• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How long would a A4LD last if.....

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
So I've still got the worthless POS 1990 ranger in the back yard. It has a broken 2.9L with a perfect shape A4LD with a HUGE tranny cooler on it (about 12"x24" Aluminum tube and fin). I know it's in great shape cause I took it out and had the front seal and torque converter replaced when I got the truck last winter. The guy who did the work said it looked great inside. Then the 2.9 took a crap 2000 miles later.

Anyways, I was trying to decide what engine I want to put in it. The idea of a low boost turbocharged 4.0 intrigues me. No more than 5-7 PSI. However, that should be good for near 300 ft-lbs of torque.

The truck has a 7.5" with 3.55 gears and 205/70R14 tires.

How long do you all think I could get the 2.9 spec A4LD to last behind such an engine? I'd keep the monster cooler and put a temp gauge on the tranny fluid to I could back off if it got too hot.

Or should I just save myself the trouble and put a M5OD in it with the new engine?

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

why would you even consider running such a weak trans and rear end behind a boosted engine. those units dont hold up behind the n/a engines that come in the trucks....they certainly wont be long for this world behind a turbocharged engine.

IMO, if the question is "when will it fail" rather than "will it fail", save yourself the hassle and replace them now.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, but I kinda want an auto. I already have a 5-spd turbo ranger. It's going to be a junkyard build that doesn't need to be reliable. Heat is what kills autos and I definately have a good system for getting the heat out. Also it's not like there is going to be a huge torque differential across the clutch plates in the tranny - It's got an open 3.55 rear end with half bald 14" tires. Can you say "1 tire fire" ?!?!?!

More opinions please....

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
heat kills auto transmissions, but so does poor designing and inferior quality.

if you want an auto, go with a C5 or C4. they can be adapted without too much work and are much, MUCH stronger. they also have much better aftermarket support.

a shorter gear ratio (numerically lower) will INCREASE torque inside the tranmission, as well as putting a lot more responsability on the torque converter to get the process moving (heat). those tiny tires are your only saving grace.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
This could be a stupid idea, but could you use a newer auto? Are they even compatible?

I've heard that the RBV autos have improved over time and aren't as bad.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I just get depressed when thinking about having to swap trannies too. It may never happen if I have to do that much work.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
This could be a stupid idea, but could you use a newer auto? Are they even compatible?

I've heard that the RBV autos have improved over time and aren't as bad.
Newer auto's need a newer computer to run them. That's a huge pain in the rear wiring swap that I'd like to avoid...

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
DOOOOO IT!!! :clapping:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
All that can happen is it will break, right? That's all it's doing now, sitting there broken because of the stupid 2.9. It's going to be a junkyard build anyways.

The only thing that could happen is if I steal that tranny to put in my aunt's '93 3.0 ranger after swapping bellhousings. Otherwise I've got no use for it, so I may as well break it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals