• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC condensor/compressor noise?

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello All, I'm new to these forums, however I've owned quite a few rangers since I began driving. My latest ranger (the 95) I just purchased has a minor problem.. Upon the vehicle running I hear this loud scratch sound only while the a/c is on, So I lifted the hood to find the culprit. What I found was what looked like the pump above the power steering pump (ac compressor?) was making noise, and the pulley not spinning with the rest :icon_confused:. I applied a little pressure to the pulley, and the pulley engaged and began to run thus stopping the noise. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening?
Truck runs fine otherwise. Any responses will be gladly appreciated!

Thanks
ati190

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also, failed to mention, What I applied pressure to, was the pulley/clutch unit at the end of the compressor. I was looking through another thread, and now know what that item is. Is the a/c clutch shot? or Is the entire compressor itself? The belt is tight as well, it will spin very slowly and make a scratch/grinding noise until the clutch fully engages and then everything is normal, and this noise is not consistant (50/50)..

Thanks
ati190

Last edited:

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure you have a full 12 volts going to the compressor connector. If there is a voltage drop, the clutch will be slow to pull in. I would replace the clutch, as that is probably your problem anyway, but you want to make sure there is enough voltage to operate the new one.

When you replace with a new one, if it snaps closed quickly, then you have sufficient voltage. Sounds like a weak clutch coil.:)shady

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is the clutch hard to change? From looking at it, it seems like a belt and a couple bolts to remove the clutch from the compressor... I'm just getting into wrenching heavily now as I'm beginning to aquire tools :yahoo:. I've never done something like this before, however I've replaced engines etc.

Thanks
ati190

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ive seen the splines on the compresser gum up and cause the clutch to drag like your describing. you might just pull the clutch plate off (just remove the one bolt in the middle) and clean/grease the splines to allow the plate to slide easier.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Remove the nut for the clutch plate and the plate. Behind the plate there is a large snap ring. Remove the snap ring, and the clutch coil assembly will come off the shaft. Reverse to re-install.

If you need a little room to get to it, unbolt the compressor from it's bracket, and you can tilt it up. Don't take any lines loose, not necessary.:)shady

UnderMedikated

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Check your A/C pressure. The low pressure cut off switch my be keeping your compressor off. Does your A/C work if you kick start the compressor?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Umm, he's noticing that his clutch is only partially engaging. This cannot be caused by refrigerant.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ive seen the splines on the compresser gum up and cause the clutch to drag like your describing. you might just pull the clutch plate off (just remove the one bolt in the middle) and clean/grease the splines to allow the plate to slide easier.
What splines? Ford clutch plates are mounted on the shaft with Woodruff keys, not splines. There is no sliding of the plate.:)shady

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
not on the rangers. the shaft and clutch disk are splined (at least mine are...perhaps its a one-off variant :icon_twisted:).

though on this system the clutch does not slide (there was a post here that corrected me, but it seems to have disappeared)...so thats probably not the problem. i remember hearing a procedure on setting the air gap on the clutch disk before, but ive never "officially" done so. on mine, i used a flat tip screwdriver to bent and tweak the clutch disk to achieve an even 1/8" or so gap all the way around.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals