• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission Crossmember End Bushings?

scott7556

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1995 4.0L 2wd 5spd:
Does anyone know if the transmission crossmember bushings at the ends are replaceable, and if so, where might I find them? Mine are pretty rotted!
Thanks in advance!

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
if your crossmember has the really big rubber bushings in the ends and they are either worn out or the steel has rotted out then your only real option is to get a new one from the dealer. the bushings are molded into the crossmember and are not sold separatley.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Damn, now THAT is some lame-o design!

Bravo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was just doing a simple clutch replacement and naturally it turned into a nightmare of frozen bolts etc. I'm ready to button it all up except for the crossmember, which I had to remove with a sawzall! Now I'm faced with scrapping a perfectly good crossmember because Ford(Mazda) saw fit to make the bushings irreplaceable! Thanks for the wisdom ForOffRoadDriving, I'm off to the junkyard now.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I ran into a similar problem in a old Hyundai many years ago. The grommets were not replaceable.

My solution to the problem was to head to a local surplus store that sold All the stuff that no one thinks about. like grommets, bolts, chains, Hydraulics, gas motors.

Basically a real hardware store. they had grommets many sizes. I got several sizes dirt cheap and ended up carving up the largest to fit the crossmember ends I also bought new bushings in various sizes and bolts, washers.

I think I ended up paying about 30 bucks in hardware and another hour of my time to make the grommets and bushings fit.

In a heartbeat. it was a ugly fix. but it worked and who the hell crawls under a car to admire how pretty the crossmember is on a 1.5 liter Hyundai?

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
my 94 has a solid mount crossmember which bolts right to the inside of the frame rails, and i once modified the rubber bushing style one to bolt up like the one on my 94, but it suffered horrible vibrations afterward. one thing i have thought about lately though was that if you bount some control arm bushings for say a buick or a pontiac you could measure the diameter of the steel sleeve around the bushings and then find the apropriate diameter pipe and cut the pipe to length and then press the bushings in the ends, creating a new rubber suspended mount. now you would just have to cut off the old bushing and assorted rust and weld the new pieces of pipe to the old crossmember.
http://autoparts.thecarconnection.com/auto-part/138294-moog-chassis-k5298-lower-front-control-arm-bushing

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
An easier fix for this, and a much better one in my opinion, is to grab a crossmember from a 1st gen explorer, or 2nd gen ranger. The design is much better, and is a bolt on swap. Your frame already has the holes pre-drilled. One on the left frame rail, and the 3 where the existing member is bolted to on the right. Knock the old Rivets out, and throw that junk crossmember away. The left side is bolted on top of the inside frame rail. Use grade 8 bolts found at any hardware store.... You shouldn't get any vibrations from this swap. It's solid and does not allow movement on the tail shaft of the trans. I personally done this on my 95 3.0.

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
To clarify the left side of the crossmember rests on the INSIDE of the
frame on top of the lower flange.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals