• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Giga bytes

RangerJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How many giga bytes should the average computer have? Yes I am not computer savvy. Thanks

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
This is a good place to ask that question, don't even think about asking the same thing at a computer store.
The first question you should ask yourself is what you want to use the computer for?. The question you should then ask is "I want to do 'whatever' with a computer, what specs should it have?
If you post a short idea of what you want to do with it, one of the experts on here will give you a rough idea of what you will need.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Are we talking storage, processing, or RAM? And, as mentioned, what do you want it for?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
yep, it all comes down to what you are going to use the computer for. my guess is that since you are not computer savvy, you are not out for the fastest and most powerful system.

for just average everyday use, a system with a 200gb or better harddrive and 2 gb of RAM and a dual core 1.6ghz processor will do most of what you want. probably a video card with 128k of shared memory will be sufficient.

IF you are doing a lot of video editing, you want a lot more harddrive storage (>1 tb) and minimum of 3gb of RAM, (make sure you have a 64bit version of Vista to handle more than 3gb of RAM). you will also want a stand alone video card with its own memory >256mb.

IF it is used for a gaming rig, get a quad core processor of at least 2.6ghz and a video card with 512mb of memory. 3gb of RAM minimum (again use a 64 bit version of Vista to take advantage of anything beyond 3gb of RAM) and a 500 gb harddrive or better.

Also, in the gaming rig setup, your memory speed and processor front side bus speed and video card processor speed and video RAM speed will be a factor on how it plays the games. you can spend anywhere from 700 bucks for a low end system (if you build it yourself) to several thousand dollars.

To give you an example of what 750 bucks gets you (at least back in Feb of 2009) here is my computer that I built:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard which supports 1600mhz, 1333mhz, 1066mhz, 800mhz frontside bus quad core processors,
supports 4 DDR2 dimm memory modules up to 16gb, memory speed supported: 1366, 1066, 800, 667 mhz
On board audio: Realtek ALC889A w/ 2/4/5.1 and 7.1 channel support
two 10/100/1000 Mbit onboard ethernet jacks
expansion:
1 pci express x16 running at x16
1 pci express x16 running at x8
3 pci express x1 slots
2 pci slots
up to 3 IEEE 1394a ports (2 on the back side, one internal)
up to 12 USB 2.0 (8 on the back panel, 4 internal)
Support for 6 SATA drives

Processor: Intel Quad Core q9550 yorkfield 2.83ghz with 1333 mhz front side bus

RAM: 4 gb (2 x 2GB) dual channel from G.Skill (1066mhz speed)

Harddrive: 640gb Western Digital Caviar SATA (7200rpm and 3gb/s seek time)

Video Card: GeForce 9800GT 512mb w/ DDR3 memory PCI express x16 v. 2.0

500 watt power supply to run it all.

For this build I saved some money by reusing the case from the old system and the DVD ROM and the lightscribe DVD burner, the keyboard, mouse, 19in CRT monitor and Altec Lansing 2 channel w/ sub speakers.

Need to replace the CRT monitor with something a bit more up to date...

AJ

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Processors don't have gigabytes. :D
And Dodges don't have RAM...lol

I agree with the above posts...but you probably won't want anything less than 1 Gig of RAM and 80 Gigs of Hard Drive space...even if you're a newby to computers it's usually to go a bit higher than to find out later your system won't handle what your (newly found) hobbies such as playing games or having numerous Browsers (internet explorer for example) or applications open...

So I would recommend a system with 2 gigs or RAM and 100 Gigs of Hard disk space...if you can find a system that low these days...

RangerJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Was looking at the local Walmart sale paper advertising computers(laptop) with 1GB memory and 160GB harddrive for $398.00 HP brand. Just wondering if this was a good price and if the GB were enough. Do not need anything fancy Just basic for Grandkids school work, a few games and surfing. Thanks

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Was looking at the local Walmart sale paper advertising computers(laptop) with 1GB memory and 160GB harddrive for $398.00 HP brand. Just wondering if this was a good price and if the GB were enough. Do not need anything fancy Just basic for Grandkids school work, a few games and surfing. Thanks
Just compare it with other stores in your area if possible because the prices can vary depending on several factors...including options available, warranty, store costs (higher rent areas can't offer better deals than low rent areas)...

But HP is a good brand and if you've got the cash...go for it...just try to find out if the RAM or any other parts are upgradeable...2 Gigs of RAM on a laptop is good...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Wow...I couldn't even find that model in Canada...and the prices were two to three times for anything even close to it...maybe time to do some cross-border shopping...

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Crap, Tiger and Newegg has had some amazing deals on laptops lately.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I'd like a laptop...I'm tired of desktops...more so the tangle of wires than the performance or weight and bother of moving/storing one...but I think I might have to wait until I'm gainfully employed before jumping on that ship...

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced my desktop with a laptop a few years ago. I also have my EEE PC, which I absolutely love and actually use more than my laptop when I'm doing light duty stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals