• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Baja Claws ? for what purpose ?

Carlos Murphy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just bought a used set of M/T wheels with M/T Baja Claws on them in 33/12:50-15 in good condition.

My first time out and I punched a hole in a outer side wall and thats when I discovered they have only two-ply side walls.

What the hell are they good for? Sand dunes? Mud? Snow?
Sure as hell not rocks...:nono:

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What a bummer dude!

I thought those tires were pretty durable with the prices they want for them new you know? I guess your experience will teach others here to stay away from rocks with them.

Allen

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Radial Claws?

There are some fairly tough two-ply tires out there, although I don't know where the Baja Claw places overall.

The bias-ply Claw is a lot more durable though (but of course won't wear as well, and has most of the other drawbacks typical of bias-ply type tires).

I'd get some BFG MTs. I'm very happy with mine (there's actually a growing number of 3-ply tires out on the market now. In addition to the Goodyear MT/R, there's a Discoverer STT made by Cooper now also. I THINK the new Kumho might be a 3-ply also, but not sure).

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Or buy you a set of BOGGERS and be done...........But I agree a good set of BFG MT's. I run those on my Explorer and They are great(I run BOGGERS on my Ranger and have never had problems in the rocks........).............

Carlos Murphy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Tires

I HAD Super Swampers on prior to the Claws, they were

poor in the mud, got stuck in a medow for over three

hours once with nothing to winch too.

josh-the-ranger

Reaction score
I HAD Super Swampers on prior to the Claws, they were

poor in the mud, got stuck in a medow for over three

hours once with nothing to winch too.
Ok, yeah im sure they suck in the mud since pretty much every hardcore mud bogger uses them...

Carlos Murphy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
mud

Ok, yeah im sure they suck in the mud since pretty much every hardcore mud bogger uses them...
Sooo, yer tellin me I DIDN'T get stuck in the mud?

Give me your email and I'll send you pics, I don't know how to post them on this site.
C.M.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If Super Swampers are "poor in the mud", then it just might be time you start looking for some agricultural tractor tires instead.

Snowplow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Baja claws are a outdated design. If you like the directional layout of the claws, go with the ProComp Xterrian comp tires. They have the same basic design, but are much better because of the grooves in the blocks. Plus, they grip like no others.

Carlos Murphy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm talking about the TrXus "STS" Super Swampers and not the "BOGGER" Super Swampers.

The STS's were great on rough, rocky trails and soft stuff running 8 PSI but were not jagged enough to pull me out of the underground springs black mud I was stuck in (15 PSI).

The only fault I have with the Claws so far is the two ply side walls, weathers been too dry and no snow to test them but they sure look like they'll do the job.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Radial Claws?

There are some fairly tough two-ply tires out there, although I don't know where the Baja Claw places overall.

The bias-ply Claw is a lot more durable though (but of course won't wear as well, and has most of the other drawbacks typical of bias-ply type tires).

I'd get some BFG MTs. I'm very happy with mine (there's actually a growing number of 3-ply tires out on the market now. In addition to the Goodyear MT/R, there's a Discoverer STT made by Cooper now also. I THINK the new Kumho might be a 3-ply also, but not sure).
X2. Bias ply is the only way to go. Most radials are weak sidewalls. Baja Claws wear kinda crappy and tend to cup and feather.

DD I'd stay with some type of radial though. My Bridgestone Duealer ATs were really good all around, but would suck in the mud you described. In that type of mud an Interco bias ply TSL, TSL/SX or Bogger is your best bet. BFG MTs are pretty good, but keep an eye on your sidewalls.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
If you like the directional layout of the claws, go with the ProComp Xterrian comp tires. They have the same basic design, but are much better because of the grooves in the blocks. Plus, they grip like no others.
One of the truck magazines did a mud tire test about a year ago and X-Terrains finished last by a long shot. Good on rock and sand though.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
One of the truck magazines did a mud tire test about a year ago and X-Terrains finished last by a long shot. Good on rock and sand though.
X2, and I remember that now that you mention it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals