• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Toyota Tacoma

firefighter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
anybody know anything about tacomas. I'm looking at getting one becaue there's no rangers in my area that are priced to compaire. I cant find anyting on the net with as much info as therangerstation.

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
You need to look over any 1995-2004 Tacoma very carefully. The frames are prone to severe rust, and Toyota has been buying back and crushing a lot of the trucks, and replacing the frame on others.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
When did they replace a frame? I wouldn't say that they are prone to severe rust either. Some have suffered from severe rust but as of right now it is still a relatively small number of those trucks. Toyota has bought back quite a few over this, but they sold a ton of those things. Plus, if you had a rusted one, it's worth it!! 1.5 times blue book "excellent" condition.

I would check them over the same as any other truck. Frame included of course.

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
They are certainly more prone to severe rust than other trucks. I'm not aware of any other manufacturer that has been buying back trucks because of rot on trucks that aren't even 10 years old.

I guess it's not that many though...

Yep, those are all buybacks at one dealer.

01+ trucks get new frames.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4255505

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I worked for Toyota. I am aware of the buybacks. Do you know how many tacomas they sold? Plus, let's face it. Getting your vehicle bought back for 1.5 times it value, regardless of condition, is nice. Toyota is standing behind their product.

monstergarage87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Im on #3 now. Best and only trucks ive ever owned.. well atleast as daily drivers. If you need more info, check out ttora.com . Its an offroad forum for tacomas or if your getting a 2wd, you could try customtacos

Crazythingsido2

07/2009 & 04/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
tacomas are nice trucks. they can handle themselves off road pretty good and there still good dd

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Wonder???

Howa person would go bout gettin one of those RIGHT?

I've got 2 good Ranger frames that could find a home under one of them late model bodies!:icon_idea: Ya, I know you'd have to do some modifyin:icon_welder:, but WTH!

Be a real BASTARD wouldn't it.........SBC powered Toyota on a Ranger frame:icon_twisted::icon_cheers:

firefighter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the support. I'm glad to find good friends even though i'm looking at the compitition.

Matthew18

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
95-04 from what i heard have bad frame rot i would stay away from them

if u type in tocoma frame rot in google, and read the horror storys people are posting bout them u should steer clear

but at least the toy company is standing buy there rotting trucks

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The customers I saw with the rotted Taco frames couldn't have asked for better luck. They got thousands more than it was worth and often got a newer truck with no out of pocket.

monstergarage87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, i had one of those. The day after the buyback program came out, i was at the dealer getting my truck inspected. I knew it was bad so they bought my truck back. It was a 2000 so i got $17k for the truck. And then this past summer i took my money ad bought myself a brand new 09 Trd tacoma.

RIP little taco... i miss you

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The customers I saw with the rotted Taco frames couldn't have asked for better luck. They got thousands more than it was worth and often got a newer truck with no out of pocket.
Sure, Toyota is being generous with the buyback, but I'd rather not have to deal with the problem in the first place.

Plus, I think the buyback only applies if you owned the truck before the buybacks started. So if you buy a rotted Tacoma now, you may be SOL.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Toyota may be standing behind their product, but I would still be very hesitant to buy anything from a company that builds vehicles with frames that rust in half in less than 10 years.

Toyota basically gets a free pass in the media and all the car magazines (until recently anyways) and most people's opinion of them are usually unfounded, severly overrated, and usually based on the fact that "well, everyone thinks they're good, so they must be good".

I've got more dirt on Yota's than I care to type here... That being said toyota really isn't any worse with problems than any major car company, but they're definately not one step down from God like alot of people like to make them out to be. And don't get me wrong, a mid-90's taco would be my next choice of truck after the ranger.

Ranger's usually resale for much less than taco's, have you checked craigslist? I can find all kinds of ranger's for sale around here, and I'm just a few miles south of the WI-IL border...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals