I normally run 31s on stock rims.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals