• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch

the pirate

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

4 cylinder FI

4 gear with overdrive and a reverse.

2 wd

So I am back to where I was before I pulled the tranny and replaced all the clutch system parts. The pedal goes down to the floor and the clutch engages and disengages right at the end of the pedal travel. I have a new master cylinder, pressure plate, clutch disk, and slave cylinder. I bled the system about a week ago and seemed to get a nice hard pedal. But since then the truck was sitting for a week waiting for a new filler neck. Now it is smoosh again. It does not seem to have lost any fluid and the MC reservoir is still full. I guess I am going to check all the connections and use the inspection hole to see if the “new” slave cylinder is leaking. Beyond that I am out of ideas. I cant be bleeding this clutch every week. If any one has any ideas pleas share.

Thanks P

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Air in the system or master cylinder.

As posted in another thread by AD:

I bleed the master cylinder while holding it in my hands with the reservoir and clutch line attached (no slave cylinder)

I have a friend hold the reservoir up and I orient the master "nose up" and press in the pushrod by hand (air is compressible, fluid is not) I keep moving the clutch line and the master cylinder around to work all the air out of the line and cylinder and up into the reservoir
When you can no longer push the pushrod in by hand the job is done, (it feels like you are trying to compress a steel bar) you can then install the master into the firewall (bend the plastic inner fender out of the way with a small ratchet strap)

Though this is easier to do if instead of using the pushrod to bleed a NEW master cylinder you use instead a screwdriver as a pushrod and only install the pushrod AFTER you've mounted the master to the firewall

the '93-94 and '95-current master cylinders CANNOT (absolutely cannot) be bled
when mounted to the firewall (I may be wrong, but I've never accomplished it)

The '85-92 master cylinder bleeds out rather nicely when bolted into place, but
though the '93-up clutch line will attach to it allowing the use of the '93-up slave cylinder you probably wouldn't like the result....

AD

Good Luck,

Ryan

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals