• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hubs or wheel bearings....

ozzwoman9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have had (what I consider) excessive "tire noise" for over a month now. It started as a slight squeak on left turns and then suddenly one day it became the above noise after taking the truck for a little mild offroading. I've been driving for over a month now and the noise doesn't seem to be getting worse. So how can I tell if it's a wheel bearing or if the hubs are messed up?

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ozz, I'm not familiar with your truck, but your avatar seems to suggest a 98/99 2wd?

Wheel bearing noise often increases with speed, and sounds like a whirring/humming sound. You can check for play by jacking up the front end, and wiggling the tire in and out, grabbing the tire from the top and bottom. You can also check for ball joint play this way.

How are your tires? Do they look out of round? Any shakes on the highway?

ozzwoman9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
its a 99 4x4

Tires need replaced soon, but this noise started suddenly so I'm not leaning towards that. All ball joints are new. No shaking on hwy.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Other sources of noise might be worn front brakes or a rock/nail/other foreign object stuck in a tire tread. A damaged tread can also make noise. I would suggest rotating the tires and seeing if the noise moves.

ozzwoman9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Tires were rotated not that long ago. They are down to the wear mark, brakes are fine and fairly new. I guess I'll jack the front up tomorrow and check for play again now that I have been driving a while on it like this and see. I guess if I have no play then I will go ahead and get some new tires within the next week or so (I need them b4 inspection in Dec anyway).

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ahh, it's a 4x4, I couldn't tell by the pic.

The wheel bearings are sealed inside a hub assembly, and cannot be replaced separately. The hub assembly must be replaced as a unit. With these units, it is very clear if the bearing is gone. As you speed up you will hear a whirring sound get louder and louder the faster you go, meaning they need to be replaced.

I would suspect the tires, as MAKG said, due to the fact that they are at the wear line. However, do jack up the front end and check for play.

ozzwoman9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, that answers alot of questions. The sound does change w/speed (but that could be the tires as well). I think I'm gonna check for play today and if I see nothing then get some new tires. I honestly think my hubs need replaced anyway as they did not want to lock in properly last time I used them (I spun on a small hill covered in grass...lol). But aparently these things aren't cheap either ($300+ per side)....ouch.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
You would be better off to order a set of AVM manual hubs. They are a little over $100 a set and you know they are locked when you need them, and unlocked when you don't.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You would be better off to order a set of AVM manual hubs. They are a little over $100 a set and you know they are locked when you need them, and unlocked when you don't.
The AVMs just replace the outer hub disconnect, not the hub assembly. Those are still retained regardless. If the hubs aren't locking in properly, the AVMs will solve the issue as usually it's related to vacuum issues in the hub disconnect.

However, if the bearing is gone, you still have to replace the hub assembly. I can get them for about $250 around here. Do you have 4 wheel ABS? It's important to know, because if you don't then the hub assemblies you'll need are about $50 cheaper since they don't have the ABS sensor on them.

I would suggest getting a good brand name hub assembly, such as Timken. In my experience with my truck and my friends' late model Rangers, the Timken hub assemblies tend to last a lot longer than other brands.

ozzwoman9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have no noticeable play in the wheels. I think I am going to replace the tires next weekend and see if that helps. I remember last time my tires wore and I had some noise, but I also had some other front end issues at that time too....so who knows. I'll just keep an eye on it and if I get stuck in the 1st snow then I guess I will be spending some more money (eh, I've already spent $1k on it in the last few months...what's a $1k more).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals